Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What Rank Shield for Lich King Infest?

Was wondering if someone could give me a headsup, saving me trouble calculating things mathematically, as to which rank of Power Word Shield I should be using for Infest on Normal Lich King 10 to have Rapture proc yet still keep people above 90% health.

I have 3509 spellpower unbuffed in discipline, I usually just flask and eat a fish feast, so 3679 with food. no ele sham or demo lock. I do NOT have 4 piece bonus yet, so shields are still weak. 5% absorb from hellscreams warsong on my server. My glyph of PWS usually hits for bout 1750 in 10 man iccs so I'm guessing my shields absorb round 8750 or so. If any other discs have about same gear as me and have done infest shielding can you let me know about what rank shield I should be using to pop my bubbles on infest for rapture while keeping people above 90%.

Appreciate any feedback.

Re: What Rank Shield for Lich King Infest?

Excuse me for probably sounding like a complete noob in posting this, but why downrank at all? Same exact manacost, weaker shields.. I don't follow.

Predicting damage - the right way.

Max rank. If your raid is so perfect that nothing drops even a single shield in between infests low enough for infest to rip it off completely (I don't think even top guilds have ever managed that, but who knows), you can always toss one shield to the tank.

OH!!!! I'm such a goof, I didn't read it properly.

I'd just use max rank tbh, since you get a bit of a break replenish should fill you up decently. On putri I'll be close to oom, then after tear gas I'll be almost full mana. ;x Just start shielding when tirion yells CHAMPIONS ATTACK or w/e ;/ shouldn't have a problem with mana.

Predicting damage - the right way.

Rank 12 is the best way to go, even for LK 25

Around 200-500 go through the shield and you get 15-20k mana back on every Infest.
    My personal record was a 19900 proc ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_
    Max rank. If your raid is so perfect that nothing drops even a single shield in between infests low enough for infest to rip it off completely (I don't think even top guilds have ever managed that, but who knows), you can always toss one shield to the tank.
    You fail to understand - he doesn't want a single shield to break - he wants all of them to break, simultaneously netting him huge stonking mana returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Beshar
    Rank 12 is the best way to go, even for LK 25

Around 200-500 go through the shield and you get 15-20k mana back on every Infest.
    My personal record was a 19900 proc ;D
    Isn't there a 12 sec cd on rapture? Or can you get mana back from all shields if they break simultaneously?

Quote Originally Posted by dextermorgan
    Or can you get mana back from all shields if they break simultaneously?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dextermorgan
    Isn't there a 12 sec cd on rapture? Or can you get mana back from all shields if they break simultaneously?
    Half the fun of playing disco on a shield spam fight is abusing this. Suppose you're doing Toravon-10. you want to spam shields across the raid for whiteout, but if you just spam like mad shields will inevitably pop to other aoe and you'll potentially run oom if dps suck. There is however a simple solution - you don't shield until about 15 secs before whipeout. Then you shield a tank, which immediately pops - now giving you 12 seconds in which your rapture ICD can't be reset. Now the odds are firmly in your favour that you'll get 5-6 simultaneous pops off of the whiteout.

I play this little game with myself every time I do Toravon now, it's really quite easy to generate huge amounts of mana via it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    You fail to understand - he doesn't want a single shield to break - he wants all of them to break, simultaneously netting him huge stonking mana returns.

1. This would essentially defeat the entire point of having a disc in the raid - having people not get infest debuff in the first place.
    2. Even a single broken shield puts rapture on CD, raping this approach and resulting in additional problems from 1.

The point of preshielding there is not to minimize damage from initial infest application. It is to eliminate it entirely. Else, you're stressing your other raid healers to extent where you are essentially buying your mana at a cost of raping your other healers.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_

1. This would essentially defeat the entire point of having a disc in the raid - having people not get infest debuff in the first place.
    2. Even a single broken shield puts rapture on CD, raping this approach and resulting in additional problems from 1.
    Infest is removed if the player has >90% hp, so you want the bubble to pop, keeping everyone above that mark. In result you get the initial Infest damage, and the debuff is removed right after. On top of that, you get huge mana gains.

