Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Need advice on how to fix my raid's DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Jester_Joker
    Well, if you are running with a lot of casters here is my advice: Tell them to move out of fire, but only to move out of fire! Don't let the casters run thirty feet before starting their cast again! And tell them that if they get hit by coldflame or are standing in Death and Decay that it's okay to get hit once or twice, because thats what healers are for! Don't let the casters move unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.
    Example situation: Fire under warlock! Warlock is in the middle of an Incinerate cast. He stands until the cast is finished, taking 4k damage from the fire. Then he moves four steps to the right, out of the fire, and then starts casting again. Functional, the healers actually get to do something, and face it: Casting Incinerate whilst standing in a pool of fire looks crazy awesome.
    I used to have a movement problem. 2.7k gearscore (Wowheroes - not that gearscore matters) Arcane mage. I was doing 3.5k DPS. After I realized my movement problem? 6.5k DPS. Trust me - not moving works.
    Terrible, if that's the truth, you are just terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    I was wondering about this too... our mages are perfectly capable of instantly moving out of fires and death and decays and such while maintaining imba dps. Breaking a single cast is far less important than moving the hell out of the giant glowing circle of why-the-fuck-are-you-standing-on-me.
    Now, of course you move out of fire. My point is simply not to move waaaay out of the way. I see it a lot, and I'm saying I used to run farther than I needed to. But if the healers are there to heal, why have DPS stop doing damage and move 30 yards when they can simply finish the spell and step to the right while taking a few thousand damage? Not trolling - I'm being serious. It helps. Of course, this only applies to raids that were like mine: extremely caster-DPS-heavy. Otherwise there is not a need to worry about such things, since melee are not only fairly safe near the boss, but they can do damage while moving.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
    -Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Breaking a single cast is far less important than moving the hell out of the giant glowing circle of why-the-fuck-are-you-standing-on-me.
    The vast majority of aoe that you will find in normal modes doesn't do enough damage for waiting to finish a cast to matter. I'm not saying that making a point of standing in fire is a good thing, but sometimes you can take a little avoidable damage to increase your dps as long there is no chance of you dying to it.

my suggestion, look at the ppl with 2k dps

check their gems, enchants, and talent

then check their rotation

and suggest to them a better gem, enchant, talent, and rotation for the way THEY wanted to play

because you don't wanna force someone into doing things they dont wanna do. While some spec does provide better dps than other, there's always a way to get the best result even with a different spec.

personally, i would rather take a frost mage who played frost for 80 levels in a boss fight doing the right amount of dps for their level rather than a arcane mage who was force to switch when he turns 80 because he heard arcane is top dps. at least with the frost mage, you know they know what they have to do to keep their dps top so they arent force to change spec to keep their damage up

if they dont change and constantly bring down the dps

you will have to make that call, drop or keep

cuz even t9, you will have to try really really hard to do 2k dps.

All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mordockk

maybe if ICC is the first place you started raiding you shuold go back and do naxx for practice, to work as a team and gain some raid awareness.
    When I was a guild master I did the exact same thing but it was beforewe started ICC . we did TOC and Ony for a couple of weeks a couple of people even got upgrades but everyones DPS went up by 100-200 just with some practice (Including the people with no extra gear) I personally think raiding is not just about gear but also about enjoying yourself
    Insert Signiture here.

Quote Originally Posted by hoot80
    Am I actually seeing this? You are telling him that the key to getting better dps is by standing in fire? This is obviously a troll. Either that or you have never raided or done an instance or even soloed. Do you play WoW?
    He's entirely serious and he's right, getting the best possible dps means moving efficiently, knowing exactly how long you can afford to stay in a static AoE to finish a cast. Some AoEs like defile the answer is always that you can't, but many you can.

However most people will settle for less than the best possible dps, 90% of their optimal dps and less risk is fine for them. Since the OPs problem is people doing less than 50% of their theoretic dps, then it's probably not super relevant

Have your dps watch this video. It covers a lot of easy ways to increase dps for players at most levels of raiding experience.

i don't want to be mean but 3k dps is what you should be pulling in nax gear with a couple blues left over.
    assuming your around 5k gs level of gear theres no reason anyone should ever ever ever do less than 5kdps with 25m raid buffs. people pulling less that that simply should not be brought to your raids.

(seriously tho 5k is crazy low, its not like its difficult to play your class "adequately". google your rotation and press it)

id also kick every single keyboard turner out of your guild.

As other people have said, knowing your raid composition would be an enormous help. If you don't have a raid that is buffing the majority of your damage dealers, this could be a contributing factor for poor performance (although not sub 3k). The impression that I got from reading your initial post was that perhaps your DDs are burnt out on the Saurfang fight and so their performance on it severly declines. Another bit of information that would be helpful is describing what strategy you are using for the fight (For example, 2 or 3 healers?, how many ranged?), but this again goes towards raid composition. Mainly what I wanted to comment on was helping you evaluate your players. I can try to be helpful in evaluating a hunter (since I play one raiding H ICC-10). It is a little tedious, and the method is not entirely perfect, but you'll get the idea. So if you want to decide if your hunter is playing up to par, we'll say a MM hunter, what you first want to do is look at the combat length in your combat log. Let's say you are dealing with a 5:00 encounter. Now the Hunters main priorities are to hit Chimaera, Aimed, and Silencing Shot when they are off CD, right? So if you take your 5:00 attempt and divide it by the CD for Chimaera (12 seconds), your hunter should have approximately 25 Chimaera shots. You can do this for the other two shots as well. Keep in mind that in actuality the calculations would be a bit more dynamic then this, but I think you get the point. Aimed shot = 10 sec CD, which means roughly 30 Aimed shots in 5 minutes. Lastly Silencing shot = 20 sec CD, which means roughly 15 in 5 minutes. Now here is the tricky part. At ICC levels, when all of your instants are on CD, your hunters should be able to get off between 3-4 steady shots. If DPS is a bit lower, lets err on the side of caution and say they are getting 3 off. What this means essentially, is that for every chimaera shot the hunter gets off, he is doing 3 steady shots, which according to our calculations earlier means 75 steady shots. This number will vary depending on latency and movement, etc. As I've said, this is a crude method of evaluating your hunters, but it can be useful in helping you decide whether or not he is making his shots on time (ie if his observed shot value is far less than his expected shot value). The number of shots will also become skewed a bit once kill shot becomes active. A big part of playing a hunter is managing your CDs properly as well, so when they use their CDs is important to.

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful to you. If you can provide more information perhaps we can help more.