Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Cata -- Mages have other AoE's... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture
    Arcane Explosion is used all the time by Arcane Mages. Combine with cooldowns the damage/dps it puts out is ridiculous and the way it interacts with Clearcasting means you'll generally have +30% crit chance and barely use any mana. The only time you should be using any other spell as Arcane is if you think being in range is too risky.

Arcane Explosion is honestly terrible compared to R9/R8/Blizz. If you do two flamestrikes then blizzard clearcasting will often proc for blizzard, which means you have increased crit for the whole blizzard duration. (Even then, blizzard would do more even if it didn't crit)

The only time you should do explosion is if mobs will die very fast or when it's not possible to channel.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    i want barrage to hit someone and split to nearby targets, like a 3sec cd mindsear, with big hits. it means we could spam AE in between barrages, or you could just single target ramp up ABlast then barrage at 4 stacks. it would also mean pve mages would use the damn spell.
    Arcane AoE is MORE then fine do to its abundance of awesome cooldowns and 2/2 Spell Power inflating the crits.
    Especially with a lot of mages now deserting IA, you've freed up 3 points for something else. So if you easily want to smash AoE as Arcane, go for 3/3 Ice Shards (+ 2/2 Spell Power = 225% Blizzard crits lol).
    Arcane AoE is NUTS with cooldowns + fs8 + fs9 + Blizzard, back when I was that spec I had no problems coming 1st on ICC trash raid after raid.

WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

In my opinion mages have the most aoe variety of any class at this point. If anything we need more single target abilities.

What about Presence of Mind -> Flamestrike, Blizzard?
    At least that's the way I do it on my mage alt, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarvian
    What about Presence of Mind -> Flamestrike, Blizzard?
    At least that's the way I do it on my mage alt, lol.
    Flamestrike (R9) -> PoM -> Flamestrike (R8) & Blizzard. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by TacTican
    I'd be satisfied with Blizzard (the company, not the spell) giving us Wall of Fire in Cataclysm.
    if ur thinking wat im thinking, in that itd be a placeable wall that would stay ther for a specific amount of time.
    i think thatd be a really cool concept, it could be used effectivley for channeling opponents into areas, or as a shield as u regan health or mana.

why are there mages saying they want more aoe spells? lolface :
    poopie

10+ Year Old Account

How about making arcane explosion like chain lightning?

Any target being hit by it would be exploding for another arcane explosion dealing say 25% damage of the initial one. The ones struck by that explosion would be hit by 10% of the initial one. This way it would exponentially increase in potency with number of targets it attacks, kinda neat mechanic if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna
    How about making arcane explosion like chain lightning?

Any target being hit by it would be exploding for another arcane explosion dealing say 25% damage of the initial one. The ones struck by that explosion would be hit by 10% of the initial one. This way it would exponentially increase in potency with number of targets it attacks, kinda neat mechanic if you ask me.
    I could see adding that into a deep Arcane talent. I like it, actually.
    Shimmering Explosions?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

WTB

Arcane Bomb
    Instead of Arcane explosion Coming from you. The mob you are targeting would explode with Arcane Explosion hitting all targets within its range.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial
    Arcane AoE is MORE then fine do to its abundance of awesome cooldowns and 2/2 Spell Power inflating the crits.
    Especially with a lot of mages now deserting IA, you've freed up 3 points for something else. So if you easily want to smash AoE as Arcane, go for 3/3 Ice Shards (+ 2/2 Spell Power = 225% Blizzard crits lol).
    Arcane AoE is NUTS with cooldowns + fs8 + fs9 + Blizzard, back when I was that spec I had no problems coming 1st on ICC trash raid after raid.

how come you linked my post? i was just stating an idea, not bitching about arcane aoe. i still fs8/fs9 ae if i know i'm not gonna die. also, to whoever mentioned it, arcane potency doesn't affect the entire blizzard cast, just the wave after it procs, so with more targets, you'll gain more benefit from ae.