As for which rank to use, I can't help out much, since I switch to Holy and simply heal the infests with Circle.

10+ Year Old Account

Guys, I swear to you: there is no reason to down rank Shield in LK. I've healed as Disc in both 10 and 25.

BRIDGE YOUR SHIELDS!

What is Bridging a shield? Start Shielding ~8 seconds before the Infest cooldown timer is up. Shield everyone but the two tanks. Do not overwrite your shields after Weakened Soul falls off, but let your shields carry over to the next Infest. There will be a couple that get through, but the raid healers were falling asleep anyways. For 25 man the timing is different as well, and something you'll have to figure out on your own.

Every other Infest I get the multiple Rapture proc and spend less mana overall. It's a much better strat than undergearing yourself or using downranked for 2 phases. You want gobs of SP for P3 and support tank healing, stop gimping yourselves in order to exploit Rapture: just play smarter.

Deleted

Fr, I have no idea what you mean ???

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Abb
    Fr, I have no idea what you mean ???
    /shrug

Map two ranks of Shields then: Max and low enough to barely break.

15+ Year Old Account

i dont know why this was bumped, but just cast shield on 1 group 4 seconds before the infest cast. the shields on that group will absorb one infest, and break on the next. each infest shield a different group (i alternate between 2 groups, and PoH a third group).

you can easily support 3 groups this way in p1 of LK, and easily 2 in P2
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll
    you can easily support 3 groups this way in p1 of LK, and easily 2 in P2
    If you PW:S everyone and that's all you do you can easily support 20 people.

15+ Year Old Account

you also dont have extra mana if needed for anything. what's the point of over-reaching yourself? by alternating between two groups you get5 rapture proc's off each infest (after the first one) rather than a few procs off each infest (if you dont overwrite shields already there).

i dont know if other people do this, but i dont have a 'lk set' that is all int, and i dont gem for any int. its personal playstyle, and i choose to leave some responsibility to other healers in order to not over-reach my capabilities. having myself, a holy priest, and shamans healing makes infest a joke anyways.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Shield everyone but the tank 8-7s before the fight starts.
    Use mana food to get full mana before the fight starts after everyone is shielded.
    Rinse repeat, no need to downrank for infest.
    This whole idea of still needing all these rapture procs to sustain mana is silly.
    Use shadowfiend at 2nd phase transition.
    If you manage to use your fiend and hymn of hope wisely, you should never run out of mana on this fight.
    Another suggestion is to use IED meta if you want.

Deleted

This is how I did it:

at 16sec be4 the fight starts, I shield everyone, inlcuding the tanks. i quickly drink up. when first infest is cast. i stand up automaticly cuz of the dmg and Power infuse our shadow priest. From that point, i shield everyone EXCEPT the tanks 6-8sec be4 infest. If you do it perfectly. All 8 shields will last throught 2 infests, and there you go: hello rapture x8
    Then rince and repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Pyra
    This is how I did it:

at 16sec be4 the fight starts, I shield everyone, inlcuding the tanks. i quickly drink up. when first infest is cast. i stand up automaticly cuz of the dmg and Power infuse our shadow priest. From that point, i shield everyone EXCEPT the tanks 6-8sec be4 infest. If you do it perfectly. All 8 shields will last throught 2 infests, and there you go: hello rapture x8
    Then rince and repeat
    Your shields might not have all been removed till they're hit by the second infest, but their effectiveness in handling the removal of the debuff is used up on the first - there will only be a small absorb remaining to carryover towards a second infest, not nearly enough to handle it. Also, the odds of that small remnant not being removed from someone by incidental damage are pretty steep, so you're not likely to ever see rapture x8.

In 10-man you shouldn't have mana issues anyway so you may as well refresh them each set (and given you're handing off your PI to dps in sections of the fight which are anything but a dps race it doesn't sound like you are) and not leave your other healers wondering 'wait is he handling infest this time or not?'.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic