Ret Paladins and Shields

I use shields as Ret in specific situations, such as Marrowgars bonestorm.

It reduces physical damage by about 10% and gives you almost 10% avoidance.

I also use one in many situations where a loose add needs to be tanked until the real tank can grab it.

This macro helps me quickly do that:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /equip Rimefang's Claw
    /equip Splintered Door of the Citadel
    /cast Righteous Fury
    This macro helps me quickly cancel Righteous Fury and equip 2 hander:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Repentance
    /equip oxheart
    /cancelaura Righteous Fury
    You don't need a target selected so it wont actually use repentance when pressing this macro.

When do you equip a shield as ret?
    80 Warrior | 80 Death Knight | 80 Paladin | 80 Rogue | 80 Shaman | 73 Priest | 70 Hunter | 67 Druid | 64 Mage
    Kingslayer | Starcaller | Astral Walker | Duelist

Re: Ret Paladins and Shields

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow_Sorrow
    Not this shift again ~_~
    What are you talking about sir?
    80 Warrior | 80 Death Knight | 80 Paladin | 80 Rogue | 80 Shaman | 73 Priest | 70 Hunter | 67 Druid | 64 Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Yoat
    When do you equip a shield as ret?
    right before I change to Prot spec

Maybe you should stop creating this thread all over again, sis?
    Get your facts straight before making false accusations. Check my history I have never posted this topic.

not on this account , but you did it. When i'm home from the duty i will surely bring evidence on the matter.
    For you to even attempt to dig up such evidence opens a valid question to your time management.

What is the point of this discussion?

If you need the extra mitigation your doing something wrong, spend your time healing / killing spikes in his bone storm
    If hyperbole were food the internet would never go hungry...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

If you're equipping a sword and board you're:

Not doing as much damage as you could to your bone spiked raid members during bone storm
    OR
    Not doing it on hard mode therefore bone storm damage is a joke and you don't know where your sacred shield button is

Are you the same pally in the raid that puts up fire resist aura on Marrowgar?

In pve the only time to put on a shield is if your raid turns to shit and you need to taunt boss and shieldwall.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    In pve the only time to put on a shield is if your raid turns to shit and you need to taunt boss and shieldwall.
    You can just immunity bubble and taunt the boss, too.

I only throw a shield on when I Ret-Tank heroics... RF + Divine Spam = CRAP load of damage.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Yoat
    For you to even attempt to dig up such evidence opens a valid question to your time management.
    This is what we call "Ad Hominem." Quite prevalent on the interweb. Most often used when a person is backed into a corner during an argument and they are basically proven wrong, they then attack the person and not the issue to change the subject. Also losing credibility in the process.

Argumentation and Debate class is over now. Class dismissed.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

If you kill it fast enough you won't come to a situation in which you would EVER need a shield. That being said you should never come to need a shield anyways. Marrowgar is cake. So even during bonestorm you shouldn't need to switch weapons. I didn't even have to when I first did Marrowgar25 with 5k gs. And judging by the suggestion that you have Oxheart, your gear should be worlds better then when I first did it. So once again, you should never have to do it.

And on the note of loose adds, thats what the second tank is for. Its still not your job to pick up the add. So don't do it. What if your picking it up leads to losing aggro/getting hurt way more considering your not geared as a tank? Then the add probably hops to some fragile clothy or to the healer, or in the case of getting hurt more, you waste the healers mana that shoulda been going to the tank. One could argue that it might just go for a fragile clothy/healer anyways, but thats where we rely on the extra tanks to pick it up. Everything works out when everyone does their own respective job. So in reality you should never need to do that either. If you continue to hold on to this idea, it either says your raiding with bad tanks (by that I mean ones who ignore adds completely even if that is their job), or your arguing to change the circumstances in your favor despite how completely unrealistic they are.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...s-and-shields/

here ya go.

/requesting thread-lock.
    Damn OP you got caught. XD

Click sig for armory!

wow yeah, way to have pretty much the same sig on your accounts, nice work.

also, if you really feel the need to put on a shield on bone storm, how about a holy shield/weapon and help your healers out a bit? seems that would be more useful than prot gear.

15+ Year Old Account

Can't ban/lock/view profiles on my low-tech non-browsing phone.

However, the following applies to all members: Ban evasion is NOT tolerated. You WILL get caught eventually, and you WILL be punished for doing so.