Page 1 of 2
LastLast

forteXorcist Questions - Warlock PoV

I've got a few questions about ForteXorcist, and I'm hoping that some of you can help me.

I used to use DoTimer to track my DoTs and CDs, but it seems that it doesn't get updated as often as it used to, and has several annoying bugs in it (example: I tell it to show my target only and that usually works, but a lot of the time in ICC when i'm tab spamming seed I end up with 20 timers). I ended up adding Power Auras to my UI to track procs like Decimation, Eradication, Molten Core, and the Glyph of Lifetap. When I figured out how to use Power Auras to also track my DoTs/CDs i liked it, and stopped using DoTimer.

Then I switched over yo my druid, an had to spend an hour configuring Power Auras for my Tanking Feral spec. Then I switched to my priest, and had to setup Power Auras for that. Then I went Feral DPS for a VoA... and had no Power Auras setup for that... etc etc. Power Auras is awesome, but for a person like me who has four toons and plays all of the specs of all of my toons... its very annoying.

I'm looking for a CD/DoT/Debuff/Proc timer, and several people pointed me to ForteXorcist. I installed it, logged into my warlock... and I don't even know where to start...

I hit a target dummy as affliction, applied all of my DoTs. The "bar" (more like a giant rectangle after all of the bars appeared) showed me so much data that I don't know how someone could effectively use the addon. Here's an example of what it showed me during a very short test. The way the bar looks is:

DoTs
    <small space>
    Cooldowns
    <small space>
    Procs

So after a very short (like one minute) test, my screen says that following:

Corruption
    Haunt
    Curse of Agony
    Unstable Affliction

Haunt
    Shadow Bite
    Lightweave Embroidery
    Frostforged Sage

Illustration of the Dragon Soul
    Cultivated Power
    Eradication
    Fel Armor
    Spellstone
    Fel Intelligence
    Frostforged Safe
    Lightweave Embroidery
    Devious Minds

Alright, I'm a pretty good player (8/12 heroic ICC) and I'm very attentive to my UI. I don't see how seeing all of that information in that manner is the least bit useful though, especially since things are disappearing and reappearing all of the time which changed the placement of the things that I'm trying to track. Example: I lose Eradication and everything drops down one (or goes up one if I invert it), which makes keeping an eye out for the things I care about even harder.

So here are my questions:

1. I'd love an all in one package for tracking DoTs/CDs/Procs, and it appears that this is supposed to do just that. Is there a way to "break up" the three sections of the timer bar? If I could put DoTs in one place, Procs in another, and CDs in another (I'd probably keep CDs with the DoTs) then the bar wouldn't end up "moving" around so much as I gained and lost procs/DoTs/CDs.

2. Is there a way to block certain Procs/Buffs? I really don't need to see some of them... like the internal cooldown of my Ashen Verdict ring or Lightweave Embroidery, or the Illustration of the Dragon Soul / Muradin's Spyglass buffs. Hell, I'd like to hide CDs until they are getting close too, things like Fel armor... yeah I'd like to know if its going to run out mid fight (I usually reapply it before every fight, but everyone forgets from time to time). But I don't need to sitter there telling me that there is 28:44 left on it.

3. Is there a way to remove the "bars" and just have an icon and timer? That's how I had DoTimer setup, a horizontal line of icons with a timer right below each one to tell me how much time is left on that DoT/Cooldown. I found that when I set the bar length to "0" in Forte, it would hang WoW everytime a DoT fell off (wicked annoying). I also couldn't find a way to make it grow horizontally, so it might not even matter.

I guess that's all the questions I have to this point...
    Here is a picture of my current UI:
    http://s991.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

That is using Power Auras as Demonology to Track the Glyph of Lifetap, Molten Core, Corruption, Immolate, and whatever curse I am using at the time. I'm a stickler for efficiency in my UI. After installing AddonProfiler to track the CPU time, memory usage, the junk data spit out from my addons, I found that Power Auras is spewing out 10MBs of data every 5 minutes that is just junk, and it is using more CPU time than any of my other addons... which i find surprising since its not doing nearly as much as some of my other addons are.

That's why I'm looking to replace it. I've been told Forte is the way to go. But in terms of usability, and "at a glance data"... I just don't see Forte as working out for me. Just a tiny bit of attention to my Power Auras setup shows me my DoTs, and what Procs I have. I don't have to look around for the data, or even think about it. However the addon seems to be very inefficient, and is annoying to resetup and disable some auras, reenable others, write new ones, etc everytime I change toons/specs.

