Poll: What do you call the Healing Priest spec with Penance at the bottom?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How do YOU say the Priest Tree spec on the left?

*April 06, 2010 Edit*
    Put a pronounciation caveat into choice one, since so many people are raging over it.
    *End Edit*

What say you?

Thanks Chelor for your attempt at trolling me, hence inspiring this topic.

Re: How do YOU say the Priest Tree spec on the left?

dis·ci·pline (dĭs'ə-plĭn)

Get it right or pay the price. (do-do-doo Camp Anawanna...)

'Diss' As in Discipline. You don't say DISKaplin. You don't say DISCOplin. It's pronounced DISSaplin. So why would you shorten the word to anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Diszi in german
    everybody uses it
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

You do realise that "Disco" does not come from Discipline right? They are called "Disco" priests because of the variety of shields that look like a disco ball. So my comment just killed your thread soz for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiago
    You do realise that "Disco" does not come from Discipline right? They are called "Disco" priests because of the variety of shields that look like a disco ball. So my comment just killed your thread soz for that.
    /facepalm
    We're on the same page, I must not have written it clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiago
    This is quite possibly the stupidest comment I've read all day, and I've been reading the MMO forums for hours now.
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis
    'Diss' As in Discipline. You don't say DISKaplin. You don't say DISCOplin. It's pronounced DISSaplin. So why would you shorten the word to anything else?
    Yes, "Diss" would be the correct way if you are just shortening the real word. But people pronounce it like "disk" because when you shorten the SPELLING of the word, you get DISC... And DISC is pronounced "disk". So, although you do not pronounce it "DISK"aplin, people are still reading (and pronouncing) the word they see, which is Disc.

Quote Originally Posted by dyce09
    Yes, "Diss" would be the correct way if you are just shortening the real word. But people pronounce it like "disk" because when you shorten the SPELLING of the word, you get DISC... And DISC is pronounced "disk". So, although you do not pronounce it "DISK"aplin, people are still reading (and pronouncing) the word they see, which is Disc.

So what you're telling me is that people act and speak on simply what they see (IE: Impulse) instead of taking a mere second to think something through?

Nothing new here :-/

Regardless, the poll says 'Disc as in Discipline', which generally entails pronouncing the first word in the same manner as you would pronounce it in the second, meaning 'diss'. Thankfully the vast majority chose the 'correct' option for pronunciation in this regard.

Regardless, the poll says 'Disc as in Discipline', which generally entails pronouncing the first word in the same manner as you would pronounce it in the second, meaning 'diss'. Thankfully the vast majority chose the 'correct' option for pronunciation in this regard.
    /agree

My option in putting "Disco - Short for Discipline" was to fish out anyone that honestly believes Disco is some sort of derivative for the word Discipline. I wasn't insinuating Disco is how you begin to pronounce the word, just that there may be some people out there that think Disco <-> Discipline are equal.

Discipline.

Dis·ci·pline

I pronounce it the way it is pronounced. It's not particularly hard.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

So what you're telling me is that people act and speak on simply what they see (IE: Impulse) instead of taking a mere second to think something through?

Nothing new here :-/

No, I am not saying there is a correct or incorrect way of pronouncing a fictional word. Diss or Disc is not a real word. It's a WoW word.

All I am saying is that I know why some people pronounce it 'disk' as oppose to 'diss'. It's just how their brain makes that decision. For example, if I were to ask a group of people what 12 x 15 is? Without using a calculator, figuring it out in your head, people can do it many ways.

10x15=150
    2x15=30
    150+30=180

12x10=120
    12x5=60
    120+60=180

15x2=30 => 30x6=180

To name a few ways of deducing that calculation. I'm sure there are many other ways.

The point being, it's based on they mind and how their brain works. You feel that 'diss' is the RIGHT way because your brain is shortening the real work of 'discapline' to the first syllable, being 'diss'. But if you read it like that, when you type out the shortened version, do you type out 'diss' or do you type out 'disc'.

The people that type out 'disc' read the word that is typed and don't make any connection between 'disc' and 'discipline' when it comes to pronounciation. Even though 'disc' is just an abbreviation of 'discipline'.

Here's another test for you. When you read the sentence "Sorry guys, brb", in your head or out loud. Do you read the letters B R B or do you read "be right back". As in, you read "Sorry guys, be right back".
    Then compare that to when you read a sentence like "Wow, that was awesome, lol". Do you read the letters L O L, do you read "Laugh Out Loud" OR do you even read it as "lol" (pronounced like L-All).

If you've ever said the word 'lol' (pronounced like l-all), then your completely hypocritical when arguing that 'diss' the CORRECT why to pronounce it.

Dyce just owned a bunch of people.

I say Disc priest. Yeah, it's not pronounced diskaplin but who cares? the abbreviation is cleaner to say if it ends in a consonant.

Why do people call Protection warriors and pallies "prot," (that is a short o, as in dock) when you would say pruhtection or pro-tection? Because the shortened form looks like it would be pronounced a different way, and indeed it subjectively sounds better than Prote war (rhyming with scrote war). It's the exact same issue.

Or people saying Demo lock (as in demolition) when the word is really demonology, with a long E. Some people say Demon lock but hey, Demo works.

It gets sticky though when you consider that "Destro" is acceptable for Destruction, and it's adding this same wild O as "disco." The thing is, Destro isn't really "taken" by anything and you don't seem like youre trying to be cute by calling your priest a Disco priest. So Destro works.

On a related note, anyone that says Retri pally can go jump off a cliff. It's ret.

And on a semi-related note, anyone that says "herth" stone can join them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope
    Diszi in german
    everybody uses it
    so true!

Disc, usually.

Then again I'm a Pro/Ho Paladin. Why does everything need shortening again?
    "Like it's MY fault some BIG dragon knocked me into a cave full of LITTLE dragons!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
    The community didn't go down the shitter because of the LFG system, the LFG system just introduced you to the shitty community in a horribly effective way.

Disc, and yes, i say 'disk', but just because it sounds cool in my head

Quote Originally Posted by bw13187
    On a related note, anyone that says Retri pally can go jump off a cliff. It's ret.
    oh come on, am i the only one saying: Retardins, Healadins and Tankadins? (soon also Milkadins / cowadins / moodins)

Also, Dyce09, very nice post, you rocked this thread
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.

Disc, just because it's quite commonly known.

Disco just sounds..like.. dancing in the disco.

Say disco priest outloud when you're talking to other wow players. I just did. My shadowpriest roomie was like "disco priest? thats retarded."

"What spec are you?" "Disco priest" "huh"

Predicting damage - the right way.

Is it really that hard to add a few more letters and pronounce it properly as it is intended? I clicked Other because I say/type Discipline.

Disc, or Discipline. Disco is retarded.