what is your opener for prot?

Almost at 80 and I have been leveling mostly runnin dungeons as prot so my ? Is when I open its usually

Avengers shield - consecrate-holy shield-judgement of light(or wisdom for trash with a decent heals) hammer of rightousness- bangin divine plea as it comes off cd.. also holy wrath I use on undead stuff but use as filler when nothin else is up.

Also using wisdom as my seal and sanctuary as my self buffs for trash and switching for bosses to seal of light or corruption depending on the healer.

Is there really a priority list to be more efficient I have no aggro issues and am just trying to perfect pally tanking before I hit 80.

Also I will throw hand of salv and hop on occasion but haven't situationally encountered much yet for them.

Re: what is your opener for prot?

If stationary I'll open with an exorcism-hand of reckoning-avengers shield combo. If moving I'll just remove exorcism for that. Then I'll judge, shield slam, consecrate, hammer and holy shield. There isn't a real priority list as you'll ideally just want to have one ability off of cooldown at any one time. For opening though, burst is what you want from abilities like hammer of the righteous and shield of righteousness.

if its a four pull then i taunt the one on one side of the pack then target the farthest on the other side then avenger's shield, HoR, consecrate, shield of the righteous then holy shield. then i go into the 969 rotation.

if its a 5 pull then after the shield i target the one that wasn't hit by anything and judge them.
    Devils used to be gods, angels that fell from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by M_10
    I once said "brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]." That group was probably confused.

Quote Originally Posted by InbredPsychosis
    If stationary I'll open with an exorcism-hand of reckoning-avengers shield combo. If moving I'll just remove exorcism for that. Then I'll judge, shield slam, consecrate, hammer and holy shield. There isn't a real priority list as you'll ideally just want to have one ability off of cooldown at any one time. For opening though, burst is what you want from abilities like hammer of the righteous and shield of righteousness.
    I pretty much follow this for stationary bosses, but I judge and then shield of righteousness as I close in.

Hmm never really use reckoning unless someone pulls off me and never thought about opening with exorcism. Also there are a few more talents till 80 currently 75 just tryin to feel out if I'm missing something since there are way too many baddie tanks in wow these days, and hopefully I don't become one of em!! But yeah I guess I'll start workin hor into the mix and what is a 969 rotation since I'm still noobish as a protadin, well paladin for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole
    what is a 969 rotation since I'm still noobish as a protadin, well paladin for that matter.
    something that is so ungodly easy :P

basically you weave your abilities into a perfect rotation. you'll have only 1 ability that you can use every global cooldown. you treat all your 8 second cooldown abilities (Holy Shield, Consecrate, Judgment) as 9 second cooldowns put HoR and Shield of the Righteous inbetween them.

it would look something like this

Pull > Judgement > HoR > Cons > ShoR > HS > HoR > Judgement > ShoR > Cons > HoR > HS ect....

its really easy to maintain. if you need to do something else (like taunt, refresh SS, Bubble someone, Use a CD) then you can either replace whatever ability you were gonna use, and go to the next, or pick it up where you left off.

the nice thing about this is that if done right, you'll only have 1 of the 5 main abilities off CD at any given time. go to a target dummy and try it some time, it might take a bit to get used to it, but once you do, it will make using your abilities second nature, so you can focus on whats going on around you more.

and as for not using Hand of Reckoning much... it does do decent damage if you use it to pull (helps to get threat if you pull with the taunt), and you have righteous defense in case someone pulls aggro early before the CD is up. (it also helps to have a macro for RD to use it on the target's target so you just have to target the mob, not the player who pulled) but to each their own.

I once said "brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]." That group was probably confused.

Yeah I'll try that thanks and I need a macro for rightous defense I will look that up when I get home. Thanks!!!

No need for macro for righteous defence.

It's working on both players and mobs now by default. If you target player, mobs that attack him will be taunted. If you target mob, it works as if you were targeting player that's aggroing the mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Adeleina

It's working on both players and mobs now by default. If you target player, mobs that attack him will be taunted. If you target mob, it works as if you were targeting player that's aggroing the mob.
    O.o really? thats handy, had the macro since tbc and never changed it, so i never noticed. thats cool

and np blackhole

Quote Originally Posted by Adeleina

It´s handy to have it in a macro so you can mouseover-taunt from people on Grid/partyframes
    when you see someone getting aggro somewhere (mostly handy in raids where the packs
    can be bigger than just 3-4 mobs, or bosses where mobs keep spawning).

http://www.wowwiki.com/Useful_macros_for_paladins
    my fav site to find stuff for macros, and things of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotnobubble
    basically you weave your abilities into a perfect rotation. you'll have only 1 ability that you can use every global cooldown. you treat all your 8 second cooldown abilities (Holy Shield, Consecrate, Judgment) as 9 second cooldowns put HoR and Shield of the Righteous inbetween them.
    You should only put one point in Imp Judgements so the cooldown IS actually 9 seconds. While Holy Shield has a 8 second cd, the buff lasts for 10 seconds. If you refresh it on nine, it means that you are able to maintain 100% uptime.

OT: I like to use Judgement First on ST then SotR, because I have the Libram that increases block value so it means more opening threat. AE I use Consecrate -> Hammer -> Holy Shield.

