ilvl 277 Bryntroll, the Bone Arbiter - go for it (replace shad edge)?

Hey all..

I aint normally so torn on making gear choices as I am over this. I am currently playing as main spec arms for the 25man raids to bring the bleeds/trauma for the other dps in the group. Previously to this I used to play Fury and have came back after a few months break from raiding. Anyway..

Basically last Tuesday I got hold of Shadows Edge (with some help from guild mates, thank you if you read this!). Now last night we killed Marrowgar on heroic 25 as normal and he dropped the 277ilvl Bryntroll. I am currently on trial anyway due to taking a extended break so I didn't bother really pursuing the item, so it ended up going as offspec to the tank. Since this though I have had a few people asking why I didn't go for it. And that's where it gets difficult due to the stat balances.

I am by not geared amazingly at the moment by far (still rely on Grim Toll to ArP cap for example) but I am doing ok(ish).

Is the 277 Bryntroll a upgrade over Shad's Edge is my basic question. (I also had the normal version of bryntroll and its proc used to be 4-5% of fight damage, I am assuming the HC version is the same?)

NOTE this is the HEROIC Bryntroll, NOT the Normal version!

(armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...uralyon&n=Hack )

Opinions on it? I am sure I won't be the only person with this query with heroic kills being more common place.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: ilvl 277 Bryntroll, the Bone Arbiter - go for it (replace shad edge)?

Specc fury and use both?

If your guild doesn't really need you as arms that is.

all trauma/mangle etc bleed effects had their duration greatly improved, you should not be made to gimp your dps by so much to prevent say your resident feral druid losing 100 or so by mangling once a minute.

spec fury, use both

both thosae comments really didnt help at all, assuming he is only arms war/feral druid, and is needed for the bleed/trauma. as for replacing, are you going to get shadowmourne at any time in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgrazr
    both thosae comments really didnt help at all, assuming he is only arms war/feral druid, and is needed for the bleed/trauma. as for replacing, are you going to get shadowmourne at any time in the future?
    or he might be needed for the physical damage debuff, currently only brought by arms warriors and combat rogs

Well bryntoll(heroic) is alot better than shadows edge. It will take long before you get shadowmourne, and as you say you are trial so will you even get it?

The reason for him being arms is most likely because they don't have a combat rogue, and that 4% phys debuff is needed.
    I don't get this game

Yup, thats the reason I said Arms (And we dont run a feral druid either, we have a fury war for crit). If they needed Fury then I would of course be fury. Besides I enjoy the arms playstyle more than fury at the moment.

I know the top/bottom end damage on the hc bryntroll is higher than shad edge but I am concerned if its worthwhile with the stats differences/loss from changing weapons over. I guess there is no clear answer and I'll have to spend some time on the dummies before the exchange timer runs out (which is less than ideal anyway).

The other small thing is ofc is bryntroll is 3.4 speed compared to the 3.7 on shad edge.

At the moment I aint convinced that there is that much of a difference.

More opinions very welcome (and yes, I am playing as Arms so don't bring up going Fury and using both thank you)

How to improve your dps:
    1) Replace GT and hardcap ArP, not a difficult thing to do anymore.
    2) Use Shadow's edge

BT is fairly awful, even the heroic version which landsoul's spreadsheet confirms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarudy
    How to improve your dps:
    1) Replace GT and hardcap ArP, not a difficult thing to do anymore.
    2) Use Shadow's edge

BT is fairly awful, even the heroic version which landsoul's spreadsheet confirms.
    I was not asking how to improve my dps...

1) Obviously hard cap ArP but If the items are not available for the time being so sticking with softcapping via GT proc is the way I'll have to do it for now.
    2) 'Use Shadow's Edge' is a nice comment but other than that does anyone have any actual details on if its better or worse? landsoul's spreadsheet and rawr both suggest BT is slightly better than Shad Edge (thats the result I get, don't forget I am arms spec also)

Plugging both into my ideal set I made in Landsoul's spreadsheet (ICC-25 non-hero loot), both weapons are within <100 DPS of each other.
    (10295 SE, 10279 Bryn)

For me at that point it's really a matter of preference. Shadow's Edge is an awesome-looking weapon with great stats that is sure to last. Bryn is also an excellent weapon, can be decent in PvP due to health proc. The only difference is really the proc vs stats and I'd prefer the stats over the proc myself.

