Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Do locks ever use soulfire in any pvp situation??

Quote Originally Posted by Conquestaxe
    ... maybe you should read what he typed again. For cyclone you would cast it so it lands right after it ends, and he knows sheep/repentance break on damage. lets say your target dies and your switching to the next one in bgs arena what ever. Do you want to hit him with a weak spell then let him come after you or unload your biggest nuke before hes set free.
    I also answered that option, And there's other spells that would be more viable to lign up after a cyclone then a soulfire.

With doing such a long cast it also opens up for counters.. There's really not a viable situation for soulfire instead of a destrocombo for instance.

This Taun kid is really bad. whatever he says, dont listen to him. To answer your question, Soulfire is a great way to break CC like sheep or fear. its definately the biggest nuke warlocks have. so try that out, use it if you want to end your cc and do some wombo combo hard hitting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Taun
    I also answered that option, And there's other spells that would be more viable to lign up after a cyclone then a soulfire.

With doing such a long cast it also opens up for counters.. There's really not a viable situation for soulfire instead of a destrocombo for instance.

Are you refusing too read what has been said?

Why open with a Immolate for 1.5k when you can open with a 4k soulfire?

You use Soulfire then start your normal rotation, It will not ruin a rotation, Its just a free hit you can get on the target, Also for Arena/BG it may even force them too use trinket as they know it will hit hard.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

To be honest Soul fires are never pointless, it's just fitting them in which is the hard part.

Personally I use to do this.

Immo a Target straight away, just as GCD ends throw in a Shadowfury. Start Casting the soulfire, this would either do two things.

- They'd see it and use trinket to get out of stun, To which i Counterd with my Succ & Seduced ( Therefore forced them to use trinket )
    - They'd not break it, so i'd wait till the Shadowfury was just about to end and seduce regardless but they could reach/stop me from casting if there smart.

But other then that, I didnt get much to chance to use it.

If you can fit a soulfire in, Do so. Immo/CB are quick casts, Conflag is instant and all can be applied/executed very quickly!

Soulfire is never used as affliction. Fear simply isn't a realiable enough CC to get off such a long cast. The only time I can think of would be dueling a rogue with Succu out.

As destro it's used often. Not so much in arena, but in 1v1 situations you should always be using soulfire, not immolate, as your seduce breaker/combo starter (providing it's a full duration seduce). In arena you can't afford to give your opponent such a good chance to lock out your main damage school but more importantly, you'll be killing the target within a CC duration so the same rules don't apply as they do in duels. You want to unload as much damage as possible whilst his partner is in a CC chain; soulfire isn't our best DPS option.

So to answer the question, yes we use soulfire, but only in 1v1 situations and really only when we have the Succu out.

Quote Originally Posted by K4ge
    affliction is harder to play, at least most locks I know seem to think so.
    Well I'm no pro Warlock (apparently since I don't PvP as Affliction lol), but I find both Affliction and Destruction fairly easy to play though I think the timing with Destruction is more important and harder to master. Affliction is more difficult to play well but has more survivability, which I feel attracts a lot of players who aren't terribly good at the class.

That being said, there are of course amazing Affliction Warlocks just like there are epic players for every spec. But I've read and been told that at the really high arena ratings a good Destruction Warlock is equally as powerful and desired as Affliction. This is primarily because as you climb the arena ladder you'll see some really uncommon comps and Affliction is more consistent and reliable overall, though Destruction can put out a lot of dps and can work well for hard target switches.

But, on topic, as someone said above I don't think Soul Fire should ever be used by Affliction Warlocks as they have no talents to boost Fire damage. I'd expect Shadowbolt to hit for just about as hard with the Shadow damage from the tree.

Affliction is harder to master.

Quote Originally Posted by Proon
    Affliction is harder to master.
    Huh. I just don't get this as a Warlock. Affliction is so much easier for me to play but just isn't fun. I rarely die and kill people but it just doesn't have the utility I like I guess. I like to target someone and be able to kill them fast and move on to the next target. Affliction requires time to drain someone down and while you can multi-DoT you still need to focus one target.

I guess Affliction could be harder to master, but for me Destruction is much harder because you don't have your health bar ever going back up, so you have to be on top of your game with CC and escape mechanics! =D

Maybe I just have played my Warlock enough that Affliction isn't hard for me but for most people it is. I used to REALLY find it fun but then I discovered Destruction and fell in <3 with it. Also since I always use Affliction to level maybe that's why I'm not into it at end-game as I've worn it out haha.

