Prot trinket/gemming question

Hello,

I got myself http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50352 today, I've been using http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47216 along with http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50356 up until now. I'm thinking of replacing the heart, though I thought I'd ask for some help with that first. Is it worth it? How often does the heart actually proc? I know one of them is an EH trinket and the other one is focused on avoidance so I'm probably gonna get the "swap them depending on the boss" answer but still I'd like to hear a little more feedback on this :-\

Also, a question about gemming, as you can see from my armory (link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...&n=blinkstrike) I'm mostly gemming pure stam. From what I've read it's more effective to do it this way on higher ilvls as avoidance is suffering more from DR unlike stam, still, I'm wondering whether I should match some of the sockets anyway?

Re: Prot trinket/gemming question

I run with the key and the coin (replaced the black heart with the coin recently.) 1.25k health and the armor from the black heart are nice, but the "smart" proc on the coin, coupled with the blood draining enchant has saved my life a lot.
    Ideally, your health would never be low enough for them to proc, but when shit hits the fan, it at least buys you time for you healers to get something off, or for you to react and hit a CD.

Well you should carry all the trinkets you can that are different. I trinket swap on tons of fights, depending on the difficulty and type of encounter. If it's heavy melee wear armor trinkets (organ/glyph) or stack up some dodge trinkets to counter the chill of the throne if you're in ICC. If the fight is magical or you want some padding, wear stam trinkets. Don't conform to the "these are the best cause others say so or others wear them". Stay flexible and swap around if need be.

As far as gemming goes, it really is up to your play style, gear choices and the encounters you face. I prefer stam in any socket unless the bonus for that piece is 9/12 stamina. If it is a good bonus then I match def/stam in yellow slots or agil(dodge)/stam in red slots. I really have noticed a lack of red sockets with worthwhile bonuses except in one piece, which luckily for us, is the only prerequisite for meta activation.

Thanks for the replies think I'm gonna keep them both after all and switch them accordingly

Deleted

I'd take the Black Heart over the Coin at any time. In most fights, armor trinkets will be your best choice, as taking less damage is better than being able to take more damage. And, while this is arguable, the mitigation gained from armor is not as random as the avoidance gained from dodge.

As for gemming, always gem to get as much stamina as possible. That being said, matching socket bonuses to get +9 or +12 stam is definately worth it. Also, the last couple of weeks I've bought a lot of green +defense/+stam-gems, cuz picking up defenseless legs, feet and chest made some impact on my crit immunity.

TBH I would also pick up the glyph from triumph badges (armor!).
    As your gear improves it will have more and more avoidance on it and sooner or later you'll be knee deep into diminishing returns.
    It still pays off to use the coin for fights like saurfang, but for most fights armor and stamina prevails!

Stam and armor are the way to go in icc.. should also think about using mongoose as a enchant for the armor you get there. Blood draining is nice but with a boss that hits hard and your spiking between 100% to 20% health the blood reserve doesn't stack up quick enough so the heal isn't too good.