Any help is appreciated, even if its as simple as "Yeah, Forte will never give you the data you are looking for at a glance". If you have any suggestions as to other addons I could use, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

DeathKoil

Field Marshal

Re: forteXorcist Questions - Warlock PoV

Yes, and it is very easy.

Go into the settings (/fortexorcist) and look under spell timers (section with orange headers). One of the sections with have checkboxes for different kinds of things to display of not (buffs on others, your DoTs, your powerup buffs, etc). If you want to completely exclude any of these categories, you can simply uncheck them, and that will work. If you want to display some of them under a category but not all (ie you want to see when you have the T10 4piece bonus, but not the stacking of muradin's spyglass), there is a custom section at the bottom of the checkboxes. This lets you type in the name of a specific buff (cultivated power for muradin's spyglass, surging power for dislodged foreign object) and select whether to show it or not in the dropdown box to the right of where you type it in. Using this custom feature, you can do a black or white list by disabling a section of things to show, but adding whatever custom things you do want to show, or you can enable a section but exclude certain things.

Extremely useful if you use power auras to manage your life tap/molten core/decimation/etc., but want fortexorcist for timing your DoTs and some other things.

Ok, so...
    1. I use Power Auras for buffs and Quartz for DOT's. Give it a try!
    2. Go to Spell Timer, look for a Customize, enter the name of the buff you want/don't want to track and choose from there(click on the show/color/none etc list)
    3. As far as i know no! Use Power Auras for that. You already have Quartz installed... I've been looking for a replacement to Quartz but i'm pretty happy with the recent update(show Drain Soul ticks)
    4. using addons to track how much CPU your addons eat up will only make them... eat more Stop using AddonProfiler and stuff like that.
    U run a pretty clean UI. Maybe you'll like TukUI.(i'm sitting at 5mb idle and ~20 in raids) http://tukui.org/home/ - give it a try.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

You only need to pay attention to the top and bottom. I personally turn off cooldowns.

Top tracks your dots, durations, and channeled spells.
    Bottom tracks your buffs and trinket procs.

When theres a lot on the bottom, pop a potion or meta. When theres a lot on top, filler time. I color code my dots so that I can count them faster (if they all blur together its hard to distinguish).

Answers inline:
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathKoil
    1. I'd love an all in one package for tracking DoTs/CDs/Procs, and it appears that this is supposed to do just that. Is there a way to "break up" the three sections of the timer bar? If I could put DoTs in one place, Procs in another, and CDs in another (I'd probably keep CDs with the DoTs) then the bar wouldn't end up "moving" around so much as I gained and lost procs/DoTs/CDs. No, this is a feature that is planned but not yet done. What you can do is turn off the Proc section and use another addon like Procodile or NeedToKnow in conjunction.

2. Is there a way to block certain Procs/Buffs? I really don't need to see some of them... like the internal cooldown of my Ashen Verdict ring or Lightweave Embroidery, or the Illustration of the Dragon Soul / Muradin's Spyglass buffs. Hell, I'd like to hide CDs until they are getting close too, things like Fel armor... yeah I'd like to know if its going to run out mid fight (I usually reapply it before every fight, but everyone forgets from time to time). But I don't need to sitter there telling me that there is 28:44 left on it. Yes, the guy above me answered that very well. I use this section to change Corruption to Purple, UA to Red, CoA to green, Drain Soul to Blue, etc

3. Is there a way to remove the "bars" and just have an icon and timer? That's how I had DoTimer setup, a horizontal line of icons with a timer right below each one to tell me how much time is left on that DoT/Cooldown. I found that when I set the bar length to "0" in Forte, it would hang WoW everytime a DoT fell off (wicked annoying). I also couldn't find a way to make it grow horizontally, so it might not even matter. There probably is a way, but you lose two important features of Forte by doing so: first, tick marks. Forte will show on the bar (accounting for haste) when your next tick is going to be. This is extremely important for Affliction Drain Soul execute. Second, cast time overlays. Forte will show on the bar how long it will take you to cast the next spell, thus when this section of the bar hits the end you can recast successfully without clipping due to a haste buff or something. I regularly got Eradication right before I had to refresh UA, and clipped the last tick - this feature fixes that.

