Thread: Quel for Prot

Quel for Prot

I was wondering if any of you guys who are familiar with the warrior math could answer a question for me.

I recently leveled a warrior to 80 and play as prot 95% of the time. This is also my #4 alt, so I probably won't be raiding at all on him, so he probably won't see anything more than heroics and maybe VoA/weekly raid.

My question is how much additional dps/threat am I gonna see if I get the 1H dps Quel'Delar over the Rimefang sword. Most of my fun on this guy is tanking 5 mans for my guildies and trying to do as much damage in them while we clear it. I also do most of my soloing of quests and pvp as prot too. Although I do have a Fury off spec, now that I have all my prot badge gear I'm just grabbing pieces here and there.

Would I see more than a 500 dps gain with it over Rimefang? If not I might just get the 2H version for Fury when I occasionally dps. Just wondering how much off a dps gain I could expect with it.

Re: Quel for Prot

Not much, anyways not more then 300-400 (generous numbers), i would say you would gain more out of simply getting a 2hander for fury. Tanking with slow 1handers is not really..."optimal". If you have good enough tank/dps gear and mix it up and use a slow 1hander you can see very nice numbers, but for that you need proper healing and cant be done in ICC5 man heroics unless you have VERY GOOD gear or healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik
    Not much, anyways not more then 300-400 (generous numbers), i would say you would gain more out of simply getting a 2hander for fury. Tanking with slow 1handers is not really..."optimal". If you have good enough tank/dps gear and mix it up and use a slow 1hander you can see very nice numbers, but for that you need proper healing and cant be done in ICC5 man heroics unless you have VERY GOOD gear or healer.
    Not really, wasn't devastate buffed this patch? slower weap = way more dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn
    Not really, wasn't devastate buffed this patch? slower weap = way more dmg
    Not really, the margin is not that high. You can still replace melee swings with Heroic Strikes, while Devastating. Heroic Strike often+Devastate for the win.

To be honest most of the dps increase should be coming from the weapon quality level instead of his weapon damage. Maybee it could be more then a 400 dps increase but no really by much because the inherent limitation on dps stats on tank gear.

Far as I know dmg of devastate is normalized. Meaning that 2 weapons with exactly the same stats (ilvl/dps/etc) but different swing speeds (which would mean different X-Y dmg) would have the same dmg done by devastate. Only thing a slower weap vs a faster one affects is heroic strike/cleave dmg. Since both of em replace you white swings you should end up with pretty much the same dmg. Slow weap = higher HS hits but they will happen less frequent. Fast weap = lower HS hits but will happen more often. At the end of the day, theres no difference between a fast and a slow weapon (in most cases, hero/lust would affect a slow one more). If you like having slow swing speed and big numbers, play with a slow one.

How to get higher dps for faster dungeon runs as Prot:

1. Get the glyph of cleaving
    2. Spec in improved revenge
    3. Use cleave whenever possible and keep revenge on CD
    4. Don't chain pull, handle each group one at a time as fast as possible and then move along.
    (Optional) 5. Get the glyph of shockwave, shockwave should be kept on CD at all times.

4 is actually pretty important. Now I'm not saying you can't chain pull or even that you shouldn't. Rather what I've found is that when you try to chain pull a dungeon and speed things up your chances of getting in over your head and losing time because of death go way up.

So pick mob sizes that you and your friends are comfortable with and burn them down as fast as you can. This will net you faster dungeon runs over trying to pull an entire room and causing a wipe when you didn't hit shieldwall as fast as you could, or had TC/SW on cooldown and somehow a loose mob killed your healer.

Oh and there's also the "super-OP-healer" method. That's where you go in wearing plate DPS gear in Fury spec, don't even bother with a shield, make sure you and your other DPSers are at 30k health and you just burn everything down before it can so much as look at you funny.

Ive used super hard hitting slow weapons and my dps comes out to about the same due to rage gain being slower. Just use a fast tanking weapon and sell it or send it to an alt.