I use two different ways to set up the 969 rotation depending on which kind of threat I need (not including ranged openers). For aoe I start Hammer -> Consecrate -> Shield, for burst threat I do Shield -> Judge -> Hammer. In both cases I try to put HS up before the pull.

For maximizing threat on a 969 rotation, I tend to think of it as your 6 second cooldowns vs. everything else. As long as you do either Shield or Hammer every other cooldown, you can fill in the rest with whatever's needed most. If you need to cast something other than a rotation skill like sacred shield or plea, or if HoJ is up then I'll throw those in instead of a consecrate or a holy shield (for heroics, that is, I try to keep 100% uptime on HS on raid bosses)

Nothing can shake my believe that this world is the fruit of a dark god whose shadow I extend -- Emil Cioran

Quote Originally Posted by Arithirn
    You should only put one point in Imp Judgements so the cooldown IS actually 9 seconds. While Holy Shield has a 8 second cd, the buff lasts for 10 seconds. If you refresh it on nine, it means that you are able to maintain 100% uptime.
    not like the extra point can go anywhere extremely useful, but yes you are correct, you only need 1 point in it to use this rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Arithirn

OT: I like to use Judgement First on ST then SotR, because I have the Libram that increases block value so it means more opening threat. AE I use Consecrate -> Hammer -> Holy Shield.
    /facepalm

Again with the 'one and only one point in imp judge' crap.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole
    Almost at 80 and I have been leveling mostly runnin dungeons as prot so my ? Is when I open its usually

Avengers shield - consecrate-holy shield-judgement of light(or wisdom for trash with a decent heals) hammer of rightousness- bangin divine plea as it comes off cd.. also holy wrath I use on undead stuff but use as filler when nothin else is up.

Also using wisdom as my seal and sanctuary as my self buffs for trash and switching for bosses to seal of light or corruption depending on the healer.

Is there really a priority list to be more efficient I have no aggro issues and am just trying to perfect pally tanking before I hit 80.

Also I will throw hand of salv and hop on occasion but haven't situationally encountered much yet for them.
    I am by no means someone writing the pala "how to" forum pages, however this is what i do, and i do very well with it.

Im guessing your looking for info on heroics (well dungeon's) at this stage

First up.... retribution aura, force of habit from TBC, but i never tank without it, every hit will give you a bit of aggro and just helps em stick to you like glue (those wanting to find fault, we are talking heroics here not raid boss's)

For a seal i use vengeance with judgement of light. You dont need (or should not need) to recover mana or health from judges, to say its the healers problem is arrogant but remember tanking is not just about building aggro, you have defensive CD's for a reason so learn to use them

To open - Avengers shield, but most of the time your next pull it will be on CD, so a couple of pulls would look a little like...

first group
    (a) avengers shield
    (b) hammer of righteous
    (c) shield of righteous on the most likely nuked target (caster or skull)
    (d) consecration
    (e) target tab - judge / shield slam / hammer off CD
    second group
    (a) hand of reckoning (early aggro, but also to pull the group together)
    (b) hammer of righteous
    (C) shield of righteous
    (d) holy wrath
    (e) consecration
    (f) another hammer, then target tab judge / shield slam / hammer off CD

The only advise i can give, within a couple of hits your main target will be stuck to you like glue, target tab attack the rest of the pack and make sure your building aggro on the others as trust me the dps will not hold back on their AOE attacks

Also a couple of add-ons i have found priceless

(a) grid
    (b) clique - i use this for my healer, but also priceless for pala tanking.

Grid will show you who has aggro, clique will allow you to 1 click taunt (righteous defence) off the grid, but i also have a selection of other abilities set on it like hand of salv, prot and freedom.

Hope this is some help

Beelz

In raids I start like this:

- Avenging Wrath
    - Exorcism (only use it once, during the pull)
    - Avenger's Shield
    - Holy Shield
    - Shield of the Righteousness
    - Judgement of Light
    - Hammer of the Righteous
    - Consecration

and after that just the usual protectiondin rotation.

For trash pulls I most of the time start with taunt or hammer of the righteous. I don't use avenger's shield much for the pull except when it are spellcasters. Because it is anoying when you pull a big group, that some mobs are falling behind cause they are slow.

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes first.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Beelz
    For a seal i use vengeance with judgement of righteousness.
    Judgement of Righteousness is not an actual judgement, it's the spell when you use Judgement of Light, Wisdom or Justice with Seal of Righteousness up. If you're using Seal of Vengeance, you're not getting Judgement of Righteousness.

If you meant Justice, that's completely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan
    Judgement of Righteousness is not an actual judgement, it's the spell when you use Judgement of Light, Wisdom or Justice with Seal of Righteousness up. If you're using Seal of Vengeance, you're not getting Judgement of Righteousness.

If you meant Justice, that's completely stupid.
    Fixed, typed early from work.

With 2pc T10
    HoR > AS > HotR > JoW > ShoR > Cons

Without 2pc T10
    HoR > AS > ShoR > JoW > HotR > Cons

why are none of you using Holy shiled BEFORE you pull? thats like poping divine plea after you pull.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin