Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Strange/bad/good experiences in raids

So, we already have a thread about your worst experiences in LFG, but maybe that's mostly 5-mans. Tell me about your experiences in raids! Bad, good, just wacky... any stories welcome.

Disclaimer: all future "OMG X happened in a raid, let me go talk about it" threads may be redirected here...

Re: Strange/bad/good experiences in raids

One of my strangest experiences in a raid was with a Shaman named Ogru who gemmed Int. I cried inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oajng View Post
    This is the way I see it. Everyone has human rights, and should respect everyone else's human rights. If you consciously hurt anyone you concede your human rights from what you have done. Think of it like pvp flagging.
    I find it so hilarious when people take pure neutrality and a flat tone as anger, hate, or rage.

Here is one. I'd say bad, then strange and then good Wall of text INC.

I'm one of the main tanks in my guild, warrior. Some weeks ago we were finally about to down Putricide 25. I was the Abom bitch for several weeks, and the third tank (so the last one) taunting Putricide in p3. So eventually on one try, we manage very good phases 1 and 2 and reach p3 with perfect timing, exept i couldnt absorb the last jelly spot, which was on a side.

So p3 starts, and since we didnt praticed p3 a lot until then (some lame 15% attempts or so), some casters spread too much in the beginning, and the green jelly spreads also a bit too much from there. Eventually it's my turn to taunt, boss is around 10% or so, and i can see, i dont have a lot of space remaining in the room. Eventually, boss reaches 3% and he is about to apply the 5th stack on me (namely : wipe almost guaranteed). Jelly is catching the melee spot, and there's only 2 safe spots remaining in the room : one in the very center of the room where casters are standing, and another near Putricide's lab, so melees need to cross some jelly so reach it, tanks included. So i took a decision and it was bad : i decided to reach the center of the room (closer to my current tanking spot), to avoid jelly damage, and try tp finish him there... but he proceeds to cast his Goo which i totally forgot. Multiples deaths due to Goo AoE damage, eventually one tank died and it was over. He healed himself, down from 1% or so and destroy us.

Couple seconds of silence and my GM (otherwise a good player, funny and a friend) proceeds to literally YELL at me, like i've never been yelled at before. I mean, he was literally MENTAL. He says that i messed up bigtime like the average noob, says that if he sees me IRL some day he will punch me hard in the face, cause usually i'm a very good player and good tank, and if someone is NOT allowed to screw up, it's a tank. He keeps talking shit on me for some more seconds, then asks everyone to rez and come again. He's right though, i made a terrible choice, and i usually dont make such big mistakes.

That was the BAD part.

Now, the strange part. Our GM usually dont get so badly upset. Sometimes he can put major mistakes directly under player's noses; and threaten to replace them if they do it again, but he never got mental like this before, especially on someone like me (almost here every raid, no problems in tanking, virtually no major mistakes, also leading half the time because i enjoy it). But we already spend too much time on Putricide, dozens of trials i think in the past weeks, so everyone wanted to see him die badly.

So after this wipe, the raid is very, very quiet. No one is talking or writing. But lots and lots of raid members start to whisper me, with things like "Its ok dude, we all make mistakes", or "Dont worry he doesnt mean it", or "Dont get mad, Putri will go down soon enough", which is kinda weird since actually i dont mind, since i totally screwed this. Even the GM proceeds to whisp me and apologize, but still saying to me that I cant make such bad judgements, that tanks need be at their best 100% of the time, etc etc.

And the good part : I think everyone was now half upset / half scared, so we achieve another try with 0 mistakes, literally, he dies and http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/50179/last-word/ drops. There's a Drood and a Pally tanking here too, and the pally decides to pass on it, i'm sure because he wanted me to fell better xD.

So yeah, i think it's a good memory overall and it was pretty epic to kill the bastard but still, getting yelled at is no fun

Getting yelled at must have sucked, but congrats on your kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Knirps
    One of my strangest experiences in a raid was with a Shaman named Ogru who gemmed Int. I cried inside.
    wait what? are you being serious here lady?

it was the 2nd week LK was out and my guild went up to pwn him, as we were going to start the encounter, our shadowpriest suddenly died, he was 1shot by something and everyone was like "wtf" then our druid got 1shot and everybody started to laugh and thought it was a cruel GM joke of some kind.
    then our tank got hit by a tecnichian from the blood wing and it started to run around killing people, since it was evading all attacks, our tanks couldnt pick him up, it was so funny to see people go down one by one by a lost mob.

2 weeks ago we were standing at marrowgar waiting for our druid to get there, he was late because of talking to a GM about a gear issue, when we had summoned him and everyone was buffed up and ready to go, we saw a /say from the GM in the chat, he wished us a good raid and blabla, then people started to turn into leper gnomes and we were laughing our asses off when running toward marrowgar, unfortunatley the costumes went away when entering combat and we didnt get any screenshot of it

10+ Year Old Account

One of my best raid experience was a couple of days ago, just before reset me and a friend went into a ToC10 pug raid to gear up his Tank set, everything goes fine until the faction champs,when all hell breaks loose (are we surprised? no) long story short we manage to kill both the healers, but lose both OUR healers in the process, so it's a case of 'whose gunna die first' as we take down a few of the bosses, but our side is losing people fast too.

in the end it's me and a DK against the shammy and the hunter bosses, shammy on ~1/2 and hunter on full, with pet still up. So me and the DK open a keg on the shammy, manage to get him down but at the last second he kills the DK.

