Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I was denied entry into an icc10 run yesterday as my offspec (holy)
    I had a mix of gear from ulduar to totgc25, and 5.2k gs.
    I also had cleared icc10 and some of the hardmodes.
    Apparently thats not enough to do the first 4 bosses in a pug.......

Maybe they preffered a holy paladin stacking crit/ mp5 264 items and occassionally pressing flash of light...

Depending on what you're looking to do with the group I'd say a min of 5200, 5600 if you're going for LK with Hardmodes on the way. Then if someone whispers me with a GS that's within 150 or so of that I armory them to see if they are gemmed/specced correctly and make a decision off of that.

So sick of people being spoiled with the buff. I'm pretty sure tanks were able to handle Festergut with 0% buff with about 40k HP. This instance isn't that hard, I easily tanked the first four (with 20%) with my paladin at 4.3GS, and the only reason we didn't go on is because it was just a quick monday run.

The buff lowers the GS requirement considerably. Though, for pugs, I always require either achievements or the experience done (I can and will armory people still) if you're going to have less than awesome gear. But properly enchanting/gemming can definitely be enough, because that is sometimes hard for even the most geared of people to do... I never require GS either for groups. Also, I'm pretty tired of people that whisper for any pug and just say "ill dps" or "5k gs dk", something stupid like that.

I wish there was a rule that people at least -tried- to research their class before doing a pug that's trying to be serious about clearing bosses easily. Every single pug I am in, there are a few people always sitting around 5.8-5.9k gs and still unable to consistently do over 6k dps. That's just sad.

Personally, My DK went 7/12 in ICC 10 while tanking with less than 5k GS. It was mostly a pug too. 3 people from my guild (including my dk), a couple friends and the rest filled in with random people. We probably could have gotten a few more bosses down too but ran out of time.

Lol GS is not the cure all, but with the buff, if people havent killed Lich King yet there is a good chance they arent the one's with the SKILL to kill fester with a 40k health tank.

A higher gear score is probably a good idea if you dont want another 6/12 pug. Remember, people want easy kills for the early bosses and if you want to get to the end bosses where they are willing to wipe, it might be nice to get there quickly (or the ninja log after Saurfang happens)

I tanked the first four bosses of ICC with a 4.3k Gearscore paladin with NO BUFF. This was back when ICC was new and only the first 4 bosses were unlocked. Everyone said I'd get one-shot by Marrowgar. They were wrong.

Granted, this was not with a pug, it was with a decent raiding guild. But these days, people won't take that same tank on first-4-bosses-only pugs even though he now has some 251 gear and the 25% buff.

GS isn't the problem. People are the problem. People are idiots, and irrational, and spoiled.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garric View Post
    Successfully tanked the first 4 bosses in icc10 with a 4.4k gs bear.

Gearscorelol.
    ofc it is perfectly doable, gs sucks.

4.5gs composed of full PvE gear, fully and properly enchanted and gemmed is more than enough for ppl who know what to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best pugs I've been in, and the ones that have done the most bosses have been in pugs that didn't ask for gs, the pugs that ask for gs generally struggle to do the first 4 bosses, yet I did a 9/12 (only 2 wipes) run the other week were it was a complete pug, and no mention of gs at all, just good players.

Moral of the story is: GS =/= a successful pug.

+ Female Human Warlock - Affliction

GS to me is where considering a pug begins, not ends. IF its not someone i know anything under 5k is discouraging. But the problem with people on going by gearscore is high ilvl gear is so accesible that people load up on high ilvl badge gear that is actually horrible for there class/spec and can be out preformed by people with a significantly lower gs. The best advice i have is getting to know a little bit about the guilds on your server. Theres certain guilds on my server that i dont mind pugging from at all even if gear is a little weak, because i no the guild is high end and its propably an alt of an experienced person. And the same thing for bad guilds, the people who just throw on high ilvl gear to raise gearscore usually are part of the same guilds and you will learn to avoid people from them. But somthing else on your particular issue, if theres pugs asking for 5500 plus for reg ten icc, i would not go witht hem. Chances are they dont have much success and thats why they feel they need high end gear. Back before i took a break and the buff was out you could do icc ten with 4800-4900gs plus np. ITs always nice to have a group that over gears the raid but with the buff you could probably deal with even lower gs. i mean my first week having a lvl 80 healer i took into 10/25 icc and rs. his gear was under 5k for both iccs and around 5250 or so for the rs.

I'm sure if everyone knows what they are doing you could full clear ICC10 with heroic badge loot. This probably wasn't the case with no buff, but now that it's at 25% going on 30% it could probably happen.

25 man, you'll probably need a good tank and maybe a few good healers, but once again probably badge loot, or mostly 245's could full clear.

Pretty sure GS is very important when PUGing. More often than not raids that ask for GSs do very well. Weather GS haters like it or not.

This isn't to say ICC is impossible with low GSs. I'm sure everyone here has done ICC with a low geared toon and with other low geared toons. The real question is, how many people found 9 other people with 5k or less gearscores to go into ICC without knowing them at all and successfully did 12/12? With the buff or without.

No one has. It's always a special case if you go in with a low gearscore to do these runs.

I've simply quit puging. My main, and all my alts get in established runs. If I need a last minute run I go in some random pug, and guess what, when they ask for high GSs they usually make it 9/12 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Pretty sure GS is very important when PUGing. More often than not raids that ask for GSs do very well. Weather GS haters like it or not.

This isn't to say ICC is impossible with low GSs. I'm sure everyone here has done ICC with a low geared toon and with other low geared toons. The real question is, how many people found 9 other people with 5k or less gearscores to go into ICC without knowing them at all and successfully did 12/12? With the buff or without.

No one has. It's always a special case if you go in with a low gearscore to do these runs.

I've simply quit puging. My main, and all my alts get in established runs. If I need a last minute run I go in some random pug, and guess what, when they ask for high GSs they usually make it 9/12 at least.
    I wanna be on your server. On mine you always get the people asking 5.3-5.4k+ GS for icc10/25 and they really only clear 4/12 its quite sad, but when it comes to my alts i've learned to not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMGC View Post
    Why do people mention undergeared? Their whole mindset is to raid without good gear. They aren't a PUG.
    Because the thread started by undergeared on these forums specifically mentions its relevance to proving that people asking for gear for pugs are silly. People think that undergeared proves something about pugs because undergeared put that thought in their heads.

Screw GS. I sometimes glance at wow-heroes. But I have a simple request from my pugs on the occasion I do pug. Be raid aware, do more then 5k dps. (easy with just heroic farming) if your a healer be able to cast non stop for 5 minutes. If you can do that your ready for icc. The rest is learning fights and group synergy.

I've gone in on a resto druid with 4900 and now I can run nearly anything with 5300. (Except RS I guess...) And I've had guild runs even where half the dps had about 4900 gs so I think that's pretty good. And the buff makes it a lot easier as well.

GS doesnt really matter. 5k+ is known for ICC. Some pugs are elitists and like 5.5k+gs for 10m
    For 10m, just know that triumph gear was meant to get you into ICC.
    for most classes, getting mostly i232/245 gear from triumphs and ICC heroics should net you around 4.9k-5.1k depending on the class.
    For 25m Id say 5.3k is good to get into.

Also, say your dps and experience if you are running on an alt. I was tanking in a group that carried a 4.9k gs with all 5.7k+gs (I had 5.3k) because he put out nice dps and knew the fights. 11/12 run. (Had to leave early :<)

Deleted
    Anything below 5000 GS.