15+ Year Old Account

LF Bear hit rating

its an old discussion that ic gear lacks hit & exp,

exp is no real problem tho as whit the chest + legs + boots u have 40 exp already witch is good

however i am now struggling on hit.

i got the sack chest witch gives me 100 hit
    i got the exalted ring witch gives me 55 hit
    i got the boe ring witch gives me 38 hit
    i gemmed an other 30 hit
    i use hit food for 40 hit
    is a total of 263 hit rating

so i am fine for now but what if i get the ring of dreamwalker ?

thne i loose 38 hit rating and i dont rly wana gem any more hit rating, so there probely some hit rating prices that i dont see atm anyone got any suggestions

TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Re: LF Bear hit rating

You only need 8% to hit, sounds like you have the same 3 pieces I have and im at like barely under 8%. If you gem'd and eat food, your well over the cap of 8% or around 246 actual hit from gear #'s (forget the exact number)
    Tripawd 80 Druid <Blood Faith> Gorgonnash

Quote Originally Posted by Pkite

To those stuck up people, if you want to feel special then find the cure for cancer. I heard no one got the achievement yet.

I'm pretty sure the hit rating is 267, not sure why that figure pops into my mind.

I have the shaft of glacial ice that drops from Rotface on 10 man, that has a chunk of hit on it (87), that, combined with the two rings you suggested (55 & 38) is 180, i get the rest of my +hit from my boots (69) and (82) from my crafted chest piece. Once i get my wonderful sack then i can save up for the boots, if they'll ever drop for me!

I think the key to staying hit capped at this gear level is to pick up a weapon with +hit on it, not sure if there is much to chose from, but i'll be stuck with mine for awhile yet.

On the same note, i wouldn't gem for it, i posted on a thread about a month ago about a similar situation and when i said that going under the hit cap was a stupid idea, i got shot down in flames stating that its really not that big of a deal. Providing your not super low (180 and below) then you'll be fine to tank, you'll only be missing the very odd hit (1 in 20 swings at a rough guess)

Plus not eating 40 Agil / 40 Stam as a tank is a bad idea, 40 Agil is too awesome to pass on

15+ Year Old Account

yeh gemming hit isnt a good idea but i got a goo reason why lol

i been tanknig suarfang yesterday and missed me taunt >.<

and missing taunts on bosses like sourfang , rotface , dreamwalker and such is rrealy bad so i want stay capped for my taunt not for my tps

yeh there is a glypth for it but its not worth dropping any of my other imba glypths

only decant eapon whit hit is the mace of blood concil 25 / 25H and rotface 10/10H i gues

oh and btw hit cap is 263 not 267
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra
    and missing taunts on bosses like sourfang , rotface , dreamwalker and such is rrealy bad so i want stay capped for my taunt not for my tps
    yeh there is a glypth for it but its not worth dropping any of my other imba glypths
    only decant eapon whit hit is the mace of blood concil 25 / 25H and rotface 10/10H i gues
    Capping melee hit for Growl purposes is unnecessary if you have a Moonkin or a SPriest in your raid. You need something like 230ish rating in such cases I believe.

That being said, there are other pieces you can pick up with Hit on it. You'll always sacrifice stats for Hit so all you can do is switch a few pieces of gear depending on the fight. There's a necklace from Dreamwalker and a cloak from the Blood Prince Council that are, imo, good pieces to swap out. You'll lose the extra armor (from the Rotface neck and the emblem cloak, respectively) but Stam is usually equal on those pieces.

There's also a belt that Sunshine linked in one of the last post of the Bear sticky that is a decent piece to switch. You'll lose a bit of Stam but on fights like Saurfang it's trivial enough.

15+ Year Old Account

Follow this order, and with this priority:

1) stop gemming hit.
    2) stop eating hit food.
    3) stop using only one gear set. use two. or three. or four. Including trinkets.

