What to stock up on for Cata

I have a considerable amount of gold already from JC/Enchanting/Inscrip/Alch, and I also play the AH some. My question is what do you all think will be good to invest in and bank away before Cata. My goal is to spend a large portion of my gold on some items that will increase in price considerably 8-10 months from now when Cata is out for awhile. I'm talking about 100K+ to spend on this stuff so my money doesn't lose value. Thanks!

Re: What to stock up on for Cata

Quote Originally Posted by Treat
    I have a considerable amount of gold already from JC/Enchanting/Inscrip/Alch, and I also play the AH some. My question is what do you all think will be good to invest in and bank away before Cata. My goal is to spend a large portion of my gold on some items that will increase in price considerably 8-10 months from now when Cata is out for awhile. I'm talking about 100K+ to spend on this stuff so my money doesn't lose value. Thanks!
    Old world stuff will stay the same if not go SLIGHTLY up in price but i doubt by much considering as it is you can 1 shot everything in azeroth minus raid bosses.
    2400 EXP Multi-Boxer On Tichondrius Alliance/Horde

yeah that is what i was thinking, but was just wondering if i was missing something

Honestly, apart from the obvious low level items, I'm thinking current level herbs and ore. Considering many people will reroll to try the new races/class combos I reckon a fair few will continue and make the new alts their mains, requiring the materials for professions once again. And with everyone either rerolling or going 80-85 in Azeroth there won't be many people in Northrend, creating a demand in the market for the items of 300+

Quote Originally Posted by GodTier
    Old world stuff will stay the same if not go SLIGHTLY up in price
    My guess is the exact opposite. I think most old world stuff will go down in value. People will have 310% speed flying mounts in azeroth to farm whatever the heck they want, if anything in the old world will have a value it will be farmed.

I was thinking this actually the last few weeks.

Mechano-hogs. Since few people will actually farm the mats for it anymore seeing how no ones out in NR anymore. Price will go up (more than it already is)
    Quote Originally Posted by ara View Post
    other shaman are in a sort of relationship with the elements.
    Goblins are more like rapists...

Herbs and ore could go up slighly, but that's probably it. Ench mats will drop. There is no mongoose of this xpac that will carry over to 85.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

due to all of the new alts because of the new races and race/class combos

low lvl items will go down in price. people wwill be smart enough to gather on there own. if not they will have a crafting prof with the gathering prof that goes with it.

i would say the best thing to stock up on is gold now. GOLD think about them comercials u see on tv

The question is whether or not there will be a great deal of inflation or not, and if so how to avoid it..?

Two words: Tourney pets
    Once Cata comes out very few, if any, people will be doing the argent tournament dailies, by extension noone will be earning the champions seals to buy the touney pets, thus making them very rare, on my server they can go for between 400-600 gold each, I expect that this will dramatically increase after cata is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggler
    That's how you honor heroes... You put their statue in a corner, which people only visit to kill squirrels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks
    I see your madness and raise you a sparta.
    Quote Originally Posted by rat
    Back here in fantasy-land, pyrite is the blue goo in those barrels in the Flame Leviathan encounter, typically used for blowing shit the fuck up.
    Sooooo.
    Yeah.

mats for leveling professions as most people just wont want to waste time on gathering them on their own whilst leveling their new goblins / worgens

I'm stocking up on herbs and ore. Especially from Outland.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheCherriesLover
    mats for leveling professions as most people just wont want to waste time on gathering them on their own whilst leveling their new goblins / worgens
    I agree with this - I think that right as cataclysm hits you will see prices of all crafting mats (all levels) shoot up. This will of course fall shortly after. Another good way for gold is to level a gatherer 80-85 as cata hits, or right after. This will allow you to pick up all the mats everyone is looking for while they are in High demand, with less competition (as the expansion goes on everyone there will be alot of gatherers.)

buy snowballs , my crystal ball say they will go up in price as soon as cata hits...

tbc and wrath materials (just wait a little before the expansion hits and you'll see people dumping wrtah stuff for -50% value) are your safest bets imo since we don't really know how blizzard is going to overhaul the whole crafting system.

They can:

- leave the low lvl materials the same and let us farm new stuff for lvl80+ crafts--->vanilla mats drop in value since azeroth will be swarmed by low level goblins/worgens and high levels just passing by the farming zones.

- completely rework the crafting system leaving a gap between lvl 58mats and lvl 78mats when you come back to eastern kingdoms/kalimdor; the lore can easily explain this just saying that deathwing has messed the whole planet and new minerals emerged, animals and plants mutated and so on--->vanilla mats become useless (no recipe using them) and maybe they can add an npc to convert old mats to new mats (say an ethereal trade prince interested in rare minerals?), but you're going to lose money for the previous reason; everyone will be farming low lvl mats.

TBC and wrath content isn't likely to have any big change so people will have those couple of roadblocks on their way to powerleveling professions.

TLDR vanilla mats=risky investment since blizzard is going to mess with it

I have already noticed herbs/ore/leather prices rising now. I know many people stocking up for the new toons now, to try and "beat the AH clean-out" when everyone rerolls a new race. Keep your eyes on these items, especially the ones from Outland/Northrend.

There could be a surge for people stocking up for powerlevelling professions, but there will be no reliable means of making money from it.
    Very few vanilla or tbc items held their value since they do not have a place in wotlk crafting, therefore the same will remain.
    A handful of enchanting materials maybe, particularly if crafted into scrolls for the likes of heirloom enchants such as crusader.
    Come all the rerolls then heirloom gear will see a huge demand, and the enchants to go with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I like two of the suggestions earlier, Mechanohogs & Argent tournament quests.

Now, I think there's one more area for opportunity, items that drop from monsters that may be removed from the game, obviously no one really knows what's going to get removed from the game in old world but we could take some guesses from what blizzard has told us about the changes in various zones, and also if they are going to be removing regular Deadmines and SFK.

So, if SFK was to be removed the already spendy Shadowfang's value would be increase substantially, so if you happen to see one on your server it may be a wise investment to buy it.

STV is one of the zones they said they are going to change a lot, so the raptor pet from there might be a good investment.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by ECZO
    tbc and wrath materials (just wait a little before the expansion hits and you'll see people dumping wrtah stuff for -50% value) are your safest bets imo since we don't really know how blizzard is going to overhaul the whole crafting system.

They can:

- leave the low lvl materials the same and let us farm new stuff for lvl80+ crafts--->vanilla mats drop in value since azeroth will be swarmed by low level goblins/worgens and high levels just passing by the farming zones.

- completely rework the crafting system leaving a gap between lvl 58mats and lvl 78mats when you come back to eastern kingdoms/kalimdor; the lore can easily explain this just saying that deathwing has messed the whole planet and new minerals emerged, animals and plants mutated and so on--->vanilla mats become useless (no recipe using them) and maybe they can add an npc to convert old mats to new mats (say an ethereal trade prince interested in rare minerals?), but you're going to lose money for the previous reason; everyone will be farming low lvl mats.

TBC and wrath content isn't likely to have any big change so people will have those couple of roadblocks on their way to powerleveling professions.

TLDR vanilla mats=risky investment since blizzard is going to mess with it
    hmm i can actually see how they can justify new ores and herbs with deathwing breaking the boundarys to the elemental planes. so i doubt we will need the oldschool vannila mats again for crafting past 450 and up.

They're removing regular SFK and VC?