Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Most unexpected video game plot twists *Will be spoiler heavy*

gonna have to say that in mass effect 2 when you find out the geth that so many people spent so much time fighting was lees then 5% of the population and you had the choice to make them stronger
    Tycat was here

I'm not sure if it counts as a plot twist, per se, but I wouldn't have put money on Aeris being murdered in FF7. And that she stays dead. There's no story line to resurrect her or anything, unlike so many games where death is (ahem) "merely a setback."

I actually read an interview with the writers for FF7 years later and they said that they intentionally tried to make it more real: her death is sudden and without compensation. She didn't die in a heroic moment of accomplishment nor did it drag out with extended teary dialogue. She dies and there's nothing you can do about it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I just finished Heavy Rain the other day, and I must say I quite enjoyed the turn of events. I honestly didn't see it coming, but looking back it makes sense!

When you find out Sovereign is a being and not a ship in ME is just the most epic mindblowing thing ever.

Im surprised no one mentioned Shadow of the Colossus.

One of the very few games to bring me to tears. Once you're on your way to fight the sword colossus and Agro (the horse) dies. My god, I was so angry at that damn colossus I think I messed up my controller buttons when I was striking his weak point. Then when you turn into the gigantic demon and they turn you into that baby to "purify" the main character. That made my jaw fucking drop.

Although it was a happy ending in a way, I couldnt help but feel sad.

10+ Year Old Account

when i finished metroid and his suite came off and it was a girl i went WTH HE WAS A SHE .......never saw it coming.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

15+ Year Old Account

Snape kills dumbledore, what as asshole. I mean....

Probably in ff9 where zidane wasn't actually born on gaia and was sent there to destroy it instead of save it like he's been trying to do the whole game. That and the roller coaster that was ff13. Still don't fully understand it after a few weeks, maybe I should wiki it.

Ace attorney, Damon Gant masterminding case 1-5.

Do not highlight this one till you're done with the latest ace attorney game. I mean it.
    AAI: Sish-na being Calisto Yew. Never saw that once coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chin
    Garrosh would wage war against the ocean for not being made out of orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul

One of the very few games to bring me to tears. Once you're on your way to fight the sword colossus and Agro (the horse) dies. My god, I was so angry at that damn colossus I think I messed up my controller buttons when I was striking his weak point. Then when you turn into the gigantic demon and they turn you into that baby to "purify" the main character. That made my jaw fucking drop.

It probably wasn't mentioned because storyline was a very small part of the game. What made it amazing was how the world looked, and how fun the collosi were to fight.

the plot twist that blizzard will give us at the end of the whole warcraft story : D
    meta old god of doom is real!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by marojo60
    In Bioshock when Atlas turned out to be Fontaine and had genetically modified you to be his slave for the sole reason of killing Andrew Ryan and taking controll of rapture.

Biggest suprise EVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    "Will you kindly get stepped on by a big daddy."
    I believe it is "Would you kindly get stepped on by a big daddy."

and agreeing about bioshock twister
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.

Douglas Adams

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul

Spoiler here so read at your own risk
    but wasnt shadow of the collossus just a prequal to Ico that viking kid? or am i wrong

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

Quote Originally Posted by Conquestaxe
    It probably wasn't mentioned because storyline was a very small part of the game. What made it amazing was how the world looked, and how fun the collosi were to fight.
    I disagree, the game was very story driven. Of course, it leaves a lot of things up to assumption which makes it all the more intriguing. It's not the type of story that holds you by the hand and tells you whats going on. A boy fighting to bring his love back, relying on some ancient wisdom given by "gods" in some distant, unknown land. I saw it as a completely different take on storytelling and I loved it. Of course, that doesnt take away the fact that the fights were insanely epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfang the Noble
    Spoiler here so read at your own risk
    but wasnt shadow of the collossus just a prequal to Ico that viking kid? or am i wrong
    I assumed since the title of the thread says *Spoiler heavy* that we could talk about spoilers :/ But yes, Shadow of the Colossus "explains" the origin of the horned children from ICO.

10+ Year Old Account
    treyarch's nazi zombie story hell of corse its unexpected you have to work it out for your self ( or watch videos on youtube when others have done the hard work).
    Your speaker volume BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU!

While not exactly a plot twist, it was kind of unexpected to me: CoD: MW

"Awesome, I saved the girl in a crashed helicopter, we gunna head home n-* *Nuclear explosion*

Special thanks to Katana Angel for the lovely signature, check out the other things, at "Request a Signature" thread.

Max Payne 2 - Vlad was behind everything
    Vampires : Bloodlines - sarcophagus didnt had Kain in it
    Last edited by Kaynot; 2011-02-07 at 12:08 PM.
    a cash cow is well established brand, business unit, product, or service, that generates a large, regular, predictable, and positive cash flow. Cash cows are often 'milked' for developing, promoting, or supporting new or struggling counterparts.

Signs of a cash cow

* Product variations
    * Customer segmentation
    * Pricing flexibility
    * Cost reduction
    * Targets specific competitor

Deleted
    World in Conflict, when the guy somewhat admits/shows you that he shot innocent people and decides to hold off the army 'till the nuke gets there. Man, that was excellent.

Warcraft 3: The whole plotline of whiny arrogant prince to evil mastermind. I had expected his overzealousness to cost some lives, but hadn't expected him to actually 'free' Ner'zhul.

Bioshock(s) were good, but the game didn't manage to drag me in that much

Amnesia: How you slowly came to remember what happened, hadn't expected that and especially what he had driven 'you' to do.

Ooh and yes of course, Max Payne 2! Damn you Vlad Have no fear, Vlad is here!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marojo60 View Post
    In Bioshock when Atlas turned out to be Fontaine and had genetically modified you to be his slave for the sole reason of killing Andrew Ryan and taking controll of rapture.

Biggest suprise EVER!
    Winner, I was completely caught off guard by it.

Other than that, Half Life when I first played it, must have been about 12. It was all laboratories and scientists going "Hello Gordon, are you looking forward to the experiment today"

I seriously thought that was gonna be the whole game, I was quite wrong

Chrono Cross when Serge switches with lynx.

The player being Darth Revan in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
    For the Glory of Mankind

Deleted
    There's a lot...

The end of Red Dead Redemption when John dies, that was pretty big for me, although should have seen it coming.
    The end of MGS4 when Big Boss comes back, that had me and my housemate nearly in tears.
    Playing as Raiden in MGS2.
    The nuke in MW1, being burned to death in MW2...
    So many to count...