Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: forteXorcist Questions - Warlock PoV

Personally I use quarts for the cast bar \ dot timer and then overlay the forte drain soul timer \ tick timer right over the quartz cast bar,
    so when im casting drain soul and only when im casting drain soul do I see the ticks of my cast.

If anyone was looking to setup forte to do this

http://wowmb.net/forums/f100/32461-h...shot_tutorial/

Is an excellent guide, one that I have recommended to all afflic warlocks.

You do know that Quartz now shows Drain Soul ticks, right?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

But the addon DrainSoulTimer plays a sound at tick, which is even so much cooooooler.

My words of wisdom after some drinks :-*
    Being a proud Forte user is like having sex..
    only to discover you had sex with a donkey.
    The intentions were good but something is just awfully wrong about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Except there was no Russian Invasion into Crimea.
    Not like Putin acknowledged it on national tv..

Quote Originally Posted by Ravemstr
    You do know that Quartz now shows Drain Soul ticks, right?
    Yea, I find Forte better at showing knockback.

And with a sound you can't predict ticks as well, so your interrupt is going to be slower then having a visual aid.

I can predict ticks perfectly well since the intervalls are the same thank you
    Prefer however to look at the boss in fights since hes in in the middle of the screen most often and my bars are alligned according to that. The other advantage of that is the damagenumbers being a secondary know-when.

Found this way better for me, some find the stare at bar better anyhow Forte suck.

I use forte (ducks flying fruit) for a small number of things like tracking cooldowns and specific buffs. As others have said, Quartz is more than enough to track DoTs on target (and focus too).

Here is a recent video of me on Rotface10 that shows a very simple/stock UI without any of the extraneous fluff of forte's default options: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gWEmFFlzbc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeides
    Here is a recent video of me on Rotface10 that shows a very simple/stock UI without any of the extraneous fluff of forte's default options
    But i'm seeing a SS counter, and the number of soulshards you have left and... Oh, nevermind, i'll just ignore the 3 bars on your screen taking space and doing/giving absolutely nothing in return...
    If i'm not mistaken, you seem to have Power Auras installed. What need do you have for both of them? Just dump one of them(i'd like to tell you wich one but that would be biased). That will improve your overall performance!(Looking at less things = more awareness = better performance overall =(/=) more DPS(that depends on the person pushing the keys)) Not to mention less memory consumption and even lower lag.
    But i have to go back to what i said before(that's for everyone, not you). And i cannot stress this enough.
    It doesn't really matter what add-on you use, or what your UI looks like(well, in decent lines<that dk ui comes back to Haunt me, pun intended>) All that matters is that you're comfortable with everything so that your performance doesn't suffer from either too much or too less information received/perceived.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

Excuse me? The Soul Shard tracker/Health Stone tracker/Summoning bars are locked to right side of my screen and maybe 40 pixels in width. They are very useful to me out of combat and sometimes even in as the soul shard tracker tracks battle rezzes/reincarnates/etc as well as soul stone cds and who they are applied to.

Also, why should I drop addons that I use to indicate mutually exclusive things? Power Auras with the profiles I've written for it tells me when specific conditions obtain; the bar timers underneath my cast bar from forte indicate the duration of certain buffs/cooldowns depending on spec. For instance, knowing the duration of my life tap glyph buff is useful as I can plan ahead when I should tap. I have implemented some redundancy such as also having a Power Aura for my life tap glyph buff falling off. Why? Well fights get crazy sometimes and the extra feedback of a glowing red border around my character (the Power Aura I have for the life tap buff) helps.

Given that forte is modular and I've disabled most of it from even loading, I don't see why it can't be effective in certain scenarios even for low-end systems. The reason I ever started using it was to get a drain soul timer that accurately showed ticks that updated for pushback. Before I used forte, I used a custom fifths background for Quartz, but that was static. Now that Quartz displays drain soul ticks by default, I still find forte useful for its raid management features and the cds/buffs I track with it.

Thats how Forte is best used, with all unloaded.

I used to use Forte, and found it after spending roughly 2-3 weeks getting used to it and having spent what felt like 4 zillion hours setting it all up so it did what I wanted and didn't fill my screen with useless crap, that it still didn't do what I wanted it to. You need to run so many things alongside it makes it worth no smegging use and is only going to fill your screen with more crap.

Quartz takes like nearly zero setup to do what forte takes ages to setup to do. Powa Auras does the rest, yeh ok so it takes a bit longer but Bakis has been kind enough to show you all how to do it easily nowadays.

I hate addons as a must have so try to run as few as I can get away with, ok so I also hate the Blizzard Stock UI but even then I only run roughly 8 at the moment. If you want to keep your screen clear and clutter free then use quartz and powa auras. If not and you want to have 10 zillions addons to help one addon do one job then by all means take forte, that is, if you can stand to spend hours of YOUR playtime to set it all up.

Given that forte is modular and I've disabled most of it from even loading, I don't see why it can't be effective in certain scenarios even for low-end systems.
    Answer to that is that Forte in itself isnt well coded. If there is any argument for "low-end" systems that would be to use PA, QURTZ cos you could raid perfectly well with only those two handling damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis
    Answer to that is that Forte in itself isnt well coded. If there is any argument for "low-end" systems that would be to use PA, QURTZ cos you could raid perfectly well with only those two handling damage.
    That's true and I know how I could implement the in-combat functionality of forte with Power Auras. At this point though I've gotten used to the display, I appreciate the limited raid management functionality that integrates with things like Ora3, and am not playing on a low-end system such that one bloated addon will kill my performance.

I know that's pigheaded stubbornness from one perspective but I appreciate forte nearly every raid when the call goes out "Let's start summoning. Hey Ari, drop a stone."

I don't use Forte any longer either, similar to the previous poster just a combo of Quartz (general spell timers) and PowerAuras for specific CD's/reminders.

There is hope! The tide is turning against Forte and its f*ckface of a creator!

My ideal is to always push the addons to their limits making them handle the most information they can. I've never been a fan of ForteX cause its just a lot of bells n whistles, i like my addons to be quiet.

Most of the setup is explained in the image itself. It's very easy to reproduce my setup, just have to tinker with the options.
    http://imgur.com/ot47C.jpg

DoTimer will swap automatically the timers depending on what I'm targetting. It might seem confusing at first, but it's nice to have consistency on what and where the things appear, off targets always to the right. Main target always above Unitframes.
    It's tidy.