Moving soon, noobish with internet speeds need help.

Hello, I am soon to be moving to a new home and will be purchasing internet service (In addition to TV etc etc all the nice things we all waste our lives in front of ;D)

My question is this. What kind of plan should I be purchasing speed wise in order to maintain a low ping while playing WoW and other online games?

I have also not selected a provider yet so any sueggestions you may have would be of great value to me.

Thank you for your time.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Moving soon, noobish with internet speeds need help.

Advertised web speeds (throughput or download rates) have zero impact on your latency (ping). Your latency will depend on different factors depending on the provider.

A DSL connection will typically have higher latency as you move farther from the LEC's CO (Local Exchange Carrier's Central Office, aka the phone company's building), and it can potentially have a higher latency based on the number of users on the service in your local area.

A Cable connection varies depending on the technology being used in the area, potentially distance to the terminating office, and potentially based on the number of users on the service in your local area.

A FTTH (Fiber-to-the-home) connection will typically return the best latency (compared to DSL/Cable) when farther from the terminating office. Also, since it's essentially a direct run of fiber from the terminating office to you, it is unaffected by the number of users in the local area.

The best way to know would be to check with people in your new neighborhood. Whether you know people in the neighborhood already or use it as a way to meet your neighbors, that's the most accurate information you'd get.

Quote Originally Posted by rygenrainhammer
    My question is this. What kind of plan should I be purchasing speed wise in order to maintain a low ping while playing WoW and other online games?
    You don't need much bandwidth to play wow actually. If you're close to the telephone company building, a 1.5mb/256 up DSL line will more than suffice.

The latency droppage comes from a quality connection meaning no dropped packets and no random lag spikes due to the area having too many users all hogging bandwidth.

With that said, I believe the current standard for true broadband is about 6mb down and at least 512kb up. That'll let you enjoy the internet and all its wonderful clips and images quickly without having to wait.

DSL is bad get cable or fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by Carousel
    DSL is bad get cable or fiber.
    DSL itself isn't inherently bad. I had the super far range variety DSL 756kb/128 for a few years before my area got cable internet, and besides limited bandwidth, it wasn't any laggier than my friend's cable connection. The only thing like I said is the limited bandwidth...

I have 1024kbs down and 128kbs up ADSL at the moment. WoW and vent run fine, as long as nobody else is using the connection. WoW and vent itself do not require too much bandwidth. But if you plan on sharing your internet connection and are going to have multiple users online at the same time, then I wouldn't get anything below 3mbs download and 256k upload.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely