Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Mouseover Healing Vs. Standard Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot
    ... Are you retarded or did you not read what I typed? The entire point is that you can heal just fine without losing target. Yes, heal others. Yes, without mouseover. Turn of auto self cast, tadaaa you can target others.
    No need for the accusations about retardation sir.

What you're saying is if you turn off auto self cast, you can heal other players without losing your enemy target?

Meaning you could be meleeing the boss with seal of wisdom, and heal players in the raid at the same time without mouseover macros?

Help me understand what you meant.
    skott#1374 - add me to expand your b.net friends list of reliable players for raiding/arena.

Video if myself raid healing, raid dps, and raid tanking:

http://goo.gl/wNZeS5

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinOrcWarrior
    haha well it is fairly true.

No.

If you click on hand of protection, I believe it would cast it on yourself?
    Only if you have auto-selfcast on.

I've just started healing on my priest and have never failed because of not having mouseover macros, but so far this is just in hcs, so maybe they will be useful later on.

@OP

I use the exact same method of healing when on my Paladin or Priest (grid w/ raid debuffs and macros).

A couple patches ago, they changed targeting macros commands a bit, so you can do @target rather than target=target.
    My macros (HL for example) would be:

/cast [@mouseover, noharm, nodead] [@focus, noharm, nodead] [] Holy Light

That way, in the very unlikely case that my target is dead before I cast due to lag (though I wouldnt use HL if the situation was that dire anyway) it means the heal will go straight to my focus (which is always a tank) and not waste time.

For a priest for example, set grid to display both PW:Shield and Weakened soul, renew and Prayer of Mending as different corner dots, combined with a mouseover macro and its fuck easy.

To people who say to use clique instead of a macro: Nothing wrong with this ofc, but I've seen many situations where for some reason or other clique has fucked up, and by using macros you can effectively heal the same way with absolutely no addons active if necessary.
    Grizx Khorin Junhi Shatal Xynh Epysia

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    I'm not sure why anyone ever thought WoW was a hardcore raiding game. It hasn't been from the beginning. It had some timesinks, but that was hardly hardcore.

Mouseover healing since day one. For a resto druid I will say there is now other way to do it as well as with mouseovers. But I use vuhdo and keep my bar keybindings for things like My NS/HT and dps spells.(Rotface died for me for the very first time to moonfire spam with me and the offtank alive some3 months ago or so; talk about epic vent.)
    Been gone since 2011, enjoying being back.

What you're saying is if you turn off auto self cast, you can heal other players without losing your enemy target?

Meaning you could be meleeing the boss with seal of wisdom, and heal players in the raid at the same time without mouseover macros?

Yep.

Turn off Auto-Self Cast in your WoW Settings. It's the "feature" (annoyance imo) that makes it so when you click Holy Light with nothing targetted, it casts it on yourself.

Now, for example, say your bar looks like this:

1 - Flash of Light
    2 - Holy Light
    3 - Sacred Shield
    etc...

If you press your 1 key with a mob selected, it will turn your mouse cursor into a glowy hand. It will then cast the spell on the next friendly target you click on. So you can press 1 and immediately click on your tank, and it will cast Flash of Light on him.

Then, on fights where there's a lot of movement, you can run around with your healing assignment targetted and use the same hotkeys to heal them no matter where your mouse is at (sometimes with the right button held down so you can move around effectively).

If you're going to be in melee, you're probably better off with mouseover macros, but it's not the only way to do it, and it's by no means the best way for all classes, people, and situations. I also really don't understand why paladins care to be in melee anyway. It might be nice for Marrowgar or Festergut, since you're going to be standing near him anyway, but it fails on fights where being in melee means moving a lot, which means less healing. I mean, is it that important to you to end the fight with 80% mana instead of 60% mana that you put yourself through being in melee?

Yes. Without self cast if you hit your heal button with an enemy targeted it turns your curser blue. If you then click on a friendly player, it will cast on that player without changing your target.

