Thread: So...Putricide

15+ Year Old Account

So...Putricide

OK...I am in a casual 10-man guild. Our standard makeup is:
    Tanks: Paladin, Warrior
    Healers: Paladin, Druid, Shaman
    DPS, Mage (me), Mage, Hunter, Warrior, Rogue

We have the first four bosses on steady farm, sometimes wipe on Fester & Rot. At this point I believe we've had 3 Fester kills, and 2 Rot kills.

We have had no success at all on Putricide, failing to reach Phase 2 despite many attempts the last few weeks. So far it has just been a lot of chaos. I have watched some videos but we are having trouble applying it to the raids.

I think that controlling that first slime easily will really get the ball rolling for us, and my plan is to emphasize blowing up that slime over being prepared for when it reaches its first target, which means positioning gets risky if there is no one near the target (our strategy has been more along the lines of being in a cluster to avoid the damage that comes when the slime reaches the target).

I know that slowing the slime is every bit as important, but what do you think is better? Bunching in anticipation of the hit, or staying more flexible and assume it will be dead before it hits anyone. I think the latter is the best way, but I do like more opinions, thanks in advance.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Deleted

Re: So...Putricide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSMP...layer_embedded

check tht out ^^ it seems to be a great tactic

ALSO, get the druid healer to spec into Revitilisation, and then rejuv the abom ^^ it restores energy at an alarming rate, well that's how we do it

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSMP...layer_embedded

check tht out ^^ it seems to be a great tactic

ALSO, get the druid healer to spec into Revitilisation, and then rejuv the abom ^^ it restores energy at an alarming rate, well that's how we do it
    Aye, our druid does have it, and thanks for the link, I'll watch it

Well, we have a somewhat different strategy for handling the Green Slimes. This strategy sounds strange but works like a charm - I've used it in PuGs with groups that have never seen Put before and managed to kill him.

Basically the tank takes Put to the right side of the room (as you walk in), somewhere near the location where the Green Slime spawns. Putricide will not be moved all of P1 / P2 (unless vials, goo, etc). The idea of this is that with less movement around the room Put will go down faster, resulting in less slimes / gases.

When the first slime appears, all melee and ranged immediately swap to it and begin to nuke it down. Nobody needs to move, reposition, whatever. It's merely a simple target swap. During the few seconds it takes to lock onto a target you should get some good DPS time on it.

Now, the slime will latch onto either your ranged or melee. If it latches onto a melee, it will basically explode automatically but the damage will be split between your melee and tank (who are on top of one another). As long as there is at least 3 people (i.e you have 2 melee) they should all survive this explosion. The ranged should have had time to nuke the slime by this point, and no matter who it chooses the second time it should be dead before reaching them.

If it latches onto a ranged and reaches them, the 2 melee following should also eat the explosion, once again ensuring everybody will survive and giving ample time to kill the slime.

The advantage of this strat is mainly that melee and ranged can target swap to the slime instantly without repositioning. No matter who the slime targets, there will be increased DPS time on it. If it targets a melee, range are unaffected. If it targets a ranged, melee will be able to continue DPS and other ranged should be unaffected. Typically the slime explodes once for us if it chooses a melee, and doesn't explode at all if it picks a ranged.

Give it a try anyway. It works well for us, no matter if we have more ranged or more melee. Either way, your entire raid should never have to stack to eat the explosion - that's just too many people moving, resulting in a massive DPS loss.

Edit: It's VERY similar to that video posted above, but ranged do not stack on the slime.
    Who knows what secrets hide in the dark?

Ah yes...*I* do...

Ranged dps be in range as the slime spawns and start dpsing once you can, everyone move towards the marked target, with melee dpsing it down as it moves in.

You don't want to really gather on the rooted guy until the slime arrives, because you don't want a slime pool ticking for damage under all of you, and in P2, you dont want a Maleable Goo targeting the cluster either.

And a revitalize druid does help a bunch with the learning curve, as well as more dps. I'd get your shaman healer to be dps for the fight. 2 healers is enough as its painfully boring if you're doing it right in the first 2 phases and p3 is all about burning him before the 5/6 stack.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Secksee Phocks
    Normally I would say it would be safe to assume the thing would die, but since you are wiping on Putricide I would have great reservations about assuming anything when it comes to your raiders playing well. Why do you need an "all or nothing" strategy anyway? Would it not be easier to be spread intelligently so you won't all be together but everyone is close enough to 1-2 other people that can soak the blast?
    Dude, everyone plays at a different level; if it is so easy for you, I am happy; why be a dick about things?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful
    THAT is EXACTLY how we do it ^^ check the video, you get to see a noob mage die and me running like a madman with a star on my head at the end ^^

Edit: cut quote --Sunshine

15+ Year Old Account

Thanks for the replies, that strat makes a lot more sense than the "scaredy-cat" approach we had been taking, which I hated. I can't wait to try it out

Deleted

Once you get this fight down, it's a faceroll every time.

I'll explain our tactic:

Phase 1:
    First things first, after pulling, have your MT tank Putricide more or less exactly where the green ooze spawns. Kick the Professor's ass until he spawns a green ooze, then have everyone switch to it and nuke it. Everyone in melee-range should stack up on the green ooze while nuking it to mitigate the blast damage if it targets a melee-member. All ranged players should at all times be on max range from Putricide. Have your Abomination dps/slow it, whatever, just remember it's main prio is to eat slime. After a green ooze is dead, your MT should move Putricide like 10 yards closer to the green wall, to increase the distance between Ranged and the soon-to-be-spawned orange ooze. The targeted player kites it, get som Body and Soul up or have everyone use sprint pots. Rinse and repeat until he casts Tear Gas and begins phase 2. You don't want any ooze up at that time, so either dodge the Tear Gas using Vanish-abilities or stop dps to allow an ooze to spawn "safely".

Phase 2:
    In addition to increased tank damage, Putricide gains 2 new abilities. Malleble Goo, which usually is the biggest problem, and occasionally he casts som orange flasks which will explode on impact. In this phase, simply repeat what you did in phase 1 (really, really make sure ranged are at max range, and that they're constantly aware of the malleble goo-threat.) with the exception of having the MT kite Putricide into a corner to drop the explosive flasks every now and then.

Phase 3:
    Beginning from where the MT usually stands, slowly kite Putricide counter clockwise, towards and past his workdesk. Actually, stand still and only move him a small bit when slime spawns or he casts explosive flasks. Prepare your raid for heavy tank healing, pop heroism after a tankswap or two (on every 2-3 stacks), and make sure Ranged players stand in front of Putricide. Constantly "hugging the wall" will give you more time to dps before the slime fills the room.

TL;DR: Ranged are spread out at max range, Putricide is constantly tanked on the green side of the room.

Here's a video of me tanking Putricide using this tactic. It's a random recording of a kinda fail kill. Your MT shouldn't slack as much as I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_bs3bgl57o

Editz: Oh yeah, we use 2 healers, not 3.

We do it on 10 man the same way we do it on 25 man:
    Start tanking him underneath the orange tank and when he starts casting unstable experiment warlocks, mages and hunters move up to the middle. When the green slime spawns they start nuking it while it picks a target (takes a good few seconds before it even moves).
    If a target in the back gets picked (healer or melee) then it should die before it reaches them. If one of the ranged DPSers gets picked they do the following:

hunter: FD when it gets close, it will repick a target and you'll have another good few seconds to burn it.
    Warlock: Have a portal near the boss and teleport back towards it.
    Mage: Blink back towards the raid.

If you think it will still hit someone, make the healers and melee stack up on that person

Heh, maybe the strat we use isn't as obscure as I thought!
    Who knows what secrets hide in the dark?

Ah yes...*I* do...

15+ Year Old Account

Thanks for the link, Iyona; any kill is a good kill

MestHoop, those are interesting tactics, thanks for the tip.

Deleted

Sunday we came up with a new tactic to use.
    We are fairly geared for ICC but still struggle so now and then.
    This week we had 2 melee (Rogue and Retri Pala) and some ranged (Ele Shammy, Mage, Warlock, Hunter).
    We had all the ranged stand near the table while tanking Putricide around the middle (in range of the ranged ofc).
    We tanked Putricide near the slime pools so the person in the Abomination (me) could dps him while getting rid of the slime pools (they dont have a shared GCD so you can do some really nice damage) and as soon as a slime spawned, we had all dps change targets (even Melee could be there in 1 second) and the Abomination slow and dps the slime, it died before it reached anyone 90% of the time.
    Phase 3 was easy, taunt at 2 stacks. Our Warrior was tanking Putricide, i taunted at 2 stacks and by the time i had my 2nd stack he was dead.

so this is how our guild does it:

our RL watches tankspot video, approves of that tactic and tells us to check the strat out so we can easily do it.

Try to 2 heal it, makes it a lot easier.

We use the strat where you tank him near the green ooze as well. If your learning curve is like ours was, you will probably let the ooze reach its target, it will explode, then you will kill it for the first few times you do the fight. What you should strive for is to have your dps be situationally aware enough, and pulling high enough numbers to kill the ooze before it links to anyone, an 8 second window (approx). If dps save CDs for the green ooze, this is very doable, even if their damage is a bit lackluster. Also, since you are running with 2 mages and a hunter, you should be able to minimize your amount of explosions since these 3 players should be using iceblock/feign death when the ooze targeting them is about to hit them (also works with pally bubbles, but they're OP anyways). This will make the ooze stop, think about how confusing it is that its target isn't there anymore, and start recasting the ooze link, giving you inordinate amounts of time to smack its silly little ooze face. Hope this helps.

- Rogres, the Jerk from Blackhand

Quote Originally Posted by bapphho
    Try to 2 heal it, makes it a lot easier.
    This.
    There really isnt alot of healing to be done in this fight.
    Half the time Im just sitting around waiting for damage to come around.

Tank Putricide where the green ooze spawns full time for phase 1 & 2.
    Ranged dont need to stack there, thats a terrible idea as RNG malleable goo can occur and wipe your raid because not enough people were at ranged.
    Always be away of when youre going to transition to the next phase so you dont end up with a volatile ooze or gas cloud right as your transition.
    The rest is pretty self explanatory.
    Dont get hit by malleable goo.
    Make sure your Abom driver is doing his job efficiently.

Last for phase 3, make sure you have a plan of where youre going to kite the boss.
    Healers should be in front of the boss at a ranged distance.
    Don't kite the boss too much, you need to make use of your space.

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful
    I was introduced to this method in a semi pug group I run on my warrior alt. It worked great. So then I tried it with our guild run the next week, took us 1 try to get used to it, then killed him. Its really a nice method.

Edit: cut down quote. --Sunshine

Adding my voice to those who say 2 heal it. If this fight is done correctly, i.e. adds are under control and not reaching their target, (it's okay if the green adds occasionally explode) there is very little incoming raid damage. Having 6 dps helps with add control for the obvious reason that the slimes die faster, making it easier to "do the fight correctly". It's really a win/win.

15+ Year Old Account

Thanks again for all the help and tips, I really think we'll have a much better go this week.