Additionally, afaik Slam and Whites are still not normalized and being a long-time Arms warrior I like big numbers: slower weapon = bigger numbers! 8)

Edit:

By the way, I think I know why Landsoul's tells you Bryn > SE. ArP really starts to shine closer to 100% as it's benefit increases exponentially. Seeing as you are at soft-cap, most of the time (when your trinket is not up) the higher DPS Bryn will win over SE. As you get closer to hard-cap you should start seeing that the extra ArP provided by SE will actually outweigh the higher DPS of Bryn.

The numbers I posted above were obtained with the same gear, so when Bryn is subbed in I lose ~6% ArP. Would be interesting to try Bryn with hard-cap ArP, which would clearly require some regearing.

Here's my thought: take it if it drops and nobody needs it for MS under the premise that you might use it later. It would also give you an excellent option for a weapon if you ever want to run Fury (or run both interchangeably).

Thank you for the detailed answer.. was assuming it would come down to the ArP levels I currently have via gear.

As nice as it is I reckon I'll leave it with the tank who got it as offspec (even though he never goes dps). I am sure it will drop a few more times in the future (seen the non heroic one drop far far far too many times now)

Glad to see my gut feelings over the weapons were not far off

/respect

Why would u want Bryn for a Fury weapon when the BiS Fury weapon is the Mace from Princes especially if they are doing hardmodes. Pvp sure, but not for Fury lol.
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

"Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking"

The maces from Princes aren't BiS. Throw aside Shadowmourne for a moment (which is BiS for every 2hder class due to the proc), and its 2x Swords from LK.

2x Heroic maces are better than SE and Heroic Mace...but its not BiS.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

Quote Originally Posted by Battousai
    The maces from Princes aren't BiS. Throw aside Shadowmourne for a moment (which is BiS for every 2hder class due to the proc), and its 2x Swords from LK.

2x Heroic maces are better than SE and Heroic Mace...but its not BiS.
    The heroic maces are better than the normal swords from LK... For almost everyone it is going to be quite sometime before they obtain the heroic swords from LK due to the extreme difficulty of the encounter

10+ Year Old Account

This is a setup I've made that after playing about for while on the spreadsheet is the Best set of gear I could assemble that didn't include HEROIC 25 man lk swords. personally I see it stupid to aim for heroic LK weapons as part of your Best raiding gear as the whole point in your gear is to beat the encounters, so getting the best set possible to help kill LK heroic is the entire point in gearing in ICC for me. I couldn't care less what drops from him as its only E-peen loot.

This is what I'm working towards at the moment, its 4 hit over cap, 2 expertise rating over cap, 2 arp under cap(with food). which is the nerest I could get.

Bis Non-Heroic LK 25

wowheadprofile - http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20993395

Helm: Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Helmet (Heroic)
    Neck: Sindragosa's Cruel Claw (Heroic)
    Shoulders: Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Shoulderplates (Heroic)
    Cloak: Shadowvault Slayer's Cloak (Heroic) (The 50 attempts Cloaks from 25man may be better but MEH faction champions can go F*ck themselves with that RNG encounter)
    Chest: Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Battleplate (Heroic)
    Bracer: Toskk's Maximized Wristguards (Heroic)
    Gloves: Aldriana's Gloves of Secrecy (Heroic)
    Belt: Coldwraith Links (Heroic)
    Legs: Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Legplates (Heroic)
    Boots: Blood-Soaked Saronite Stompers (Heroic)
    Rings: Frostbrood Sapphire Ring (Heroic) Ashen Band of Endless Vengeance
    Trinkets: Whispering Fanged Skull (Heroic) Deathbringer's Will (Heroic)
    Weapon: Cryptmaker (Heroic)
    Offhand: Glorenzelg, High Blade of the Silver Hand
    Ranged/Idol/Libram: Stakethrower (Heroic)

Gentlemen,
    this discussion is veering way off-topic. The OP is asking SE vs Hero Bryn for arms, not what the BiS set is or what the Fury weapons of choice are. Personally, I'd like the LK heroic Polearm, but that is neither here nor there.