how well can ret/frost mage work in 2s?

Im currently rated 1k in 2s with a frost mage. Im still a bit of a noob to arena, just want to know how far ppl have gotten using this setup if it can work.

Re: how well can ret/frost mage work in 2s?

Ret/frost is viable to high, seen 2,2k rated players, but it's not easy comp.
    http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1555110.jpg

As the poster above me said,the comp is viable for high rated arena(seen some above 2.2k on Blackout EU) but it will take a lot of skill to coordinate the cc/kill.

Its a really bad comp, the ret could do way better with a rogue / shaman and the mage with a rogue / priest / spriest.

I've been playing this comp in S6 up to about 2250, which was in the worldwide top 25 in pally/mage at this time according to arenajunkies.
    We had some potential to get further, but my mate tried to force me into speccing Protheal (Protheal with low hammer CD + arcane was really popular around that time) for easy gladi, which i refused so we stopped playing together.

I wouldn't consider myself a very good player, i usually make it to 2k-2.2k in ratings.
    As I stopped pretty soon after s7 started, i'm not fully up to date, but i guess the basic schemes still apply.
    Ret+Mage was probably the hardest comb i tried in wotlk (in 2s: ret+rogue/shaman/druid/mage) but also by far the one i enjoyed best.
    You have a pretty good reset with Iceblock and Bubble, you have a strong cc chain with counterspell, sheep (same dr as repentance, so you'll want to use sheep first and repentance just as a interrupt), hammer (same dr as deep freeze, so you'll use hammer first) and in our case twice the blood elf racial.
    Against 2*DD it's pretty much easymode. Don't allow them to reset. If they do, alright, you still have your own reset and can use theirs to heal yourself.
    Priest+Rogue was pretty easy too, just nuke the rogue. He'll die after vanish. There was one team in our battlegroup that regularly beat us, both of them, priest and rogue nuked me from the beginning, so we had a hard time putting any pressure on them.
    Druid+X countered us best, but we also had matches against ret+druid were i healed almost as much as the druid and still made more damage than their ret.

You really should try the comb, i loved it and was more successful in it than with a rogue or shaman. It just fitted my playstyle, hard to describe.

No MS effect kills, but the ret+frost burst can compare to rogue+mage.

I just see it as a Mage/Rogue with a loss of control and MS effect :O

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jubix
    No MS effect kills, but the ret+frost burst can compare to rogue+mage.

I just see it as a Mage/Rogue with a loss of control and MS effect :O
    Except frost mages do have a minor MS effect. Also how do you see it as a loss of control? Mages have an incredibly easy time controlling things; unless you are referring to the role of the rogue, in which case the paladins brings things like BoP and heals to the table. I don't really see how the two comps are really all that comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpzilla
    Except frost mages do have a minor MS effect. Also how do you see it as a loss of control? Mages have an incredibly easy time controlling things; unless you are referring to the role of the rogue, in which case the paladins brings things like BoP and heals to the table. I don't really see how the two comps are really all that comparable.
    I will correct myself. I did not mean that they are the same, but merely similar in strat as its lulzerg hard switch CC.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Gotcha. I'll agree with that. The more I've been playing my mage lately though it seems that almost is the nature of the game. Sheep one target, DPS other. If that target isn't dead when she is on DR switch to the other target. I must admit it is a fun change of pace from playing my warrior as I tend to tunnel more and actually have to worry about applying MS.

Ret/mage can be played... in fact ive played it to 2k in every season since s2.. but like others have said its prob the hardest comp a ret can play.
    Shhh im typing this to u on my i phone on the toilet at work

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpzilla
    Gotcha. I'll agree with that. The more I've been playing my mage lately though it seems that almost is the nature of the game. Sheep one target, DPS other. If that target isn't dead when she is on DR switch to the other target. I must admit it is a fun change of pace from playing my warrior as I tend to tunnel more and actually have to worry about applying MS.
    Yea, i played mage in BC and most comps involve hard switches with poly on the other target. I miss setting the pace of the match /nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Castif
    Ret/mage can be played... in fact ive played it to 2k in every season since s2.. but like others have said its prob the hardest comp a ret can play.
    ret/boomkin go.