Laptop Wow Specs ++ - But Runs Like Shit

Hey guys + girls,

atm im trying to work out why wow runs so badly during raids on my pc.

here is some info,

My latop was brand new in october2009 and cost just under £800 i play with the lowest settings possible, everything turned down no special features on, regarding addons i only use 13mb of addon memory. ( tried with no addons no difference noticed), yet i get insane lag in 25man raids constant lag spikes and bad performance , making it mostly unplayable :<

BUT

every site ive checked ( which is over 1000000 ) it says that my pc has above the reccomended shit needed for wow so im confused.

check this site for instance
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5...wspecsmypc.jpg

just one of the sites, but according to that and all the others i have above whats reccomended and yet it runs like shit :<,

please does anyone have any suggestions or help regarding this?

thanks

Re: Laptop Wow Specs ++ - But Runs Like Shit

Holy,

That computer does look up to the task. I don't think it'll get you 60 FPS in raids (hardly anyone does), but it should be able to run the game reasonably.

Couple of questions:

What is your ping like? If it is over 300-400, the problem could be caused by your outgoing Internet connection.

Are you playing on a wireless Internet connection? If so, what is your connection speed and what band is it on (B, G, N?)

Cheers for your reply,

i did an online speed test here are the results:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/765448641.png

and yes its a wireless connection

I don't like doing this usually, but read this.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/computer/low-fps-check-here!/

It'll tell you what to tweak for some extra FPS.

Also that spec barely passes the minimum, which I doubt is the minimum required for 25 man raids. It's more like minimum for 5 mans and single questing, not 24 other people's spell and gear and such. Also, laptop components don't perform as well as desktop hardware due to the need for them to sip light on power.

Cheers for you reply mate its appreciated,

but i need to say that FPS isnt my problems in 25man raids, its the constant lag spikes and delays and freezes. when it does run smoothly ( about 3 seconds every 20,, im on 20ish fps with smooth gameplay but its the unplayable parts im trying to fix

thanks

If it only happens in 25ms, then it could very well be your processor just can't process that much info from the combat logs and addons and such. Try the sticky and see if it helps any.

That and if you have a virus scan program, try disabling its auto scan feature when you run and try to disable any background things you're not running. I know it's not much of a problem now with the more powerful CPUs, but that used to be pretty common practice back a few years back :P

15+ Year Old Account

Are you using Windows to manage your wireless connection or a third party program? If you're using Windows, it uses a service called Wireless Zero Config (or WLAN AutoConfig in Vista/7) that looks for a stronger connection once per minute. This will cause lag spikes. So get a third party software for your network connection (usually can get one from your NIC manufacturer) and disabled Wireless Zero Config (or WLAN AutoConfig on Vista/7).

Holy,

If you're on wireless, I'd give this program a try, it's called WLAN optimizer. It's a freeware program that helps deal with some of the things that can cause issues playing on wireless.

http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/

You'll have to play around with the settings though, some of them will help more on different connections.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Conxion528
    Holy,

If you're on wireless, I'd give this program a try, it's called WLAN optimizer. It's a freeware program that helps deal with some of the things that can cause issues playing on wireless.

http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/

You'll have to play around with the settings though, some of them will help more on different connections.
    If you use WLAN Optimizer, the most important setting is "Disable Background Scan". This will stop the WZC service from searching for a better connection.

10+ Year Old Account

Hmm. You're saying you're having occasional lag and freezing but that fps isn't the issue, and I see people drawing the conclusion it got to do with your connection. Yet you presented your case with a lot of talk about hardware, so what I would want to know is if "constant lag spikes, delays and freezes is all things that have to do with your latency, or does your whole screen freeze up occasionally, as in does your fps drop?

Is your fps dropping aswell during these spikes I'd say that hardware is your issue, not necessarily the connection. Laptops can in general have issues with wow 25 man raids, and your CPU places itself pretty low on benchmark tests. I can say I have had a mobile processor better than that, that couldn't handle 25 man raiding so well (fps being fine but then occasionally it would drop to almost nothing and you just pray to god that Anub won't pursuit you this time )

What all the previous posters have overlooked is the fact that you have an onboard graphics card. That means that 25 mans are pretty much completely out of the question. If you are lucky you may be able to do 10 mans, but expect to have a lot of lag spikes caused by low fps.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    What all the previous posters have overlooked is the fact that you have an onboard graphics card. That means that 25 mans are pretty much completely out of the question. If you are lucky you may be able to do 10 mans, but expect to have a lot of lag spikes caused by low fps.
    This. Despite that website saying you meet or exceed recommended specs for your video card, you don't.
    Integrated video cards do NOT meet recommended requirements.

Might wanna look at this chart:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,2544-7.html
    US Blizz Tech Support MVP
    Ressie - Medivh-US

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    Good catch. I saw "Radeon HD 3200" and assumed it was a stand-alone. I guess that's what you get for assuming.

Also, OP, I just noticed the graph at the top of your image. It shows your laptop at just over minimum spec. Minimum spec is essentially the ability to solo or group quest. It requires well over minimum spec to attend 25-man raids with any decent framerate.