The weirdest movie you ever enjoyed watching.

I think the topic is quite clear, but you can see I'm a regular on these forums so I'm smart enough to explain further.

Talk about any movie that's:
    1) Weird. This can be a very interesting way of filming or a totally messed up story.
    2) You enjoyed. We're not here to discuss crap, we're here to discuss good crap.

I'll start with 2 examples.
    I quite liked the movie Dogma . The story is completely ridiculous and some of the actors are really messed up, but it's a fun movie and actually surprisingly deep.
    And of course you can't talk about weird movies without mentioning Sin City. The way it's filmed and the story are extremely complex and at times hard to follow, but in the end it's an amazing story once you get into it and it's a unique movie.

Re: The weirdest movie you ever enjoyed watching.

Dogma wasn't so much weird as it was good. It managed to effectively pull off social commentary in what appeared to be, at best, a stoner comedy. This is what movies should do.

For content, go watch Being John Malkovich

15+ Year Old Account

Does The Fall count? It's got a really vivid fantasy inner story that's kind of random... but it's definitely one of my favorite movies.

Then there's Pi and The Fountain... so good.

Also, I second what det said -- Donnie Darko is so strange, and I love Pan's Labyrinth...

Memento is the first movie that came to mind when I saw the subject. That movie was crazy! The way it is portrayed in reverse, and the condition the character has (Short Term Memory Loss) is such an awesome combo. Has to be me favorite 'weird' movie. If you haven't seen it I would definitely recommend this one.

From what I have heard there is an easter egg where you can watch the movie backwards (Which would be forwards in this movies case) I haven't seen it but think it would make the movie totally different. Anyone seen this by chance?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by det
    I have to agree on this one. It's basically impossible to understand what's happening having SOME backstory information about what is happening. I used to get flashbacks and realizations about the movie weeks after watching it, "Oh right! THAT'S why they had to throw that party!".

-Primer http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/
    Also very hard to follow and I'm still not really sure what the hell happens. It's about time travel using a box... yeah.

15+ Year Old Account

Oh Primer! That movie is soooo awesome. It blows my mind, every time.

And Memento, that one was really great and scary in a "can I really trust myself?" kind of way.

The Fall and Being John Malkovich like some other people in here posted. But beating both of them in weirdness, in my opinion, is Synecdoche, New York. It was written, directed, and produced by the Charlie Kaufman, the same guy who wrote Being John Malkovich.
    I have no idea what it's even about.

Well, theres one comedy i recently watched, so it was the first one to come to mind - Tropic Thunder.

And i think we can mention almost every Tarantino's movie in this thread.
    Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, Inglourious Basterds.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab
    And i think we can mention almost every Tarantino's movie in this thread.
    Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, Inglourious Basterds.
    I have to disagree and say we can't mention any of Tarantino's movies in this thread. They don't classify as weird movies if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Panoramixe
    Talk about any movie that's:
    1) Weird. This can be a very interesting way of filming or a totally messed up story.
    I think his movies are definitely an interesting way of filming.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab
    I think his movies are definitely an interesting way of filming.
    I still don't agree that Tarantino's movies could be categorized in the similar manner as the other movies mentioned in this thread. I don't even know what "interesting way of filming" exactly means, but I don't see how Tarantino's films are "filmed interestingly". Their stories aren't fucked up or hard to understand like lets say Primer, or ludicrously twisted like Donnie Darko. Nor do they have any bizarre cinematography like Sin City or Pan's Labyrinth.

What makes Tarantino's movies "weird" or "filmed interestingly" ?

15+ Year Old Account

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/

I don't know if Dead Snow is a comedy but it sure made me and my brother laugh.

Nazi zombies after a box of gold. thar magically delicious?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by RouVix
    I still don't agree that Tarantino's movies could be categorized in the similar manner as the other movies mentioned in this thread. I don't even know what "interesting way of filming" exactly means, but I don't see how Tarantino's films are "filmed interestingly". Their stories aren't fucked up or hard to understand like lets say Primer, or ludicrously twisted like Donnie Darko. Nor do they have any bizarre cinematography like Sin City or Pan's Labyrinth.

What makes Tarantino's movies "weird" or "filmed interestingly" ?
    I don't really think they're that weird, the main thing is that they oftenly don't play out chronologically, but jump back and forth in time. I guess this could be confusing if you haven't seen any of his movies before. There's also a lot of focus on the dialogue, which I believe is different from most films produced today. The storyline is secondary to the dialogue between the characters (Pulp Fiction is a great example of this).

OT: Most films I enjoy are slightly weird. Memento, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Donnie Darko are favorites of mine.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.