So now it's just me against the hunter, who is still on 100% health, as is his pet. At this point the annoying shammy healer is spamming raid 'Just give up, you're never gunna kill him, all you're doing is wasting time' so me being me I rush in to the boss and start fighting. About 3mins later, to the surprise of everyone in raid (no one moreso that myself :P) the Hunter boss dies, clearing faction champions with me still on like 95% health so I plant my Ardent Crusader's banner in the hunters corpse and proceed with much gloating/listening to praise as the whole raid goes mental, saying that was the funniest/coolest thing they've seen in a long time.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Most my experiences in raiding come from TBC, since Wrath I haven't really had any Bad Raids, Good Raids or Strange Raids. Just, Raids.

Anyways, I hit 70 three weeks before I did my first Karazhan. I got into a guild on my server called siN because of my brother, I was a Protection Paladin, and I sucked. BUT they needed one as they were getting close to downing Vashj and Kael, and so they would be in Hyjal soon.

And I mean I sucked, like my threat was nothing compared to the Warrior MT, and he always had me OT so I ran out of Mana quickly, and didn't get much back from the Healing to Mana. So, for bosses like Gruul, I'd take the first two cleaves, and then a Rogue would Dodge Tank it. I was horrid.

Anyways, going through my first Karazhan, things started out alright, I was the Offtank, and he mostly Solo Tanked it because he was in T5 Gear, and I was in Blues. My first mistake was at the Shade of Aran, I'm sure you all know where this is going, first raid, they say Flame Wreath don't move, and me being the kind of guy who bounces in place or steps forward and back (eventually I would strafe, but at this time I had no idea how to), I took a step back, BAM, everyone explodes. I get yelled at, it sucked, but we killed him next attempt and carry on. Next time is at Netherspite, I was supposed to take the second Beam and dodge in and out of it as we go, but I didn't actually no how to side step, so when I go to move, I turn my back, and bam. He ate me alive. Again, I got yelled at, then they explained to me how to strafe, so we came back and we killed him. The rest of the run was decent, but as you can see, I was a very newbish Tank, and I didn't think I was capable of doing anything.

Next Raid Week, I sat for Karazhan and instead they bring me into Tempest Keep. First boss, Loot Reaver, things start off fine until I'm not doing enough Threat, so when the Warrior was knocked back, the two Rogues would drop dead before I managed to grab him, I got yelled at again, but then we downed him, and I got T5 Shoulders because no one else wanted them. Next thing they get me to do? Play with A'lar, which eventually became my favourite fight, but with it being my second raid ever, and this fight being actually kinda annoying at that time, things got horrible, I couldn't control the Adds at all, so people died and I died twice, using a Soul Stone and a Battle Rez. I really got yelled at here, and pretty much decided to get all emo and quit raiding.

The good part came three weeks later, when I'm convinced to come back into raiding, I don't know what happened, but I started to do more Threat, and was actually able to contribute in raids, we went through Karazhan with me actually tanking Trash, then they brought me through SSC and I helped on Lurker and Fathom-Lord, and tanked the Adds from Captain Nut Steerer, and everything was great. Then we came to Tempest Keep, and I got nervous because the fight they started this week was A'lar, and my god it was so much smoother, I turned the adds into butter on toast, and he dropped like a fly, and I got that super sexy cloak. The rest of Tempest Keep was a cake walk, except for the exploding chick, that one caught me by surprise, but other then that, I magically got better at tanking, whether it was sheer determination to not disappoint them again or what.

Anyways, the guild broke up after the first boss in Sunwell, and I transferred Servers, but I still tank.

The End.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Last night I put together a 25 man ICC raid on my warrior. Was an enormous pain in the ass but I wanted to help some bros out, so i did it.

We clear the first wing pretty easily (and nothing else, but hey, it was a late night pug) and Saurfang drops his tier tokens as usual. I lose the roll on my warrior token and only two shamans rolled against me. The winner of the roll was barely outdpsing the tanks, was standing on top of people and spreading debuffs, and was just generally an awful, awful player. He was one of the primary reasons we did not down any other bosses. The other shaman, however, was on top of the dps meter, pushing well over 9k as enhance. Nothing too remarkable but good for a pug.

So I gave him the tier token instead of the guy that won the roll. I don't like to reward bad playing. I understand that this is mean and elitist, but I'd rather have the 9k enhance shaman as a potential bro over a 4k elemental shaman. I, actually, couldn't possibly care less what that ele shaman thought of me.

After the run finishes, I get a whisper from him. Paraphrased, but the gist is that he wanted to tell me some good news, and some bad news.

