Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Too much hit rating!

Quote Originally Posted by tricknick76
    TL;DR: The original poster that said "exo can't miss versus undead targets" was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    i know its on the spell hit table..
    something about spell crit that roll before spell hit.. anyway
    I got yo back, dawg!!

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    I got yo back, dawg!!

well then - i stand corrected by the past 2 posts.

i do however believe that this is NOT true for every spell, and only the case for certain ones (I.e. this isn't the norm, but this stands true for exorcism).

Time to do research.

what i said was on a mage spell and it was tested to be true, so i guess that 1 sided die thing doesn't apply to paladins?
    FINALLY GOT CATACLYSM!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by tricknick76
    what i said was on a mage spell and it was tested to be true, so i guess that 1 sided die thing doesn't apply to paladins?
    probably that.. weird thing is weird
    @ Prentice if i wanted to be spell hit capped i would have the 128hit trinket equiped
    and your image dont make sense lol

15+ Year Old Account

Exorcism CAN miss on Undead targets.

Taken from WoWWiki:

[blizzquote="WoWWiki;http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_hit]Unlike the melee combat system, spell crit makes absolutely no difference to hit chance. All spells, regardless of whether they are treated as binary or not, roll hit and crit separately. Conceptually, the game rolls for your hit chance first, and if the spell hits you have a separate roll for whether it crits. [/blizzquote"]

So for the given example, you could have to "cross" two different mechanics, namely:

Did the spell hit the boss?
    Yes: Is the mob Undead?
    Yes: Spell Crit chance = 100%
    No: Spell Crit chance = chance on character sheet -3%
    No: Spell does no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    probably that.. weird thing is weird
    @ Prentice if i wanted to be spell hit capped i would have the 128hit trinket equiped
    and your image dont make sense lol
    TBH, that image had no factual background whatsoever. I did that just for kicks and to poke a little bit of fun at Nien. I have seen Exorcism miss on undead mobs and its unbelievably frustrating. That was just my concept of how it works.

Nien, you gotta get your flowchart skills together. That chart makes perfect sense.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    TBH, that image had no factual background whatsoever. I did that just for kicks and to poke a little bit of fun at Nien. I have seen Exorcism miss on undead mobs and its unbelievably frustrating. That was just my concept of how it works.

Nien, you gotta get your flowchart skills together. That chart makes perfect sense.
    I still like how Nien's character pose fits the scene

1. More hit rating will increase you hit chance with SoR, Exorcism, and Consecration (...)

2. Consecration will deal all 8 ticks(10 if glyphed) worth of damage just by having 8% hit chance.

3. (...) having 17% Spell Hit prevents mobs from being able to resist any of the damage i.e. it lowers their resist chance to 0%.

4. Hit on gear is WICKED FREAKING EXPENSIVE Item Budget wise.

5. (...) abilities must hit in order to critically hit (...)

6. Is the mob Undead? Yes: Spell Crit chance = 100%. No: Spell Crit chance = chance on character sheet -3%.
    1. SoR it's applied "automatically" if its corresponding trigger lands successfully. It doesn't roll its attack.

2. Consecration rolls its attack on each of the ticks. They're actually two effective rolls per tick : one for hit, one for partial resists (and possibly a third one, for crit - although the existence of it cannot be proved or disproved, since Consecration crit chance is artificially set to 0%).

3. Level-based partial resists are not function of (spell) hit. A level 80 player attacking a boss-level target will experience a statistical average of 6% resisted damage purely through level-based resistance (following a triangular distribution : 55% probability of 0% resists, 30% probability of 10% resists, 15% probability of 20% resists). Unlike pre-WotLK content, there are now very few NPCs that have additional spell resistance (not level-based).

4. Hit rating has the same itemization cost as any other rating (exp/def/dodge/parry/block) or primary stat (except for stamina, which has a lower cost).

5. Abilities that follow a two-roll table (disregard partial resists) will roll for hit firstly, then for crit. Abilities that follow a one-roll table (for Paladins : autoattacks and Reckoning procs) do not have a special roll for crit outcomes.

6. There is no reason to believe that spell crit suppression is formally disabled in the case of Exorcism/undead targets. It's likely that it is only "masked" : spell_crit=max(spell_crit-crit_suppression,100%).