Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

They slipped in a GAME CHANGER!

Class Mechanics
    Q: How will haste affect channeled spells. Will it be similar to DoTs and HoTs?
    A: They will channel faster but their duration will remain unchanged. You will get more ticks on the same cast.

If I am not mistaken this will mean our main filler Mind flay will now have a full 3 sec duration but have extra ticks due to haste. That is huge for game play and giving much more viability to Mind spike the new nuke when it will do about the same damage but only "root" you for 1.5 sec. This means when we can't afford to be stuck channeling a spell in one spot the alternative filler may be the new mind spike which we will now be able to cast 2 or more in the same time it will take to cast 1 mind flay. What do you guys think this will do to our rotations or game play?

Re: They slipped in a GAME CHANGER!

Your complaining about more damage for EVERYONE?

Please, it's good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

NO complaint just a new look at our understated new mechanics lol 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Articman
    Your complaining about more damage for EVERYONE?

Please, it's good!
    I didn't see a complaint. I think you should reread the original post.

OT: I think it's still too early to be talking about rotations and such. The beta is going to be when all that stuff gets figured out.

While I don't play a shadowpriest (warlock main) was thinking about our current affliction execute being a drain spell. I think overall it will be the same because we routinely interupt ours after ticks to refresh dots so I would assume this is the same for Priests. You "may" have to move during your channel for whatever reason but you should be getting the same ticks during that time as you would have if the duration was shortened.

Your "mind spike" spell may have a cooldown to prevent it from being a filler, or they may implement mind flay as an execute type spell so you have essentially one spell before 25% and one spell after to "nuke" with.

Remember when all this hits the beta they will see how viable the spells/changes really are.

For Wrath the warlock final talents in affliction got changed 3 times before they settled on one...(personally the aoe corruption dot should be implemented, no different than dk's spreading their diseases to all the targets)

This is pretty awesome IMO. Works for the best.
    I'm on hiatus. Waiting till summer/cataclysm to get back to my sexy orc warlock. You jealous!

I always been saying that haste should never be on gear, as it not only makes it hard to balance as makes rotations very lag sensitive, this change at least fixes the lag sensitive part, sounds good to me and makes a hell of a lot more sense.
    "I think some of our best class designs come out when a mediocre player can get X performance out of the class with a simple rotation, but an exceptional players can coax slightly > X damage by doing a more complex rotation." - Ghostcrawler
    Its official, there is no skill in wow nor is it designed to require it, stop wasting time reading/making guides and just face-roll, you will just do "slightly" less dps.

It does sound good in theory, just I am concerned about one point.
    Since the duration will remain fixed, and you can only get a fixed number of ticks then it means you have certain levels of haste to add another tick with less obvious benefit between them as far as I can see, short of lowering the gcd.
    The current system of shorter durations is an immediate benefit, but new will mean several haste caps almost, where as soon as you reach one which provides an extra tick, then you aim for the next to push in yet another.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account

MF will be worse. Now we don't have to worry about clipping one tick, but we can much more easily clip two.

Dumb.

Furthermore... a FOURTH Penance tick!

Quote Originally Posted by KageZetsumei
    I didn't see a complaint. I think you should reread the original post.
    I think its just normal to assume the OP is complaining about something

More arcane missiles YAY

This is an absolutely horrible change for shadowpriests, and possibly other casters. As it currently stands Mind Flay is a bad filler as it is a channeled spell therefore resulting in potential clipping from things such as latency and player ability. Introducing more ticks into Mind Flay means that we would do less dps due to less ticks overall, especially at points where your just before a tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix
    While I don't play a shadowpriest (warlock main) was thinking about our current affliction execute being a drain spell. I think overall it will be the same because we routinely interupt ours after ticks to refresh dots so I would assume this is the same for Priests. You "may" have to move during your channel for whatever reason but you should be getting the same ticks during that time as you would have if the duration was shortened.