Anatidae

As a resto druid i dont use mouseovers cos i dont need it never needed it .
    Never have problems healing because i dont have a mouseover

im sorry but any healer that says clicking is faster then mouseover hasnt ever played with mouseover macros, ive done both for a long time, and im 100% sure mouseover healing is much more effective.

i can only agree with leidus, its everyone personal flavour, but then you probably never really tried mouseover healing. or you never got really into how it works and discarded the method.
    its like people saying "i click my abilities and i dont keybind, and im good!", yet they havent, or hardly tried to keybind, its a known fact that its much much better then clicking, regardless of what they say. They only say that clicking is better because its their way of playing, and nobody has to tell them how to play, nobody is, but if your playing a game like world of warcraft, and second per ability counts, in both pvp and pve.

my point being: there is no use trying to convince others to play your method if they have played theirs for ages. its scientificly proven that people protect their own ways of doing stuff by ignoring all the negative points and inflating all the positive points to the method.
    what im saying is. atleast try to do both for a period of time, get used to it, get your mind set to it, and you will see wich is better.
    if you still think clicking is better, be my guest.

edit;
    Quote Originally Posted by Anatidae
    this here is evidence and exactly my point. if you have never tried it, im sure you havent had trouble healing, but there is always room for improvement.
    and how are you so sure you have no problems BECAUSE you dont use mouseover macros to heal, doesnt make much sense, especially seeing you havent tried it, and never used it, so you cant know.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Then swiftmend that target that just got hit by a vile spirit while running from your vile spirit all while watching tank health. Shift Right click =swiftmend for me at least all while never losing a step and not taking my eyes to far from the tanks slot on my vuhdo.

By mouseover healing you are reducing the number of things your haveto micro manage instead of click this plate hit this button(while also maintaining the other above mentioned) You hit your mouse-click and keep on truckin.

Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    im sorry but any healer that says clicking is faster then mouseover hasnt ever played with mouseover macros, ive done both for a long time, and im 100% sure mouseover healing is much more effective.

i can only agree with leidus, its everyone personal flavour, but then you probably never really tried mouseover healing. or you never got really into how it works and discarded the method.
    its like people saying "i click my abilities and i dont keybind, and im good!", yet they havent, or hardly tried to keybind, its a known fact that its much much better then clicking, regardless of what they say. They only say that clicking is better because its their way of playing, and nobody has to tell them how to play, nobody is, but if your playing a game like world of warcraft, and second per ability counts, in both pvp and pve.

my point being: there is no use trying to convince others to play your method if they have played theirs for ages. its scientificly proven that people protect their own ways of doing stuff by ignoring all the negative points and inflating all the positive points to the method.
    what im saying is. atleast try to do both for a period of time, get used to it, get your mind set to it, and you will see wich is better.
    if you still think clicking is better, be my guest.

edit;
    this here is evidence and exactly my point. if you have never tried it, im sure you havent had trouble healing, but there is always room for improvement.
    and how are you so sure you have no problems BECAUSE you dont use mouseover macros to heal, doesnt make much sense, especially seeing you havent tried it, and never used it, so you cant know.
    You realize clicking abilities and mouseovers aren't the only way right? You can keybind too... It's a middle ground. I don't think real clickers can be in a real progression raiding guild and keep up... Well, maybe holy pallies with that good ol holy light spamming tank healing goodness.

From my perspective, I've been healing a while and I have 3 healers, Paladin/Druid/Shaman. When I first started healing, I was simply clicking on unit frames and pressing the appropriate button for each heal. It worked yes, but I felt incredibly limited. So I looked up easier ways to get things, found out about mouseover macros more in-depth and Healbot and other addons like that. After trying different methods and addons, I've found that Healbot has given me the flexibility I need to get the job done in any environment (Raiding/PVP/Heroics/etc). On all 3 healers I feel using Healbot is far superior to other methods because of the time you save and the flexibility you have. I don't feel it's 100% necessary on a druid as the other 2 healers, but I use it because it displays hot icons on bars instead of just certain colors like other addons (I prefer to see the actual icons instead of squares with colors semi-related to the hot).