R.I.P. YARG

I roll with Dotimer, and this was updated very recently. The original author took a break from Wow (he's now back). In the meantime there was someone doing a bug fixes version (ie no new features, but got the old features working with each patch). I recently installed Quartz as well, but don't like the dot timing section of it (need to work out how to switch it off). The version on Wowinterface is the latest, I believe.

The Seed Of Corruption thing doesn't matter a jot. If you're Seeding in ICC, the other aoe going off will trigger the current Seed befpre you've finished casting the next. If you're Seeding in a Heroic, it'll probably be triggered, and you should be cycling targets anyway. If you're Seeding in solo play you should definitely be cycling and the Seeds will likely go off at the same time in batches of 3 or 4. Block the timer for Seed Of Corruption, it really isn't needed.

I have Life Tap's glyph buff tracked by a Self Buff timer (the only thing that comes up in Self Buffs). All others (including Shadow Mastery) are measured as regular Dots, with the "spell has dropped" blue bar lasting 10 seconds instead of the default so I can tell that CoA has fallen off, but it can wait until Haunt and Corruption are back up as they've also fallen off, for example. After reading the Powerauras thread, I'm gonna set up a PA for Fel Armor being off and for Boss Health being at 25% when I get back home.

I had rogue power bars installed for my rogue and decided to tinker with it. I now use it to show specific buffs (life tap, meta, decimation) and it has worked really well. It's completely customizable and very easy to use. The only pain is you have to uncheck all the melee-friendly buffs/debuffs you don't want to see.

Nice UI btw - what addons are you running? I need to clean up my UI.. looks like fail Tetris.

edit: ok I recognize recount, chatter, dbm, grid so far
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehlkatur
    I have died some times for just blinking away from* balls and straight in to another pair of balls.
    Nerf teabagging!

Anyone wondering why it took me so long to put my nose into something regarding Forte?
    FORTE SUXS DONKEYBALLS

On a more nonrage spree I would recommend Quartz, just like Power Auras its vastly considered one of the most usefull and established addons and its perfectly suited as a dottracker as well.
    Will post a picture of my addon directory, not all are used for my warlock in case you wonder why there are healingcrap, gatherer etc.
    [img width=200]http://i39.tinypic.com/ndai5g.jpg[/img]

As you can see I use only 3 addons to directly handle how I dps. Power Auras, Quartz and Cooldownbuttons. That should give a hint of how extremly versatile and powerfull most of all PA & Quartz are. Those two addons can do the same work as what other people maybe use 5-6 addons to do.
    The best thing about Kremlin posters is that as soon as you voice something they have to mention the US.
    Their awe and love for the US is truly great and I commend them for their love of their fellow men.

I swear by Fortexorcist, it's the only one of two timers I know of where the bars of different buffs/cooldowns/dots are on the SAME timescale. The other one being EventHorizon, which looks simpler out of the box but is ironically even harder to configure. Plus it shows you the cast time for each spell so you can have an almost 100% uptime on it. It makes playing a warlock easy mode as much as I hate to admit it.

However, you really need to take some time to set it up to your needs. I probably am showing only 20% of what it showed right out of the box cause everything else was just clutter to me. Unfortunately I can't help you much with setting it up since it's been so long and I can barely remember myself how to do it. What I'm trying to say I guess is, don't give up, don't get intimidated by the config, in the end it will probably be worth it.

Here's what it looks like:

You can color code the spells, but there's so few I didn't feel the need to. The red bar is the Haunt cooldown.
    The "trail" before the UA tick is the current cast time, it gets shortened/lengthened based on your haste and any buffs/debuffs like speed pots, bloodlust, curse of tongues etc. Start casting right when it "clips" the end and it will be applied almost immediately after it falls off.
    The "trail" after Corruption is the gcd, not that important really, but I can't figure out how to turn it off for only one spell. As you can see, ticks are displayed for every dot (you would see them for UA too if the running time was longer and for drain soul if I had been casting it at the time)
    But most important to me, like I mentioned earlier, is that everything is on the SAME timescale. This really really comes in handy at execute phase with drain soul. I've also made the timer "cutoff" at 20 second or so for everything, so the marker on stuff that has more than 20 seconds remaining, like life tap or CoE on the screenshot will not be moving until then.

Uhm, why do they need another color, Icon is a picture, fast enough to understand. Timescale is important as you say to get an overview

Quartz

Not as visual stunning but a hell of a lot easier to get an overview of. Ticks, who need to know them? We dont clip our dots do we?
    Drain Soul need a tick, only reason I dont use it in quartz (which it can) is that I prefer DrainSoulTimer addon cos it play a sound so I can focus on the fight instead of watching Dran Soul visually in some addon.

Btw a little tip, longterm debuffs/buffs like Curse of Elements, Lightweave, Lifetap etc (example from above) should never be on a timer. It only make you compute more info cos u tend to check dottimers ALOT Longterm debuffs/buffs should always be icon based, for example Power Auras trigger. The dotbar should have a minimum ammount of info. The more frequent you need to watch something - the less info it should contain.
    Protip *G* but well to be serious, its true

http://www.mmo-champion.com/interface-macros/ghadamon's-power-auras-guide/ check the LifeTap trigger for how you can make it easier and faster for yourself.

Whatever it's about the worst -> best scale on how your mind collect info is:
    Text -> Bar -> Icon
    The best thing about Kremlin posters is that as soon as you voice something they have to mention the US.
    Their awe and love for the US is truly great and I commend them for their love of their fellow men.

I am finding myself after being a very long time user of forte to be using NeedToKnow a lot more.
    It offers the forte like bars almost, pretty much short of only the ticks indicator but does require each one to be created manually.
    That is not a bad thing though since as you said you got overloaded by all the bars created by default in forte.
    It is far easier to set up once you understand the basics.
    Really just the ticks, and the sorting by remaining duration that I miss from forte, but doing without the sorting at least should force me into being more aware which I can only see as a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

First off, thank you for all of the replies.

I looked into Forte some more last night after reading your posts, a few guides, and watching a few youtube videos. I've come to the conclusion that Forte just isn't for me. The amount of configuration I would need to do it make the addon "easily usable and informative at a glance" is far more than I am willing to do when I already have to do an equal amount of work to get Power Auras to do the same thing. Power Auras on the other hand is fully customizable, shows me only the data I want it to show, and gives it to me in a much more concise format that doesn't take my eyes away from what is going on in the fight.

Even with all of the configuration needed, Forte would never be as easy to see, read, and would still have a lot of annoyances over what Power Auras can do. I like my eyes to be on the fight, not on my timers. Power Auras seems to be superior in every way to what Forte can do, and in addition is much easier to "get data from" (Example: I know when I get a large green circle around my toon, its Decimation, instead of having to look over at a buff bar that is growing and shrinking constantly to figure out if I have Decimation since the icon and timer for it would be in a different spot everytime I looked since the timer bars get organized by time remaining).

Someone above asked what addons I am using... I'll get a screen shot of my addons folder up. If you'd like to see it in action, I have a video up on Youtube of a FireFighter 10Man kill my guild did for fun. If you watch it, just make sure you watch it at 720p or 1080p because the default youtube res for my video kinda make it look like crap.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBa55MmaH3Y

I'm still open to addon suggestions from people as well.

TellMeWhen is nice, and I used to use it until I discovered Power Auras, which can do all of the same things and more.

DeathKoil

No comment on Quartz that some of us mentioned? :-* It will however look like complete greek the first time you open the config but once you get the hang of it its lovely.

Well, you can't force someone to use Quartz if he doesn't like it. I know people that don't want to use Power Auras...
    Warlocks are hard.

Force and force.., he asked for advices and some ppl mentioned it and he has not tried it yet so was wondering about his thoughts on that since he didnt mention it in his last reply
    Wondering if he missed it by chance

An image is worth a thousand words

Quartz to track your dots, Power Auras to track your buffs. Easy to check, easier to track.
    Regarding Quartz... the dot closest to your castbar is the next go to out, the first that needs to be refreshed. It's very easy to tell what you need to refresh first and when.
    You can setup Quartz how you'd like, make the dot's bars larger, smaller, move them etc. As far as i know you can't make every spell a different colour but i think it's better this way.