Your "mind spike" spell may have a cooldown to prevent it from being a filler, or they may implement mind flay as an execute type spell so you have essentially one spell before 25% and one spell after to "nuke" with.

Remember when all this hits the beta they will see how viable the spells/changes really are.

For Wrath the warlock final talents in affliction got changed 3 times before they settled on one...(personally the aoe corruption dot should be implemented, no different than dk's spreading their diseases to all the targets)
    Mind Spike does not have a cooldown, it is a spammable short cast time nuke for bursting down targets.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted

I hope they give is a talent that gives mind spike +40% damage at under 30% or something, change the rotation up.

SW will be our execute Atleast they said so.

Quote Originally Posted by Weena2
    This is an absolutely horrible change for shadowpriests, and possibly other casters. As it currently stands Mind Flay is a bad filler as it is a channeled spell therefore resulting in potential clipping from things such as latency and player ability. Introducing more ticks into Mind Flay means that we would do less dps due to less ticks overall, especially at points where your just before a tick. following examples show current MF first, followed by the new MF. As you can see we get less ticks of MF in the new version even at optimal haste. By optimal I mean this is the exact point where we get an extra tick, if i was to use say 32% haste we would still be only at 3 ticks in 3seconds.

34% haste
    Mind flay length = 1.98 seconds
    Ticks = 3
    Tick per sec = 1.515 TPS

34% haste
    Mind flay length = 3seconds
    Ticks = 4
    Ticks per sec = 1.333 TPS

Example with extremely high haste:

67% haste
    Mind flay length = 0.99 seconds, round off to 1second for GCD cap
    Ticks = 3
    Tick per sec = 3 TPS

67% haste
    Mind flay length = 3seconds
    Ticks = 5
    Ticks per sec = 1.666 TPS

So basically it means two things in my opinion, one is this change is a nerf to our dps, and the second is that it would be worse than currently in terms of clipping due to the final tick being closer to where you end the spell. By queuing up at the wrong time due to latency/ player ability you can clip a tick much easier than currently.

I may be wrong but this is how I see it.
    Your calculations are wrong.

For MF to get a casttime of one second, you would not nead 67% haste, but 200% haste. You must have used some wrong formula.

34% Haste:

MF base 3 seconds
    MF hasted = base * 1/(1+34/100)=3/1.34=2.24
    TPS: 3/2.24=1.34, exactly the same as with the newer system.

The only problem i see is that the benefits of haste would get much more spiky, as someone above already said. For dots, that does not matter much, since you should be clipping them for a few splitseconds with the new system, meaning you also profit from the amount of time haste gets you nearer to the next imaginary tick which would be after the duration of the spell has expired, since you clip it, and extend the duration in this way.

But for channeled spells, this does not work, meaning that you only benefit from haste much when it would add another tick. Well, you could still stop the cast the moment the 3rd tick has finished, making it effectively the same as it is now.

This means that the change only gives you the possibility to channel for another tick, at least as soon as you have reached 34% of haste. Before that, you MF would simply channel for some extra time without doing any damage, making you resort even more to some addon that tells you exactly when the spell has ticked to cancel it and cast something else. As soon as you reach those 34% haste, you have the choice to either clip it after 3 ticks, or let it run through to the end, depending on situation. Meaning all the standard issues with MF will still be present, you simply get another option. This fixes nothing, but it also does not make anything worse.

Longer MF = more prone to Pushback / Interupts / Movement.

Basically a Huge PvP nerf, slight PvE Nerf

Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury
    MF will be worse. Now we don't have to worry about clipping one tick, but we can much more easily clip two.

Dumb.
    Or it could work the same way DoTs do, where if you recast it too soon it puts the duration back up to 3 seconds and the ticks keep happening as though it was one long cast. As for the PVP applications, the lockout issue should be less of a problem when we have Mind Spike since getting locked out of Shadow will let us still cast this.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury

Dumb.
    L2get [nochanneling] macros o: