Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Suggestion for Mage spell

This is a core suggestion that I want an opinion on from the mage people at MMO-Champion. This being before I post it in the suggestion board on the offical WoW board.

Spell:
    Frostfire Nova
    200 mana
    Instant Cast 30sec cooldown
    A wave of frostfire shoots outward from the caster's feet, scorching and freezing all enemies caught within the blast for 300-500 Fire damage and 100-200 Frost damage. Knocking them back and freezing them in place for 5 seconds. Damage may disrupt the freezing effect.
    I came up with this idea for a spell while doing the quest "Drakkari do not need water elementals" as my level 75 frost mage, granted this spell is an obvious mix of Frost Nova and Blastwave, I can see it as a possible mage spell in the future. Critism input from experience mages desired.

Possible Glyph:

Glyph of Frostfire Nova
    Removes the Knockback ability of your Frostfire Nova, instead replaced it with a damage over time effect. Dealing 1000 damage over 10 seconds.

Re: Suggestion for Mage spell

Most spells have a certain benefit if you use them in certain situations. Which situation do you think this would be used in over Frost Nova?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Smolderthorn&cn=Nathyrra

15+ Year Old Account

Seeing that CC is out of the game.. This could be another one of the less used mage spells.

what use woudl this spell have? if its another nova effect than it would give the mage another cc/frozen effect in PvP which might be too OP. If it would share a cd with the 'normal' frostnova, it will most likly make frostnova obsolete which isn't a good thing.

the fire effect might crit and leave an ignite dot and break the nova.

but still where do you think it might be useful? i like the idea of blasting someone away and then freezing him but not in the way your spell works

My opinion: no. It's just so very far from being even remotely needed, from where I'm standing. It'd just be giving the Mage class another snare, something I just don't think they need.

What I do like, however, was your glyph suggestion. If applied to Blast Wave, it could make for an interesting choice for a movement/AoE spell.

Quote Originally Posted by obc
    what use woudl this spell have? if its another nova effect than it would give the mage another cc/frozen effect in PvP which might be too OP. If it would share a cd with the 'normal' frostnova, it will most likly make frostnova obsolete which isn't a good thing.

the fire effect might crit and leave an ignite dot and break the nova.

but still where do you think it might be useful? i like the idea of blasting someone away and then freezing him but not in the way your spell works
    I suppose it would achieve what blink+frost nova already does. I agree that it may be superfluous, and would likely make frost nova useless.

I also had an idea for a mage spell...if anybody cares

Arcane Barrier: Summons a wall of arcane energy in front of the mage. This wall breaks line of sight and remains where it was summoned. Lasts 15 sec
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

So let me get this straight. You think mages, quite possibly the best class in the game at kiting something, need another root? And not just any root, but a root that does damage, causes a knockback, and costs so little mana that there is no thought in casting it?

Did you even bother to think of the PvP implications of this? It's quite possibly, scratch that, definitely the most absurd idea I've heard in a long time.

I wouldn't mind it having a "chains of ice" effect where the speed increase would increase by "X" each second, which would then prevent it being another frostmage's "LOLSHATTER" Snare.

/my 2 cents.
    War doesn't decide who's right, It decides who's left.
    FOR PONY!!!

Let's imagine this...

10 mobs attacking (dunno were can be done), cast "Frostfire nova". 10 frosted mobs around u urging to eat u alive and probably out of range to Blizzard them - cause of the knock back.

Solution:
    Use the [Brand New Jet Pack] (like the one in ICC - not avail in public yet ) and land in a safe distance, causing a bit damage to the caster and everyone around (so a new mob pull inc)... etc. Can pull the whole wow this way :P

So apart from joking, I would say no :-\.

P.S. How many of u reading this, hovered the "Jet Pack"?

15+ Year Old Account

In Cataclysm, it would be nice to see upgraded glyphs. For example, Glyph of Blast Wave II - Use: The mana cost of your Blast Wave spell is reduced by 15% and applies a Damage over Time effect that ticks for X damage, but it no longer knocks enemies back.
    For the Alliance!

Yeah that's a nice spell, but I don't see where it would fit right now.

PvE : Knockbacks are a pain in the ass. With the glyph you also propose, it becomes Frost Nova (Actual rank +1)
    PvP : Just don't see what a knockback would bring to a frost mage. Frost mages are about controlling themselves and the enemies (position, HP, mobility, mana, buffs and debuffs, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

But wouldn't the fire melt the freeze effect?!

No but seriously a knock back wouldn't really be ery useful in pve IMO. As a pally tank I would be really annoyed if a Mage decided to jump in and knock all my targets away from me. From a pvp aspect mages don't really need another cc. They have enough. Keeping some lodged in place for a few seconds is enough to get away from you're opponent. You dont need a knock back also. Only time I could see this useful is when solo'ing and you pull more mobs than you can handle.

It's a really neat idea on paper but not very viable in game. Of course this is just my opinion.

I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games

99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.

If some one is handing out useless pvp spells I'd rather have a mass polymorph, shade of aran style.
    Current Hunter Zones
    (-Melee-)(-deadzone-)(--------------Ranged------------------)

Current Alliance BG'er Zones
    (-ear-)(---deadzone---)(-ear-)

Might be a bit overpowered for pvp, pve not needed since pve scrubs just mash arc blast and missiles.

why would you want another blast wave and not summon phoenix or something?

Honestly I'd like to see a Fire Shield, akin to the one we saw in Heroic Mechanar in TBC. I mean we have mana shield (arcane) and Frost shield (frost), so why not one for our third spec?

But even if that doesn't go over well, that flame orb the trash in Obsidian Sanctum is pretty damn kick ass for a possible new fire AoE.

I'd be happy with either.

15+ Year Old Account

Mages have the following "Shields"

Ice Barrier ( I think )
    Mana Sheild
    Frost Ward
    Fire Ward.

Also from the critism, I always joked that blizzard would make a LOLWTF?! mage spell..

This joke spell of mine would freeze enemies in place for 30sec, lay 10 dots on them at 75 dps totaling up to 7500 damage over 10 seconds. An arcane explosion, flamestrike and blizzarded added in.. Then after 10secs after the DoTs finish the targets would turn into small gnomes for 1min, depending if they were still alive. Though to make this sound reasonable and not a joke spell, I had it channeled for 10 seconds, and use all the caster's mana. As well as putting on an Exhaustion debuff that barred the mage from mana regen for 5mins.

I have wanted to see some sort of MASS teleport Spell like the Arch Mage hero Class had in WC3. Instead of being a port to a Major City it would telelport a raid/party/you short distances in your current Zone. Could be cool for a large out door raid setting and for leveling with Friends. Just a thought.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthebomb
    why would you want another blast wave and not summon phoenix or something?
    I think I've said it before, but if we get phoenix SOMETHING in Cataclysm I can pretty much die happy. Even a minor glyph that changes the pyroblast model/effect into an exploding phoenix, or small phoenixes flying around you when Combustion is up, just something. I'd imagine Blizzard probably thinks it's too blood mage-y to be added to the baseline spells or even every mage's fire talent tree though. :|

YES! the Phoenix idea would be awesome, even if it was just the Pyroblast animation looking like a phoenix instead of a Fireball on roids.

Or... They could have it similar to the Chaos Bolt that Locks have w/ a long cooldown or chance to Proc type mechanic. have it added at like lvl 83