That's my current PA setup for Affliction. The buffs above my player frame come up if they're not there If i'm missing Fel Armor or flask it will show up there.
    I'm currently toying with the idea to make PA do what you'd like Forte to do. Just an icon with a timer for my dots.
    But i find it takes more time to check how much time UA has on the target using PA than it takes using Quartz.
    I'm still trying to see if it works for me or not, that's why they're both up there. 99% i'll stick with Quartz's way to handle dots. It's way better for me.
    If you have any questions... go ahead! I found Forte very useful when i was but a fresh 80 warlock trying to make my way around impressing numbers and the multitude of spells on my bars.
    It had an easier way to handle soul shards, an almost perfect cooldown timer, a rather awkward spell timer, but usefull nonetheless. Right now i'd like to think i've moved past.
    I, for one, don't need anything else besides these two add-ons to keep track of my "dps". But you need to find something that works for you.
    It's way more important to have things the way you're used to, the way you're comfortable with, the way you like them to be!
    Warlocks are hard.

NeedToKnow, besides the stacking of the bars, and the sorting is much like quartz but with more options.
    I am currently trying out alternatives to quartz as far as castbars go, so for me at least is not an option for the timers.
    Personally I am finding bars easier to gauge than timers, hence not using powerauras for those, but I will soon intend to redo a lot of my UI, so might give them a proper go and see how I get on, with at the very least setting up proper ones like buffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Patient

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis
    Anyone wondering why it took me so long to put my nose into something regarding Forte?
    FORTE SUXS DONKEYBALLS
    I would expect someone with a million posts on this forum to be a little more constructive. I personally think ForteXorcist is awesome and does exactly what I want in a spelltimer addon. Not only for my warlock, but also for any other class I play. But somehow you seem to expect that a screenshot of you addon folder and in a next post a screenshot of your Quartz timers (which not only is less functional then the FX screen posted above but also looks like crap) convinces people to change addons?

FORTE SUXS DONKEYBALLS
    Ok, cool story bro, but why?

lol. Bakis is being as constructive as he knows how on the subject of Forte. Please don't encourage him to elaborate :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ravemstr
    I found Forte very useful when i was but a fresh 80 warlock trying to make my way around impressive numbers and the multitude of spells on my bars.
    It had an easier way to handle soul shards, an almost perfect cooldown timer, a rather awkward spell timer, but usefull nonetheless. Right now i'd like to think i've moved past.
    Forte is good. It really is! It announces the raid that i just put up a summoning stone and that i just soulstoned someone and deletes extra shards and everything. And i can live without all of those! And Forte's Spell Timer does what any other spell timer does; keeps track of your dot's and debuffs on your target. Ok, so far so good!
    But Forte's Spell Timer is... sparkly!(for lack of a better word) It's all shinny and glows and... why?
    I like my bars simple and flat(check my screenshot on the previous page) and Forte will never do that.
    Plus, you have to spend a very long time to set up Forte exactly the way you like it, show me that spell, in that colour, over there, don't show me that, show me that in that colour...etc
    But why do you have to?
    Forte is no match to Power Auras, so you will have Power Auras installed.
    Forte has no cast bar, so you will have Quartz installed.
    And seeing how those two add-ons do every/anything Forte does(even better by some standards) what need do you have for Forte then?
    Quartz can track your dots and debuffs in a similar(better even) way, with less configuration, less hassle and a cleaner look.
    Then why would you have another add-on to eat up memory if it's gonna do the exactly same thing?
    Would you have both DXE and DBM running? No... So? Forte isn't bad! Forte is good, it's really, really good. It's just that when you put it in this context, next to Quartz and Power Auras...it just becomes... useless!
    inbefore "lol, get a better computer" and all... i play mostly at home on a 24" iMac(3.06Ghz, 4Gb Ram, GeForce 8800GS)and every now and then at work on a dual-Xeon MacPro.
    Memory consumption isn't that much of a deal to me but i still don't like useless things running.
    Warlocks are hard.

HEHEHEH Rat

FORTE SUXS DONKEYBALLS
    Ok, cool story bro, but why?
    Cos its a bigass addon that got so much focus on visual and nonneeded stuff. Are other addons that does what it do and more. Basicly its a nice flashy cool addon for new lockplayers. Anyone a bit more experienced deleted it after a while.
    yes I want to /yell "Come forth my minion!" whenever I summon my pet.. <- catch my drift?

Edit:
    If I really must be more constructive to something that should be obvious this poster pretty much sum. it all up *hijacking it*
    Forte is no match to Power Auras, so you will have Power Auras installed.
    Forte has no cast bar, so you will have Quartz installed.
    And seeing how those two add-ons do every/anything Forte does(even better by some standards) what need do you have for Forte then?