Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Don't spank the tank

Quote Originally Posted by aftermidnight
    Key words in bold.
    Be a passive tank and it'll get to you; too.
    A passive tank? That seems to be an oxymoron to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis
    Or tanks should simply man up and take opportunities like DPS pulling to increase their skill at picking up multiple mobs and learning how to tank. When I tank, I love it when DPS are so gung ho to kill shit that they move at a good pace. I also find it helps me out because it allows me to be better prepared for those "Oh shit" moments. Stop whining about DPS pulling and l2tank, because not everything in this game goes smoothly.
    somehow i dont think you understand the point of the message, and are in dire need to clear that sand out of your orifices... seriously dude, chillax.

the post is mainly concerning newer tanks to endgame content. for a lot of people, the current behaviors of the general DPS population in random heroics can be very intimidating and challenging to deal with. If DPS would lighten up and let the tank have some breathing room, it allows that newer tank to blossom into a confident, competent tank, who by that time, will have the ability to start taunting off of players, and will learn or may very well already know how to deal with "oh shit" moments.

Or tanks should simply man up and take opportunities like DPS pulling to increase their skill at picking up multiple mobs and learning how to tank.
    if dps want's to pull mops they should roll a tank.
    I don't mind that a hunter md's a target to me when i'm omw to pull it but not when i'm waiting a sec cause i'm resetting something or the healers is on a mb.
    I play all rolles and played most classes just to know how they work.
    there is nothing more frustrating then some dps pushing u to go faster then u like to go. I play a tank just for the fun of it so enjoy pulling and getting agro etc, there is little fun in zerging treu an instance in 12 min, at least not for me.

Or tanks should simply man up and take opportunities like DPS pulling to increase their skill at picking up multiple mobs and learning how to tank. When I tank, I love it when DPS are so gung ho to kill shit that they move at a good pace. I also find it helps me out because it allows me to be better prepared for those "Oh shit" moments. Stop whining about DPS pulling and l2tank, because not everything in this game goes smoothly.
    But for a tank that is learning to make pulls and control them, DPS pulling makes it harder than it needs to be and is just plain frustrating.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Deleted

sooo true. and im druid tank

10+ Year Old Account

If this was still BC, then I might agree with you. CC hasn't been needed for any of Wrath, so if you are saying a tank needs to do anything other than run into a pack of mobs, then I'd like to know what game you are playing.

Totally true.
    And about Gogogoogoggo I buble every one exept 1 who said it then pull 2 packs of mobs and buble myself and let him die
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercrunchy View Post
    I play both factions and theres not much difference, we're all idiots

This is a great guide, very insightful. New and old players alike can use a lesson in sensibility now and then; when we research our classes and perfect our game, humility, patience, helpfulness etc. seem rarely a part of the learning curve. A lot of people don`t prioritize the growth and experience of other players at all. That is what this guide is trying to do rather than advocate faceroll speed runs and me-first behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Nektarious
    ... if the tank dies it's the healer's fault and if the healer dies it's the tank's fault.
    This is a good starting point, and I am sure a lot of people agree. I would argue that the best judgment call is situational. Blame may not be obvious, limited to one person, nor constructive.

If this was still BC, then I might agree with you. CC hasn't been needed for any of Wrath, so if you are saying a tank needs to do anything other than run into a pack of mobs, then I'd like to know what game you are playing.
    nobody said anything about cc dude... really, lighten up. you have a very pugnacious and abrasive attitude in this thread.

This is somewhat true for WOTLK, but myself and my tight instance running circle (yes, there are people who build their WoW interest around 5-mans, and think raiding is an unnecesarry headache, perish the thought!) we see the occasional CC (ie PoS Hill of death) as maintaining good practices and habits that will benefit us come cataclysm.

If you think tank rage is bad now, wait till the ones faceroll aoe tanking now try to do it in the encounters designed to be CC'ed in cataclysm. We're pretty sure we'll be holding off on the DF (for filling incomplete groups out) for awhile once the new content is out, and everything is put into the "can't trust that PUGs can run it" category we currently place H-HOR.

But back on topic, good list!
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

Quote Originally Posted by shadobeast13
    nobody said anything about cc dude... really, lighten up. you have a very [b]pugnacious[b] and abrasive attitude in this thread.
    Well the LFD queue system -is- an automated pugging service.

Bad jokes aside, I'd give the left one for a tank that can pull the first two pathing groups in Old Kingdom without getting the group behind them. I can do it on mine, but I've rarely seen other tanks do it when I'm on an alt. Granted, some tanks are geared enough to handle the double pull, especially if they interrupt the Spell Flingers from doing that AoE shadow spell, but more often than not it wasn't intentional and by that point they're scrambling just to have agro let alone stun/interrupt Spell Flingers.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Quote Originally Posted by det
    makes you feel like a one-legged man in an asskicking contest
    Bah gawd! What a slobberknocker!

i dont understand why >bad< tanks feel insulted when you tell them to pull faster, or that you dont need to mark every mob in a pull since the dps will just AoE, if someone says gogogo means you are going slow, you know, some people dont want or have 1 hour for just 1 instance, some people, like me, are used to clear heroics in 10-15 mins, and when i tank with my dk i use half dps gear and half tank gear, just to make sure i dont lose aggro and im usually doing more dmg than most people. but when i queue to heal or dps, its a whole diferent story, not only i have to spend 10 mins as dps to get into a group (unless a tank / healer friend queue with me) but i have to deal with tanks that are reeeally slow, that dont have gems / enchants / right talents / or a brain, its so frustating to wait and see how a even if everyone is doing 4-5k dps, it takes 40 mins to do a heroic because (even with tricks / Miss direction) tanks lose aggro because they are bad, and think that its the dps fault. also tell me why when i heal, and everyone is at full health, the tank doesnt realize he can pull faster? most of the time im dps'ing because its boring to do heroics, and even more boring to be a healer and dont have anything to heal.