So tl;dr: I've tried many healing methods, Healbot has come out on top for nearly everything for me. But everyone's different.

its scientificly proven that people protect their own ways of doing stuff by ignoring all the negative points and inflating all the positive points to the method.
    Proven by who and about who? As far as I know everyone in my guild would be overjoyed to have their playstyle criticised and have ways to improve pointed out to them. It's just part of being a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    Proven by who and about who? As far as I know everyone in my guild would be overjoyed to have their playstyle criticised and have ways to improve pointed out to them. It's just part of being a good player.
    What an interesting way of putting that. Thanks for the new sig quote if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronok
    For a priest for example, set grid to display both PW:Shield and Weakened soul, renew and Prayer of Mending as different corner dots, combined with a mouseover macro and its fuck easy.
    That is the best setup I have come across during all my addon experiments for healing.

With Grid...

For my Shaman I make my Earth Shield a center icon, and my riptide a corner dot.

For my Paladin I make Beacon a center icon, and sacred shield a frame surrounding the player frame. (also have a timer off to the side in-case those are overwritten by curses/raid debuffs)

I was like this guy when I started WoW. I leveled my hunter all the way to 70 and did multiple raids with no addons, keybinds or macros. And I literally thought I was good.

As soon as I experimented with these new methods I realized how horrible of a player I was.
    skott#1374 - add me to expand your b.net friends list of reliable players for raiding/arena.

Tank healers should use standard methods - Awesome healers should use clique.

The gap between someone who clicks the abilities on their bars as opposed to pressing hotkeys is a LOT larger than the gap between someone who presses hot keys to heal a selected target and someone who presses hotkeys to heal a moused over target. The only difference, aside from want to to be able to autoattack the boss, is the time it takes to move your mouse and press the button as opposed to just move your mouse. That small amount of time, which is usually an non issue because of GCD and cast times, is made up for in the ability to use your mouse for other things, like swiveling the camera, or clicking on the few things you don't have a hotkey set up for.

I don't think I could be convinced that holding your mouse over the MT to heal him and not being able to move your mouse without stopping healing him is such a great idea that it outweighs other methods of healing.

Quote Originally Posted by det
    I set up my GRID ages ago. For my life I cannot find PoM assign to Corner Dot Got heals, incoming heals, aggro etc assigned, but can't find this one. Help please?
    go to the Auras section.

Add Prayer of Mending.

Select that attributes for that aura (color, priority, etc)

Then go to the corner you want it, and check off prayer of mending.

Im using Healbot since I created my Priest and cannot rly say if clicking is that bad but I think: Choose a target then click the ability is not that fast as Healbot (or grid with clique, vuhdo or other) cause of one fact:

For example: You may see some people doing shit in raid and gets unexpected dmg. On Healbot, i leftklick and heal begins instant AND my heal begins by pressing the mousebutton and not by release (gaining a little bit speed too, you can never be to fast ). By choosing a target and then heal, you logically LOST a few miliseconds because on healbot you heal instantly your target by choosing your target and not heal it AFTER you choose your target so yes, mouseover IS faster than clicking.

But as Powell said, many people ignore the negative points...i dont know why. I mean, every player should play the game how they want to play it but I would never be a good player if I ignored good advices from other or testing another way to play.

The human beeing is a creature of habit. Break the habit and try something else.
    Im sorry for my bad english :P

I use a combination of mouseover macros and click-to-casts set up on Vudho. I generally try and have my main four or five healing spells keybound, my main 'spammable' spell (e.g. PW: Shield or rejuv) on right click and my main emergency spell (pain suppression or natures swiftness+HT for example) on middle click. I don't have a special mouse with hundreds of buttons and don't like trying to remember all the shift/alt/ctrl combinations so I just use 1-5 and the letter keys around strafe. Situational spells are still 'target and click' for the most part.

It did take a little while to get the hang of, but it is just so much easier!

I can't get my head around grid and mapping little random coloured squares to spells, so Vudho works really well for me as I have it set up for the spell icons to show in a neat line at the bottom of each frame. If you are any sort of healer who needs to track what spells are on what people and cast on multiple targets, mouseover healing and a good raidframe set up are a godsend.