Too much crit? :/

Hey guys ...

I just read the "10k dps shamans"-thread and took a view upon their crit ratings.
    Most of them were around 45% or lower with a hit rating similar to my own, around 420ish.

Since I took up the Whispering Fanged Skull my Crit unbuffed is above 50%, and now I start worrying about the critcap.
    Rawr says that I'm good to go with around 9300dps, but he doesn't take the 5% ICC buff into account. In fact, I do around 8800dps on Saurfang, with the buff. Overall, I do fine for my raid, usually take place behind the rogues in DPS cases. But anyway, I think I'm way over the critcap, wasting too much DPS.

Armory: http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...goroth&cn=Phai

Should I replace the Trinket with something else? What do you suggest?

Small addition:
    If I replace my whispering fanged skull with my Mark of Supremacy, I lose around 150 DPS in rawr.
    I simulated both cases in EnhSim, here are the stats:

Whispering Fanged Skull:
    Code:
    MH:
    miss        1026921    6.93%
    dodge        0       0.00%
    glancing      3557155    24.00%
    hit         226954     1.53%
    crit        10011785    67.54%

DPS         9965.30
    Mark of Supremacy:
    Code:
    MH:
    miss        446352     3.02%
    dodge        0       0.00%
    glancing      3550285    23.99%
    hit         1251699    8.46%
    crit        9550240    64.53%

DPS         9859.38
    I just can't take these numbers serious. Do Rawr and EnhSim really take the crit cap into account?

Re: Too much crit? :/

Quote Originally Posted by absurd
    I just can't take these numbers serious. Do Rawr and EnhSim really take the crit cap into account?
    yes

I think your priority is screwed cause I have less gear than you, and I'm well on the 10k dps on the Saurfang battle, sorry that i don't have a log to prove it, but you're just gonna have to trust me on this one :P

Now the thing about the crit cap is of course that with all procs and buffs you should never go above 100%, asides this the soft crit cap is a point where the stat crit just doesn't give you as much as haste or ap or whichever stat would give you, so all you really can do is to look out for gear that drops that would give you more haste over crit really, because it's the only other stat you'd want.

If you feel you're over the cap you could start by enchanting your cloak with haste and boots with 32 ap instead perhaps :P

Cloak with hase is a good point, thank you very much.

I'm playing around with the Priority Queue now, perhaps I can push my DPS a little with it.

When I take the Best Single Target Spec and the Priority Queue from the BiS 10 Man only thread I can achieve 9995 DPS according to EnhSim. Thats just 30 DPS better than my current spec, and I still can't reach these numbers.

You've got 13% melee hit from gear, 1% from racial, and 6% from talents, expertise capped. Your miss chance is [(19+8)-(13+1+6)] 7%. Tack on 24% glance and the maximum percentage of white crits you can get is 69%. In order to get 69% you need 70.8% crit chance on your paper doll and an Ele Sham/Ret/Mut Rogue. Now we get 9% melee crit from elemental devastation, so if you are fully buffed and your char sheet says 61.8% or higher you are crit capped.

Of course an even easier way to tell is to simply run the sim and see if you are getting a lower crit chance with white attacks than with specials.

If you are actually worried about crit cap a better suggestion would be to drop your current ring for the ring off marrowgar than to change to a pretty weak trinket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

drop agi from the cloak, drop icewalker from boots (get tuskers)

should put you just under the crit cap if you have all the raid buffs.

51.22% crit + strenght of air ( roughly 2.1% crit ) + motw ( roughly 0.7% crit ) + kings ( ~2.5 % in your case ) + elemental devastation ( 9% crit ) + leader of the pack ( 5% crit ) + ret paladin debuff on mobs ( 3% crit )

=73.52% crit

100%-24%glancing-7.92%miss+4.8% crit depression => 72.88% crit cap

73.52%-72.88% crit = 0.64% crit over the cap whenever you´re fully raidbuffed and have elemental devastation going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

im having a simmilar problem. with heroic wispering fanged skull im sitting at 50.something% crit and raid buffed it gets really rediculous. Ive resorted to gemming hit for now, untill i can get the ring off morrowgar or replace WFS with TAiaJ. the trinket is great, but it does definately create some problems