Good news was he got badges and rep.
    Bad news was he was forced to put me on ignore since I was an elitist jerk.

I just burst out laughing. How was that bad news? His name was very memorable, it's not like I'm going to forget how bad he was and ever invite him to another group. I felt that the good news and bad news should have been reversed. I helped a scrub get carried through an achievement, rep, and badges so that was a bad thing. Now he can spam his achievement to any prospective raid leader and suck up their run. And him putting me on ignore was a good thing. Saved us both time.

Downing the Lich King

I have read a lot of topics lately where people say that this xpac was too easy, unfulfilling for some people or even just plain boring.

But Last night a static PuG i had been running 2 weeks with (only 2 raid nights, but both were about 6 hours) Finally beat LK. We totalled 8 hours of wipes on him, all in phase 3 at 25% or less.

There is no better feeling then being exhausted, on your last try of the night, and seeing everyone in the raid get Utterly Demolished by the LK, only to be rezzed and smack what has become a loot piniatta.

Downing LK was extremely fulfilling in my opinion. Thank you for the good times Blizz.

P.S. My ears are still ringing from that one girl screaming in vent...

Re: Downing the Lich King

pugs on my server are lucky to kill rotface and festergut :') (on 10 man haha)
    I agree, when you all drop dead at 10%, its quite a good feeling, especially if you've been wiping there for a while.
    same happened with my heroic kill. last try of the night etc, was sooo satisfying

Good story
    I actually have pretty much the same one. Being tired of PUGs where you cant beat Saurfang 10, I decided to put up a group of mates raiding on saturday evening. Even with one raiding night per week we progressed "normally" through the content going further every week.
    Reaching LK, a friend from a stronger guild came to help us through the fight and we finally were able to down him after a mere 6 trys.
    And we all had the same feeling. A neat progression.Wipes were needed, getting better every time, and finnally that epic fight.

Thanks Blizzard for that game that we enjoy.

And thanks to my saturday night raiders:
    Balent
    RoibPaf
    Lowiyam
    Crimz
    Flaviora
    Chuchkaite
    Meuhmeuh and Fina for their help
    Yeuo
    and more recently Gilovane

Cheers guys!

It really is something else, after using a few dozen fish feasts, maybe a dozen flasks, lord knows how many symbols of kings...

It was kind of heartbreaking at first because 6 tries before we downed him we had him at 15%... but we got so excited we didnt move out of defile because everyone was trying to eek the kill out ASAP haha

Not a single person in the group had killed LK before last night. it was awesome.

Yes, downing LK is quite an epic moment

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, the end is as good as it gets really. You can (I imagine, haven't gotten him yet) really let off all of your frustrations after you get the res.

Gj buddy!
    Warlock (SL main)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom
    Yeah, the end is as good as it gets really. You can (I imagine, haven't gotten him yet) really let off all of your frustrations after you get the res.

Gj buddy!
    man i wish you luck, it really is a great feeling. we had been messing up on stupid small things all night (luckily we had 2 brez's), but on that last try no one died, no brez's, anhks, or soulstones used. it was just perfect. Like i wish id had a video of it...

I pugged him last week.

We got him to 37% on our first try. Second and third try were wipes. Than we continued the next day and 2 shotted him. Before that we one shotted each boss except for sindra. Wich took us about 6 tries. All wipes at 900k *sad face*

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadem
    I pugged him last week.

We got him to 37% on our first try. Second and third try were wipes. Than we continued the next day and 2 shotted him. Before that we one shotted each boss except for sindra. Wich took us about 6 tries. All wipes at 900k *sad face*
    In Good PuG's most wipes tend to be at Low HP... which is good because i think the vast majority of pugs will fall apart fast if you wipe early in fights.

My guild has an amusing tendancy to get our first kill on a boss the moment our raid leader gives up all hope of us killing it.

It was something many people noticed in Ulduar and the start of ToC, but it became generally accepted fact on our first Anub kill.

We had been wiping on him for a couple weeks, to the point where several regular members started skipping out to avoid the trouble, forcing us to bring in a few pugs, much to the shame and irritation of the raid leader.

Curiously, we were doing better than usual on the first 4 bosses, so hopes got high.

Naturally, the first pull on Anub is chaotic and messy and we wipe.

"Sorry guys, we won't be killing Anub tonight." our raid leader bemoans on vent, "Thanks you coming pugs, and everyone else, we just can't dop this, sorry."

Out MT, seeing that everyone went ahead with buffs despite the RL's calling of the raid, runs out and pulls the boss anyway. Naturally, the RL gets pissed, but tells everyone to get in positions anyway.

Granted, we had 5 left when he died, but he was dead, and our RL has since been ancouraged to emo as much as possible since it brings us good luck.

What happens when the bear MT gets bitten from BQL ?

The bear tank becomes the raid boss and wipe ensues.

It was pretty rough. The dps decided to bite me after the fearbomb and told all rogues and hunters to keep MD threat on me. At one point, I ran out of options and decided to bite the OT. The screenshot was taken shortly after.