Prot Pally Honour purchases...?

Hey all!

I've recently decided to devote my dust-collecting prot paladin to PVP. Before the whole "go ret or go home" wave starts, I've always loved prot and always hated ret, so I'm going to stick with it (prot) through thick and thin.

In looking at the various "trees" of honour gear available, I'm noticing a serious lack of Prot-ish stuff. That's fine, I can deal with that, the ret stuff is largely str/stam based, so, cool. The one hair I'm having a hard time splitting though is what do do in the slots that go AP or SP, such as cloaks.

Do prot pallys get more use out of raw AP or out of SP in PVP? I'm finding I'm dismounting by using Avenger's shield (glyphed), and rotating between hammer and judgement, and that's a lot of spell damage, but my hammer scales to weapon DPS... so it's a tough call.

I know the total absence of block rating will kill my SoR (when I get it, 70 now), so it's probably useless to me, (unless spell power helps that too) but I'm wondering which to go for in the slots where it's a choice between AP (not Str, which would be a no brainer with "touched by the light") or spell power.

Please bear in mind, arena doesn't interest me, I'm in this for BG's.

Any and all constructive comments appreciated, thanks for reading
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

Re: Prot Pally Honour purchases...?

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon
    Hey all!

I've recently decided to devote my dust-collecting prot paladin to PVP. Before the whole "go ret or go home" wave starts, I've always loved prot and always hated ret, so I'm going to stick with it (prot) through thick and thin.

In looking at the various "trees" of honour gear available, I'm noticing a serious lack of Prot-ish stuff. That's fine, I can deal with that, the ret stuff is largely str/stam based, so, cool. The one hair I'm having a hard time splitting though is what do do in the slots that go AP or SP, such as cloaks.

Do prot pallys get more use out of raw AP or out of SP in PVP? I'm finding I'm dismounting by using Avenger's shield (glyphed), and rotating between hammer and judgement, and that's a lot of spell damage, but my hammer scales to weapon DPS... so it's a tough call.

I know the total absence of block rating will kill my SoR (when I get it, 70 now), so it's probably useless to me, (unless spell power helps that too) but I'm wondering which to go for in the slots where it's a choice between AP (not Str, which would be a no brainer with "touched by the light") or spell power.

Please bear in mind, arena doesn't interest me, I'm in this for BG's.

Any and all constructive comments appreciated, thanks for reading
    There are few things in your post I would like to point out.
    First, it's block value instead of block rating that influence SoR.
    Second, SP and AP have equal effect on avenger shield according to the formula shown on wowhead.com,
    which is [1100 + 0.07 * SPH + 0.07 * AP] to [1344 + 0.07 * SPH + 0.07 * AP].
    Hence, AP will beat SP when you are considering damage because AP also influence your white hit and HoR (4 x main hand damage).

Personally I have never seen any protribution pally that went with any SP gear.
    The only exception is on the arena shields for people who cannot gain access to a pve tanking shield.
    People would pick the sp+crit shield instead of the pure resilience shield.
    If you have the choice, use pve shield with str and block value .
    Most the time as a protribution, you still gem and gear as a ret who wants STR.
    The difference between protribution and ret is that prot can use block value and has more survivability.
    Prot get to use more pve pieces which may replace those AP offset pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by silentwords
    There are few things in your post I would like to point out.
    First, it's block value instead of block rating that influence SoR.
    Second, SP and AP have equal effect on avenger shield according to the formula shown on wowhead.com,
    which is [1100 + 0.07 * SPH + 0.07 * AP] to [1344 + 0.07 * SPH + 0.07 * AP].
    Hence, AP will beat SP when you are considering damage because AP also influence your white hit and HoR (4 x main hand damage).

Personally I have never seen any protribution pally that went with any SP gear.
    The only exception is on the arena shields for people who cannot gain access to a pve tanking shield.
    People would pick the sp+crit shield instead of the pure resilience shield.
    If you have the choice, use pve shield with str and block value .
    Most the time as a protribution, you still gem and gear as a ret who wants STR.
    The difference between protribution and ret is that prot can use block value and has more survivability.
    Prot get to use more pve pieces which may replace those AP offset pieces.
    Thanks! That was really helpful!

"Protribution" hehe ya that pretty much fits my gear and talent ethic. Thanks again!

Hello sir.

As protret, you should use FULL ret PvP gear with a 1Hander / shield.

You're still stacking full STR, STR give you block. You do not stack Block value.

Glyph's are, Avenger's Sheild, Judgement, X.

Quote Originally Posted by macke
    Hello sir.

As protret, you should use FULL ret PvP gear with a 1Hander / shield.

You're still stacking full STR, STR give you block. You do not stack Block value.

Glyph's are, Avenger's Sheild, Judgement, X.
    Seems I'm in the right mindset then, because that's exactly what I did.

My only question was the raw AP Vs SP angle. I know strength trumps all!

Again, thanks for the help.