New to 80 MM or Surv?

Well thats basically it, what spec will do the best dmg as a new 80 gearing up in heroics. I've leveled up as BM and I'm needing a change. So any recomendation is a good one. I'm crafting the 245 Chest and Bracers and getting DMC: Greatness. Then working for 2 piece T9 and 245 badge gear. Thanks

Re: New to 80 MM or Surv?

You will probably need more gear before going marks but the best way to tell is to plug your toon into http://www.femaledwarf.com/

SV until ICC.

^^ What he said.
    Don't be elitist, it's a video game for crying out loud. Cure cancer, then you can be an asshole.

I would recommend Surv but If you like the ap aura then you will have alot of respeccing to do. 0-400 arm pen you need to spec with imp arcane shot.Once you have around 400 you'd need to respec somewhere else to take those pts out and you'll be forced to gear straight agility until you have 800 arm pen w/o gemming for it. At that point then you would never be using arcane shot unless you are moving and trying to dps.

Given most of the Hunters I know do stay with MM all the way for the soul purpose is that its not awful while gearing up and atleast you will never have to reglyph... =/
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

10+ Year Old Account

i would say surv. because according to me surv ain't so gear based as MM (can be wrong)

I gotta point a few things out here...

There's no need to go SV until you're in ICC gear, since MM has been top spec since the end of ulduar/start of ToC. Meaning if you can get yourself in some tier 9 and fill out the rest in 232's from badges and the new dungeons (including getting a nice ranged weapon), MM will likely give you the highest dps.

BM just got buffed, and should now be roughly equivalent to SV, especially at lower gear levels (such as yours).

The point at which you drop arcane from your rotation isn't directly tied to how much arpen you have. Yes, it is a factor, but you also have to consider things like improved steady shot procs and movement. I switched to MM from BM a while back (about halfway through ToC) and have NEVER used arcane in my rotation (as steady just hits harder). 800 arpen is the point at which you switch to gemming from agil to arpen, nothing to do with arcane.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that as a fresh 80 you're likely to see about the same dps output no matter which spec you use. Play what you enjoy.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

I would say try both, it's only gold after all. SV has a nice priority system that is fairly easy to master. MM is a little harder and much more dependent on movement. For MM, most of your damage comes from your autoshot. So you need to master stutter-stepping in order to maximize your dps. SV is much easier to do in fights where you are moving as most damage comes from Explosive Shot.

I levelled as BM and dual specced when I was lvl 70 using SV for dungeons. I then dropped my BM and specced into MM to give it a try and haven't gone back. I will be dropping my SV spec and going back to BM to give that a try with the new buffs (and to try and get a spirit beast).

In my guild, our highest geared, and highest DPS, is a SV hunter.