Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Power Word: Shield design (visual effect)

Hi mates...

I might be the only one with a thought like this, but I get really annoying if I see content of the game in lower quality than other content, when both are actually pretty much uses. A great example could be the design of Power Word: Shield. Blizzard has kept this design for WoW's entire duration, while many other spells received updates in terms of design and quality. With every patch spells began looking better and greater. Fire looked like fire, frost like frost etc. etc. I mean those spells are anyway flying in a speed, so we barely noticed the changes (some didn't), but Priests are watching their shields on their targets.
    I mean come on Blizzard! We all know you can do it much better (Sacred Shield or Hand of Protection). For me as a player it makes me feel like Blizzard feels less cared about a class, and it therefor removes the quality of the class. I don't necessarily want the design to be changed, but at least become improved and look more like everything else begins to look like in the game.

Is this how you feel aswell, or does design mean nothing to you?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Power Word: Shield design

I think power word shield looks cool as it is now
    Sure there could be improvements but I think a lot of other priests would dislike any new design

10+ Year Old Account

I care a lot about design, but PW:S is awesome. Just increase Disc's Single target HPS to make them a viable tank healer.

(in b4 PvP ruins PvE content)

if it aint broken, dont fix it.

Are you talking about the visual effect of the spell, the spell mechanics, or both?

As far as the visual effect goes, I want it to remain subtle because its used so frequently. I would rather not have the raid look like light bulbs running around.

What would you change about the visual effect?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by aGit
    if it aint broken, dont fix it.
    You've no idea about product development. >

xD

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Power Word: Shield design (visual effect)

Um...huh?

Last I checked, pretty much every old spell in the game still looks, well, old. Frostbolt is still Frostbolt, Fireball is still Fireball, Smite is still Smite, ect.

I'm totally confused, what exactly is the complaint here again? Shield is fine, I can't see a single thing wrong with it. Besides which, they already enhanced it's graphic once. It used to not be anywhere near as noticable in the past.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    Um...huh?

Last I checked, pretty much every old spell in the game still looks, well, old. Frostbolt is still Frostbolt, Fireball is still Fireball, Smite is still Smite, ect.
    this is exactly what I mean Patch 3.1 improved many design of fire, frost etc. (no Smite though). I was so excited and asked Mages in cities to come with me to target dummy to show me the new designs

Don't forget the updated mindflay and other channeled spells like drain soul (drain mana look sick imo) so they have updated it but heres the thing i dont understand is why you care so much about PW:S in a raid environment theres 2 different things 1 where the whole raid is running around with it on or 2 when it goes up on a tank and disapeares immediately. I personally like the way it looks now but maybe thats just me.

Well considering how many more problems there are in the game at the moment, the visual effects of a spell is hardly at the top of their to do list. and who knows, they could fuck it up really bad if they touched it, see the new dispersion for reference.

So i'm going to have to go with my previous statement, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

I think OP means that PW:S still has 2D graphical effect. It looks really bad when viewed from above.
    You see, there's this thing called "aggro". It's a very complicated, very technical roleplaying expression.
    Loosely translated, it means "the priest dies".

^ Yeah, that.

Turn your camera to look straight down. It's awful. I like the 'glowy shield' look, but I wish it was 3d. DA's soap-bubble is at least 3d.

Hai guys sacred shield is 2d also. It only looks better because it's a very new spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    "Can you handle the Paperwork please?"
    "The only escape is death..."
    "Umm, ok, but would you mind? It's not much, really."
    "Stick Around!"
    "I'd love to, but i've gotta get back to the meeting"
    "BOOOOONESTOOOORM!
    *Marrowgar knocks the paperwork off the desk in rage*

15+ Year Old Account

Especially when looking from above it's ugly, but still the design effect is kinda crap :S

10+ Year Old Account

Don't make it any more complex. There's 10+ up at all times and I don't need less frame rates.

15+ Year Old Account

Thrust me, it won't impact your FPS (almost). And if it does, you shouldn't be able to play WoW on it. I mean it really got to be bad.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    Thrust me, it won't impact your FPS (almost). And if it does, you shouldn't be able to play WoW on it. I mean it really got to be bad.
    Prettier spells = more graphics = less FPS

I'm guessing that's part of the reason they don't make it more complex. When we had 3 Val'anyrs in raid my FPS went down purely because of how complex Blessing of Ancient Kings is. There's also a lot more pressing graphics in need of an upgrade as has been previously pointed out.

15+ Year Old Account

If spells' impact your FPS by that much, you should then lower the quality inside the settings. Then a Sacred Shield and PW:S designs wouldn't make a difference in terms of taking FPS from your FPS.

IMO its about time they made bubbles,shields and portals 3d.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

They've gotten worse with the 2D stuff lately, actually.

I mean, PW:S doesn't look the exact same when you view it from above, it actually squeezes down a bit.

The jewelry on the new cat and bear forms never move, even when you view from straight up, making the jewelry look like it has some anti-gravity effect on it.