Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much threat should a paladin do?

So, signed up for random, got POS heroic. Group not brilliantly geared, but I'm not one of those douches who leaves at that, so I stay.

Long story short, the run took about 45 minutes, many wipes, all because of the tank's threat. He was a tankadin, using seal of command and righteous fury (although he needed reminded a lot to use RF), and he was topping 2.5k TPS (not dps) on the bosses....

needless to say, I was pulling agro from autoattacking alone.

Am I wrong in expecting even 232 geared protadins to do more threat than this? Shouldn't they be pulling at least 3.5k-4k TPS?
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Re: How much threat should a paladin do?

He should do over ninethousand!!

Seriously, by just whacking the boss and clicking the 4-5 abilities he's got, the TPS should be 4k+ WITHOUT any effort. Although tanking bosses with SoComm is stupid, but shouldn't be the alone reason for 2k tps.... I think the tank was just slightly dumb!

They should pull more. I don't use SoC, and don't really have a problem in heroics. If you were constantly reminding him to use RF, sounds like he might be new to the role/class, so I'd chock it up to inexperience. Was he using ret aura? I like to keep ret aura on for group pulls, but generally on bosses I swap to resists, if any fit.

had to get this in... plus the fact that he's alliance (assumption based on the fact that your sig denotes you as a gnome)

Yes, I'm still level 80. No I don't have cataclysm.

Deleted

Yeah something doesn't sound right. I've tripped up the stairs to the LOS tactic and generated more threat than that.

Did he pop wings at any time during the boss fights? Unless I have reason to be concerned about the healing I'll do that just so for the last half the fight I can relax a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    2.5k TPS
    my guard... that's just above what i do with auto attacks

He probably used only Judgement (and Avengers Shield on pulls). HotR+SoComm = brb until you're finished here. In heroics it's pretty close call to switch to SoV on bosses...maybe if you got sick over geared warlocks/warriors in the group...otherwise it won't matter.
    There is a reason blizzard thinks about nerfing HotR+SoComm..it's just too cool You can't DS/WW/BS/... over that amount of aggro, assuming you use RF.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Adiar
    If not, he's using a dagger or something...
    as a paladin... riiiiiiiight...

no seriously, even if paladins could use daggers, it wouldn't really change his threat production.
    ...just another dream within a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Skollvaldr
    as a paladin... riiiiiiiight...

no seriously, even if paladins could use daggers, it wouldn't really change his threat production.
    Maybe his shield was broken and he used a two hander.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

he was using AW a few times on bosses (i mean more than once, as I said I couldn't attack half the time, so boss fights were VERY long). He seemed to be using a fair bit of mana, so I assume he was using some skills, but...

yeah, 2.5k TPS was his MAX also, his average was about 1.5.....
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon
    He should do over ninethousand!!
    I do that much.

LOL

I really don't think low lvl cons would be the culprit considering on a lot of pulls I don't use it.

He might have been ret. Was he using a sword and shield? If he were ret that would account for it. I tried tanking as ret with a sword and shield. It's doable.....barely. But I think I was pulling over 2.5k more like 4k+.

There's a macro on the interwebz that allows 80 paladins in full greens to get atleast 1700~ DPS by continuesly clicking A SINGLE button.
    I, with a mixture of greens, blues and epics pull about 2200~ cruise control. (Humping
    3kGS atm)

He's doing something wrong, badly - theres nothing bad about leaving a group when you got a reason other then GS.

Going to say the most obvious. maybe he got a new weapon and had very low weapon skill?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Purusum
    They should pull more. I don't use SoC, and don't really have a problem in heroics. If you were constantly reminding him to use RF, sounds like he might be new to the role/class, so I'd chock it up to inexperience. Was he using ret aura? I like to keep ret aura on for group pulls, but generally on bosses I swap to resists, if any fit.

had to get this in... plus the fact that he's alliance (assumption based on the fact that your sig denotes you as a gnome)
    Even without Ret Aura he shouldnt be that low on TPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    he was using AW a few times on bosses (i mean more than once, as I said I couldn't attack half the time, so boss fights were VERY long). He seemed to be using a fair bit of mana, so I assume he was using some skills, but...

yeah, 2.5k TPS was his MAX also, his average was about 1.5.....
    Was he OOM at any point? Also, I heard Tanks don't like gnomes to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTomato
    Going to say the most obvious. maybe he got a new weapon and had very low weapon skill?
    This is possible- You could always Armory his profile and check, if the OP still remembers his name/realm.

Quote Originally Posted by paladinnox
    I've helped at least 2 pally tanks with RankWatch. Low rank Consecrate was the problem and I got a couple of nice whispers about fixing their 'weird' threat issues.
    QFT! if he dual specced at a low level all his spells will be redonkulously low ranked and his threat will hurt from it.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse
    QFT! if he dual specced at a low level all his spells will be redonkulously low ranked and his threat will hurt from it.
    Spells will replace themselves in both specs with the most recent rank automatically.

No worries Tinker. Im used to pulling aggro on my ret pala on every single Heroic (No matter how much I hold back, i overaggro, yay for Max endgame gear)

Was he half AFK? I don't look at my TPS in heroics but when I get to raid as prot I can get it up to 11k with wings, 8k sustained. 2.5k is like auto attacking with a seal up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Spells will replace themselves in both specs with the most recent rank automatically.
    Not always. I have had it not replace itself on alts before and wondered why my DPS was so low.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Triston
    Was he half AFK? I don't look at my TPS in heroics but when I get to raid as prot I can get it up to 11k with wings, 8k sustained. 2.5k is like auto attacking with a seal up.

Not always. I have had it not replace itself on alts before and wondered why my DPS was so low.
    Really? Weird, I didnt have that problem with my DK when she was leveling up- Ofc, i did forget sometimes to go and actually TRAIN my new ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Really? Weird, I didnt have that problem with my DK when she was leveling up- Ofc, i did forget sometimes to go and actually TRAIN my new ranks
    Unless they've fixed it spells on offspecs don't upgrade automatically. Only the active spec upgrades.

around 14-15k in 25man, 12-14 in 10man. cant say bout heroic because there is no exact threat needed. and dont forget if the npcs are casters its super shit to tank(especially FOS)