Thread: Some questions.

Some questions.

I own a Alienware with dual 8800 SLI graphics cards. I was wondering if there was a way I can use my 50 inch TV as a monitor?

Also I was wondering how and if you could play WOW through the PS3?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100
    I own a Alienware with dual 8800 SLI graphics cards. I was wondering if there was a way I can use my 50 inch TV as a monitor?
    Does your TV have an HDMI input?

Also I was wondering how and if you could play WOW through the PS3?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Does your TV have an HDMI input?

No.
    It has two HDMI inputs. Actually three if you count the one in the front of the TV

I read somewhere that I need a DVI to HDMI cable that costs like 5 to 10 dollars. If I decided to use my TV as a monitor, would it fry my PC or give me horrible frame rates in WOW with that kinda resolution?

15+ Year Old Account

It has two HDMI inputs. Actually three if you count the one in the front of the TV

I read somewhere that I need a DVI to HDMI cable that costs like 5 to 10 dollars. If I decided to use my TV as a monitor, would it fry my PC or give me horrible frame rates in WOW with that kinda resolution?
    If your video card only has a DVI out, then yes, you would need a DVI-to-HDMI converter.

Your monitor (or TV, in this case) only displays what's passed to it. The only way for it to fry your computer would be for it to physically pass an electrical charge backward through the cabling. Also, it's your computer's configuration that decides the resolution, not the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    If your video card only has a DVI out, then yes, you would need a DVI-to-HDMI converter.

Your monitor (or TV, in this case) only displays what's passed to it. The only way for it to fry your computer would be for it to physically pass an electrical charge backward through the cabling. Also, it's your computer's configuration that decides the resolution, not the screen.
    I assume it is a DVI. Isn't the DVI the same thing that a regular monitor uses to plug in the PC? I do also think it has a S-Video jack.. Looked like a small circle plug on the graphic card ports.

15+ Year Old Account

I assume it is a DVI. Isn't the DVI the same thing that a regular monitor uses to plug in the PC? I do also think it has a S-Video jack.. Looked like a small circle plug on the graphic card ports.
    Monitors use either VGA, DVI, HDMI, or S-Video. If it's a white connector, about an inch and a half across by half an inch high, then it's DVI. If it's a smaller connector, about the size of a USB port, then it's HDMI.

DVI:
    [img width=400]http://media.digikey.com/photos/Assmann%20Photos/AB557-R.jpg[/img]

HDMI:

This is what I have. I'm 90% sure it is a DVI.

Sorry it is cell phone picture quality.

15+ Year Old Account

It sounds like you're already describing the use of a DVI to HDMI converter. Or is your current monitor VGA?

VGA:

You would need a your connector to be male DVI (plugging into the video card) on one end and female HDMI (receiving the connector from the cable out to the TV) on the other.

I added some pictures to my last post. That is what I have.. I have a real old monitor and I need that adapter ( the clear one ) for it to plug into my PC.. Otherwise my monitor would not work with my PC lol

My monitor I believe is a VGA. I know HDMI cables because I use them on my HDTV for my PS3 and cable box.

15+ Year Old Account

Looks like you're using a DVI to VGA converter. You basically want the same thing, but with the receiving end to be HDMI instead.

Okay sweet.

So I will just need to go to best buy or something and look for a DVI to HDMI cable. =) All I need is the cable, right? I don't need anything else?

15+ Year Old Account

Just the converter and an HDMI cable should do it.