i dont mind having a tank that doesnt know the instance, or that is new to tanking, but, its not hard, if you have half brain you will learn in 1 day.

the tank's gear doesnt matter either, at the begining of wotlk people tanked heroics with 23k hp,i tanked heroics with that health, even now i have taken most of my gear off to get to that hp, and i didnt lose aggro or had healing problems, so tell me how a tank with 30k+ hp is having troubles in 5 man content

conclusion: man up, stop feeling insulted by everything and every little comment, stop demanding everyone to talk to you like if you were 5 years old, if you are doing things right, nobody will say anything, if you are doing the wrong things... well...

also, think that if you are slow, you are wasting everyones time

Deleted

What really pisses me off when tanking heroics is the Frost Mage using Frost Nova while i'm trying to pack up the mobs.
    If that happens i just stop tanking (or if i'm with a friend Hunter or Rogue i just say "He's all yours").

Quote Originally Posted by vvr
    i dont understand why >bad< tanks feel insulted when you tell them to pull faster, or that you dont need to mark every mob in a pull since the dps will just AoE, if someone says gogogo means you are going slow, you know, some people dont want or have 1 hour for just 1 instance, some people, like me, are used to clear heroics in 10-15 mins, and when i tank with my dk i use half dps gear and half tank gear, just to make sure i dont lose aggro and im usually doing more dmg than most people. but when i queue to heal or dps, its a whole diferent story, not only i have to spend 10 mins as dps to get into a group (unless a tank / healer friend queue with me) but i have to deal with tanks that are reeeally slow, that dont have gems / enchants / right talents / or a brain, its so frustating to wait and see how a even if everyone is doing 4-5k dps, it takes 40 mins to do a heroic because (even with tricks / Miss direction) tanks lose aggro because they are bad, and think that its the dps fault. also tell me why when i heal, and everyone is at full health, the tank doesnt realize he can pull faster? most of the time im dps'ing because its boring to do heroics, and even more boring to be a healer and dont have anything to heal.

i dont mind having a tank that doesnt know the instance, or that is new to tanking, but, its not hard, if you have half brain you will learn in 1 day.

the tank's gear doesnt matter either, at the begining of wotlk people tanked heroics with 23k hp,i tanked heroics with that health, even now i have taken most of my gear off to get to that hp, and i didnt lose aggro or had healing problems, so tell me how a tank with 30k+ hp is having troubles in 5 man content

conclusion: man up, stop feeling insulted by everything and every little comment, stop demanding everyone to talk to you like if you were 5 years old, if you are doing things right, nobody will say anything, if you are doing the wrong things... well...

If your time can "be wasted" in WoW, you shouldn't hit random. You say others shouldn't inflict their pace on you, I say look in the mirror and say that again, sir.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon
    If your time can "be wasted" in WoW, you shouldn't hit random. You say others shouldn't inflict their pace on you, I say look in the mirror and say that again, sir.

Just a thought.
    They can't help it, they've been raised in GenerationNow, where anything more than 5 seconds of waiting is so horribly wrong and woefully unfair to their precious time.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

translation: "im a spoiled DPS who thinks that because im so geared, everyone should cater to my wants and desires. If the tank is only in ilevel 200 gear because he just dinged 80 he should pull like he's in ICC 25 H gear because thats what I want him to do"

dude really, not evertyhing revolves around you. Some tanks dont pull fast because they CANT, else they get squashed.`

this post isnt concerning bad tanks with good gear, its concerning new tanks who are overwheled by the bullshit that DPS like you force-feed them when they try to run a heroic.

no, not everything is about me, but every tank can pull fast, im not saying you have to pull the entire instance, but once a group is dead or only 2 mobs with 10% health are left, they can start pulling the next group, dont say they cant, the could, if they try, its just that they are mediocre

no, not everything is about me, but every tank can pull fast, im not saying you have to pull the entire instance, but once a group is dead or only 2 mobs with 10% health are left, they can start pulling the next group, dont say they cant, the could, if they try, its just that they are mediocre
    Bad troll is bad. This will be your last cookie from my feedbag. :P

Oh Oh Oh! I know the answer on this question! =D

I got my own little story also.
    I lvld my little paladin tank 70-80 when ulduar had come out. So ok, I hit 80, get help from friend of mine with some plate defense gear, I gem myself using my shaman and I hit 19k Health and 540 Def. No biggie, My friend had less health when he hit 80 on his warrior.

But I couldnt find a freaking group because everyone was "to little health". I got pissed, did a rally call in my guild and we were running heroics that day. My little paladin as tank (remember, 19k health), paladin healer (24k mana), destro lock (aggro whore), arms warrior and a ffb mage.

During Heroic strat the healadin writes in the guild chat "I havent had this much fun in a while" and he was referring to our heroic running because he had to heal me all the time, no break. One group down, going towards the next. After 5 heroics we decided to take a break and look, 21k health ^^

My point being, newly dinged, go with friends, if they still cant see that you are good, show them the finger