Deleted

Short QQ-free answer:

No! Soulfire isnt used in arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkis2001
    Huh. I just don't get this as a Warlock. Affliction is so much easier for me to play but just isn't fun. I rarely die and kill people but it just doesn't have the utility I like I guess. I like to target someone and be able to kill them fast and move on to the next target. Affliction requires time to drain someone down and while you can multi-DoT you still need to focus one target.

I guess Affliction could be harder to master, but for me Destruction is much harder because you don't have your health bar ever going back up, so you have to be on top of your game with CC and escape mechanics! =D

Maybe I just have played my Warlock enough that Affliction isn't hard for me but for most people it is. I used to REALLY find it fun but then I discovered Destruction and fell in <3 with it. Also since I always use Affliction to level maybe that's why I'm not into it at end-game as I've worn it out haha.
    The idea being that you have a lot more to consider at top-level affliction arena. Simply dotting a few targets at 2.8k doesn't cut it.

Yes, but at top rated arena you see more Destro than at lower levels, which substantiates what I said earlier. Again, I'm not at these ratings, but my friends are and when you look through the teams at high ratings you'll see Destro holding it's own where at lower levels many are Affliction.

And of course there's more to simply DoT, DoT, Fear but that is the basic idea, regardless of skill level or arena bracket. =D If this is all it took for Affliction to win then they'd be even more OP than people are saying they are now!

I use Soulfire sometimes after I've seduced the opponent.

But usually it's just a waste of a shard.
    Hi

Yes, but at top rated arena you see more Destro than at lower levels, which substantiates what I said earlier. Again, I'm not at these ratings, but my friends are and when you look through the teams at high ratings you'll see Destro holding it's own where at lower levels many are Affliction.

And of course there's more to simply DoT, DoT, Fear but that is the basic idea, regardless of skill level or arena bracket. =D If this is all it took for Affliction to win then they'd be even more OP than people are saying they are now!
    Tbh at high ratings affliction is by far more popular than destruction
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

Yes, but at top rated arena you see more Destro than at lower levels, which substantiates what I said earlier.
    I'd actually disagree with that

a) I'd say affliction is generally more popular at sponsor levels
    b) Just because there's more of them doesn't mean they're easier to play, simply more viable (or at least more suited to the FotM setups)

Watch and Learn.

I don't care if it's TBC.

In tbc, I was SL/SL with a Fire mage as my 2's pard.

Horrible set up, I know, but we had fun and I never had to tolerate a resto druid, which I consider my natural born enemy.

Now in *those* days, depending on the situation... well, this is one of my favorite WoW memories ever.

We fight arms war/holy pally.

We kill arms warrior. Start working on pally.

Pally bubbles.

Without *speaking*, we both wait two seconds. I start hardcasting soulfire, the mage starts hardcasting pyroblast.

This is the only time I've ever seen someone flee in OUTRIGHT TERROR. This wasn't a "run away so I can heal" or "run while this comes off cd". This was a holy pally, in bubble, who saw us both casting soulfire and pyro, who stopped mid heal and ran the HELL away like a little kitten from from the neighborhood... well kitten poacher lets say.

It didn't help.
    But we didn't get to queue again for 10 mins because we were both doubled over laughing.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes i do but not just go with a straight off soulfire as its cast is too long but normally after the Chaos/Conflag combo you have backdraft proc for 3 quick spells, can be used to incinerate but if you have the target feared you can squeeze it in for some nice damage (hit 10-12ks in bgs yes i know it doesnt hit that high in arena but its still good damage).
    To the person who said Destro isnt played at high level in arena, it isnt normally affliction is chosen but..http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...pes&cn=Jamesyb one of the first in the world to get full wrathful and 2.5k rated and guess what :O Destro.

just had a though, i think when cata comes out, locks are going to be the masters of burst damage. WHy? cuz of soul burn. Think about it with ur succy out, immolate>incinerate>seduce>chaos bolt>shadowfury>soul burn>instant cast soul fire xD

i never used that spell ever

not in BC not in WOTLK and i didn't have a lock in vanilla

i don't see why anyone would use it in arena or bgs because you should be in afflic spec then anyway if you want to be effectiv
    and afflic can do better things than casting soulfire