Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...

Re: Mouseover Healing Vs. Standard Methods

grid+clique, hey I even use it on my warrior to intervene a target

Quote Originally Posted by pomop
    I see there is no point talking to you. You are right (and I never said you were wrong) that it is an analogy. The point is, that analogy was so bad that it was almost right.

You can claim that is a good analogy all you want, but it is terrible and should never be spread again, unless in proper context. That analogy would be similar to one such as "Would you rather have a raise, or be fired?".

One such as "Do you like clicking / keybinding or mouseover macros?" does not compare properly. And not only that, but in an analogy, there is a connection. comparing X to Y with X to Y. Are you suggesting that getting shot in the foot as well as getting your arm cut off by a chainsaw is the same as using mouseover macros? I dont think so. (Although i hate mouseover macros)

edit - (may not show edit) that analogy also only leaves the reader to choose one answer. Nobody is going to choose to be shot unless they are joking, in which case again, it is a bad analogy.
    The point you completely seem to miss is that your blanket statement was wrong. You CAN say one thing is better than another, and be completely justified in it. It means your statement was WRONG. Just plain wrong. You didn't SAY "you can't claim clicking is better than mouseovers". Go read your own damn post. You said you can't claim x is better than y. That is WRONG. There is no debating that. You can get pissy that your poor statement allows for shitty analogies, but that's the damn point isn't it? That your statement was a dumb one to make because it's obviously untrue and allows for crazy statements. Do you get it yet? Don't make a ridiculous blanket statement next time. Say what you mean, mean what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot
    The point you completely seem to miss is that your blanket statement was wrong. You CAN say one thing is better than another, and be completely justified in it. It means your statement was WRONG. Just plain wrong. You didn't SAY "you can't claim clicking is better than mouseovers". Go read your own damn post. You said you can't claim x is better than y. That is WRONG. There is no debating that. You can get pissy that your poor statement allows for shitty analogies, but that's the damn point isn't it? That your statement was a dumb one to make because it's obviously untrue and allows for crazy statements. Do you get it yet? Don't make a ridiculous blanket statement next time. Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    I didn't make whatever post you are trying to attack, I am simply responding from one of your posts analogies.

No. Just no.

"So if someone asked you "Which is better, a piece of delicious cake or getting shot in the foot while someone saws off your arm" you'd say "I don't know. I can't claim one is better than the other"?
    Well congrats, you're an idiot then."

That is not a comparison. That is if you would rather be rewarded, or shot in the foot while somebody saws your arm off.

Just no. That does not work, do not ever try to use it again.

A proper analogy would be, "which is better, an apple or an orange?" Not a fucking chainsaw cutting your arm off or a piece of cake.
    This is the first post i made in this thread. I don't believe I made any blanket statements, but I could be wrong.

edit - although it is a common mistake. I have done this myself a few times, thinking the person defending something is the person they were initially arguing with, later to find out they weren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

I didn't make whatever post you are trying to attack, I am simply responding from one of your posts analogies.
    This is the first post i made in this thread. I don't believe I made any blanket statements, but I could be wrong.
    Oh, mah bad. I lose track of who said what, especially when sometimes it takes hours before people reply. He made a blanket statement. I don't like blanket statements because they're largely bullshit. So I called him on it. You can claim X is better than Y. You can claim it and be right even. It was stupid for him to say you can't. It irked me, so I explained why it's a stupid thing to say. It's really that simple. I believe in my first post I even mentioned that obviously this case is not that clear cut. That isn't the point. The point is he said something that was essentially a lie, so I pointed out why it was untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by billy big chin
    yeah these macros make it easier to heal, but if im pulling out just as much hps as you are using them in equally as good gear, then whos got more skills hmm?

HPS doesn't mean much. It's effective healing that separates good from bad. Mouseover healers can generally heal more effectively and faster during clutch moments.
    80 Warrior | 80 Death Knight | 80 Paladin | 80 Rogue | 80 Shaman | 73 Priest | 70 Hunter | 67 Druid | 64 Mage
    Kingslayer | Starcaller | Astral Walker | Duelist

Oh, mah bad. I lose track of who said what, especially when sometimes it takes hours before people reply. He made a blanket statement. I don't like blanket statements because they're largely bullshit. So I called him on it. You can claim X is better than Y. You can claim it and be right even. It was stupid for him to say you can't. It irked me, so I explained why it's a stupid thing to say. It's really that simple. I believe in my first post I even mentioned that obviously this case is not that clear cut. That isn't the point. The point is he said something that was essentially a lie, so I pointed out why it was untrue.
    Yeah, i hate blanket statements as well. It really pisses me off. Everybody =/= one person. Everybody who plays wow does not end up killing people. Everybody who reads catcher and the rye (with the exception of butters) does not want to kill people. :/
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoat

HPS doesn't mean much. It's effective healing that separates good from bad. Mouseover healers can generally heal more effectively and faster during clutch moments.
    If someone is quoting their HPS, it's pretty much guaranteed to be their EHPS. Hell, I don't think recount even shows pure HPS. I don't know why it would.

Yeah, i hate blanket statements as well. It really pisses me off. Everybody =/= one person. Everybody who plays wow does not end up killing people. Everybody who reads catcher and the rye (with the exception of butters) does not want to kill people. :/
    Well, then let us rest on our agreement that blanket statements suck.

If someone is quoting their HPS, it's pretty much guaranteed to be their EHPS. Hell, I don't think recount even shows pure HPS. I don't know why it would.

agreed. /hand shake

Btw what does the E stand for in EHPS?

agreed. /hand shake

Btw what does the E stand for in EHPS?
    Effective
    /handshake

Effective
    /handshake
    Thought so but wasn't sure. Google had been ineffective (cwatididthar? )

Yeah when people post HPS, they mean their actual HPS. If they are counting overhealing (which is in another 'menu' on recount) they will say "ZOMG I had OVER 9000 overhealing that fight!".

I don't know if it's just me being too good than the rest of you guys, but I:
    * don't use clique+grid
    * don't use healbot
    * don't use mouseover macro
    * don't even use default action bar
    * heck I don't even click my spellbook

Real heroes (like me) cast their spell by TYPING them, ie: '/cast <spell name>' (using a pair of chopsticks, mind you)
    See if you can beat my epeen that overflows with pure awesomeness !!!!!!111!!!!!oneoneoneeleven

Quote Originally Posted by tofu_soldier
    I don't know if it's just me being too good than the rest of you guys, but I:
    * don't use clique+grid
    * don't use healbot
    * don't use mouseover macro
    * don't even use default action bar
    * heck I don't even click my spellbook

Real heroes (like me) cast their spell by TYPING them, ie: '/cast <spell name>' (using a pair of chopsticks, mind you)
    See if you can beat my epeen that overflows with pure awesomeness !!!!!!111!!!!!oneoneoneeleven
    I wont lie. I laughed.

I wont lie. I laughed.
    I chuckled too.
    The guy is obviously a total noob. I mean, look at that, he must actually target people. Everyone knows REAL healers use /target [@name] spell!

I do not think he actually meant effective healing as it is usually used, like in total heal - overheal, but that overall, heals carpetbombing minor damage are not really as interesting as the one heal that saves someone from dieing, which means that you reacted just fast enough to some event that could have killed someone, thus saying that hps is not an as general meter of healing goodness as damage or dps is for a dps-player.

The healer that saved 3 people who would have otherwise died from some strange shit is probably a better healer than the one who has insane hps because he continues hotting away some damage aura. While this is still needed, there is damage of different importance to be healed.

I actually tried it, wow, love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Applepie
    your retarded.