Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Help a new pally healer!!!

Thanks everyone, I love asking people who know what they are talking about.

A couple of people have suggested sub speccing into ret.

Don't. It shows you don't have a full understanding of your class or your raid.

Sub spec into prot by 51/17/0 and use the last 3 points to your discretion. Note that the healing tree buff and improved devo do not stack.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Ok, here is another question.

I burn through mana real, real FAST. What is a good tip to keep mana in a good place other than Divine Plea?

Quote Originally Posted by The Handsome Stranger
    I burn through mana real, real FAST. What is a good tip to keep mana in a good place other than Divine Plea?
    Get a decent dose of mp5 through for example the haste/mp5 mail gear that's around. Don't think any plate haste/mp5 piece is as good as the mail ones in the same slot. Trinkets like Tears of the Vanquished, Purified Lunar Dust or Solace as trinkets (or the Algalon one if you can get that) all help considerably with mana.

Using Glyph of Seal of Wisdom (and of course Seal of Wisdom active during fights) judge at any opportunity you have. It's quite a giant net gain in mana once you hit 40k raid buffed.

Make sure there's someone in the raid giving 100% uptime Replinishment, be it a Retridin, SV hunter or Shadow Priest (didn't miss any spec, did I?).

Be in the same group as a resto shaman in the raid, so that you can benefit from their Mana Tide Totem.

Some fights simply are very healing intensive. If you got a druid around asking for Innervate might be a good idea.

Depending a bit on fight and healer composition: Don't use Holy Light unless you really have to. For lots of setups and bosses it's enough to cast FoL unless you know big stuff is coming. Just make sure to cast HLs often enough to keep Light's Grace buff up, so you can cast your HLs fast when you need them.

Judge wisdom. The slower your weapon speed the higher chance it has to proc.

Belf. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Handsome Stranger
    Ok, here is another question.

Judge as much as you can(But only to neccesity. Dont judge when you have 5k mana and the boss is almost dead and in some sort of enrage e.g. Saurfang).
    Trinkets help alot. Talisman isnt a BAAADDDD trinket, but its still BAD
    Know what spells to use, and when. For example I use FoL on Saurfang till the first mark because tank damage is very easily healable.
    Wise use of cooldowns. Id usually pop DI w/ 2 pc during hero if its early in the fight unless I need to save it for some crazy moments e.g. H BPC empowered keleseth(That crap was brutal to heal I ended up spamming my E key[Holy Light] and tunnel visioning my frames > Bad me). If you have to DP(Minimalize DP useage), use it during major lulls in healing. Do NOT use it with +Healing cooldowns, as they are also halved and your basically wasting them.
    Are you using mana pots?I tend to forget sometimes till I go full out OOM.
    Are you getting hit by avoidable mana burns?Such as H dreamwalker's void zones and frostbolts(Yes yes you have unlimited mana, but I thinking theoretically).
    Dont be ashamed to ask for innervates, but make sure you use them to full effect(aka going OOM again as the fight ends)
    I guess I'm back? Sighhhh....

For mana, I run a glyphed Seal of Wisdom, but still judge Light for the healing. That said, since you're in plate and wear a shield it's not a bad idea to know when you can just step into melee to really get the big benefit out of having SoW. Glyphing it reduces mana cost overall, but being in melee (just with white hits, nothing special apart from judging to keep your haste up) actually nets you some mana back. In non-healing-intensive fights, that can be a great helper.

If you're a belf, keep Arcane Torrent on CD. Especially when you're spamming heals, keep Divine Illumination on CD as well, but be more mindful of its use than just keeping it on CD, as with Arcane Torrent (if that applies). Also, as you know, DP at light healing times or between fights.

Gem Int. It took me a while to get this through my head, but it gives you more mana, SP, crit, helps your mana regen, and you get more from things like DP from it. For your meta requirement, pick up that prismatic gem that's +10 stats (the name of which escapes me, but it's listed in the threads linked above, which I would definitely agree you should read). Try to get gear with haste on it, you'll likely be loaded with Crit.

Because you're loaded with Crit, sub-spec into Prot, not Ret. The raid utility of Divine Sacrifice is just magical.

I'm certainly not the expert here, I'm mostly repeating what I've learned. Hope it helps even so.

10+ Year Old Account

Make sure there's someone in the raid giving 100% uptime Repleinishment, be it a Retridin, SV hunter or Shadow Priest (didn't miss any spec, did I?).
    Destruction warlocks and frost mages also provide replenishment, not that it matters much. Usually one in a raid anyway.

Because you're loaded with Crit, sub-spec into Prot, not Ret. The raid utility of Divine Sacrifice is just magical
    I have a recently dinged 80 pala myself, and only have like 26% holy crit (more on holy light from talents ofc). But rarely crit (damn rng), this is with having the ret crit talents .... :P
    So how much crit is adviced as a good, well baseline/mark whatever you want to call it.

Also would like to add that the emblem of heroism libram for holy light mana reduction is awesome for a newly dinged holy paladin, i know I atleast save tons of mana with it.