3.1) the full EH gear set. has focus on Max EH aka armor and Stamina. Your job as a tank is to survive and make your healer's life as easy as possible. so this should be your first gearset you collect. period. Armor trinkets > stamina trinkets - except at magic dmg fights.
    3.2) the hit gear set. has focus on reaching the hit cap. Growl follows the spell hit rules, so you need 17% spellhit to be capped. Therefore it's just plain dumb to not take the growl glyph in your hit-gearset. With the glyph you still need 9% spellhit, which equals to roughly 6-7% melee hit (I'm not sure about the exact number though - but it's roughly 7% melee IIRC). never use melee-dps-trinkets like that 245-badge-hit-trinket-with-ap-on-use. use ur normal EH gearset trinkets.
    3.3) If you have the items and both sets above completed, you could build another full avoidance gear set, featuring to get your dodge as high as possible, so => agility gems. death's choice / darkmoon card as trinkets here are insane.
    3.4) you have couple of glpyhs available as a bear. Maul, Frenzied Regeneration, Survival instincts, Growl, Mangle (since 3.3). FR and SI are pretty much "mandatory" (even though it really doesn't matter if you have 90k or 110k with SI Active ...). The rest is situational. Maul for trash, Growl for bosses where taunts may matter, Mangle for bosses where threat matters. since threat isn't really any concern if you and your guild play it right ... and since trash isn't really something that should matter at all, you will have growl 95% of the time applied anyways - since you can fail at many bosses with a missed growl.

15+ Year Old Account

ye hyeh 3 sets might seem nice but knowing myzelf on the countless of times iv tanked in my dps set lol i will confuse and mix thme up i am more looknig for a nice EH set whit high armor whillle keeping mele hit cap

it is tru that grow uses spell hit iv heard it before ubt it seems that if u are melee hit capped growl hardly ever resist (besides didnt they move it to psysical hit chance some patches ago ?)
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

If you are not glyphed for growl on Saurfang then you are doing it wrong. What other glyph would you use in place of growl on a fight where missing a taunt (on heroic mode for sure) means you are going to wipe since your dps cannot out damage his healing? The only other glyph you might be using would be Mangle (Maul should absolutely not be glyphed for this fight) and if you really find that you need Mangle to out-threat your dps on a single target then perhaps you should talk to your raid leader about why your dps are out-gearing you.

If you have Sack + Exalted Ring + Heroic version of Soulthief's Braided Belt you have 209 hit rating without gemming any hit. If you are alliance and run with a draenei you can add 32 to that for a total of 241 hit rating. Still less than 1% off of melee hit cap but if you are going to eat a non-agility food at that point you should eat expertise food as it gives you the same reduced chance to "miss" while at the same time reducing enemy chance to parry which helps a small bit with your survivability. If you don't have a draenei you can eat hit food and get to 249 hit rating and with glyph of growl you will not be missing taunts.

Edit: Yes Growl uses spell hit NOT melee hit. This is exactly why there is a glyph of Growl.

Quote Originally Posted by hoot80
    If you are not glyphed for growl on Saurfang then you are doing it wrong. What other glyph would you use in place of growl on a fight where missing a taunt (on heroic mode for sure) means you are going to wipe since your dps cannot out damage his healing?
    i agree with it being necessary on heroic saurfang, but I've used maul all of this expansion until last night and never had a problem.. if you don't have an extremely bad raid, saurfang fight won't make a difference if you miss a taunt.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by littlepiggy
    i agree with it being necessary on heroic saurfang, but I've used maul all of this expansion until last night and never had a problem.. if you don't have an extremely bad raid, saurfang fight won't make a difference if you miss a taunt.
    when i was melee hit capped i never say my growl miss tbh, oke it mgiht have missed a few times but that was so small that i didnt notice it

now ia moff the hit cap and i do see it missing witch is why i wana reach hit cap again

as for the glypth i am not gonig to swap glypts aroung every fight i want the best posable overall setup and id go for maul , SI , FR in that
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

when i was melee hit capped i never say my growl miss tbh, oke it mgiht have missed a few times but that was so small that i didnt notice it

now ia moff the hit cap and i do see it missing witch is why i wana reach hit cap again

as for the glypth i am not gonig to swap glypts aroung every fight i want the best posable overall setup and id go for maul , SI , FR in that
    as other's have said, you technically shouldn't gem hit as a bear.. but if you really hate those misses you could keep your hit food and gems for now but aim for a new upgrade with hit on it

unless you have a 264 you could get shaft of glacial ice or hersir's greatspear (but i'm going to assume you have distant land or bloodfall) princes on 25man drop a tanking cape with 38 hit and dreamwalker drops a neck with 46 hit. there is also a belt off 10 deathwhisper depending on what you're using (it lacks stam/agi i think)

10+ Year Old Account

With the necessity of our four piece bonus getting hit is quite difficult. At the moment all of my hit rating is coming from my rings and my chest piece, I'm only at 213 hit but I haven't noticed it impairing my tanking capabilities. I switch my weapon on fights like Saurfang and Rotface though.