Think I messed up my professions...enh

Hello all.

I have been gearing up my shaman over the past few weeks and managed to get 3p T10 for my enhance set and saving up for my 4th bit (helm) and have a mark in my bags fort hat time.

Anyways I have got Blacksmithing and Engineering for professions but now that I have replaced my T9 gloves with a VoA 25 lucky drop I'm finding myself hurting for expertise and having to gem for it alot more. Now I'm looking at Jewelcrafting dragon's eyes to get 34 expertise per gem in the BS prismatic slots (gloves, wrist and belt) to cover most of my current expertise needs. However would it be worth dropping Engineering for? I'm finding i'm not able to throw out the bombs every CD, sometimes up to 10-15 seconds before I notice they are off CD. It all adds up and I feel I'm loosing out here (glove enchant is bound to SR which is popped every CD).

Now I know the response is simply 'sim it' but this isn't really for a DPS boost, but an 'ease of use' type situation due to the flexibility of having BS sockets + dragon's eye cuts for the flexibility they both offer in conjunction.

Money isn't really a factor regarding this also.

Here is my armory:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...xis&cn=Gigaton

I have bad luck on weapon and chest drops currently I seem to get outrolled by a 2!

Re: Think I messed up my professions...enh

Well i have JC/engineering myself, but if i were you i woudnt change prof for that. You just have 40exp from BS slots and well, i have around the same with JC. As shaman i would never drop engineering simply becouse its awesome. nitro boost, the hyperspeed+SR, and sometimes bombs, even that i am not using them so much.

I would say. keep your proffesions.

You should have more then enough gemslots in your gear to cap expertise, even without JC gems. So, in the end it would maybe be cheaper to adjust if your gear changes with JC, but changing the profession would be way more expensive then any money you might safe until the end of the expansion.

Levelling JC will probably cost you about 3kg, more or less depending on server etc.... For 3kg, at least on my server, you can get about 15 cut epic gems. With these, you can do a lot of swapping if your gear changes. And adjusting with JC would not even be totally free. And for the ease of use, i do not believe it is significantly easier to buy dragons eyes and craft them into what you need, then to buy what gem you need from the AH.

And Nitro boosts rock.

yeah was just a thought really after seeing several enh shamans on my server with it and going for the expertise gems and getting more 40 AP/20 Haste gems in the same gear.

Guess I'll just stay with what I have and enjoy rocket boots to run down people in PvP and bombs to finish off those annoying disengaging hunters with 1k health left.

Deleted

Orcs can exp exp with only 3 Dragon gems. I think with any other profession you'll need 5 gemslots.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMGC
    Orcs can exp exp with only 3 Dragon gems. I think with any other profession you'll need 5 gemslots.
    It's actually funny how many think like that, just due to EnhSim giving so high value to expertise if it's not capped. But using common sense, and calculating benefits actually is better sometimes than just "simming".

Let's assume all gems in your gear are haste and expertise, be it jc or not. Now, you gem all your expertise from JC gems, giving you 32x3=96 rating, making you 3 rating off the cap, but let's not go there, since in BiS ToGC gear Enhancement shaman was 2 rating under cap as well. In exchange, you gain 2x20haste gems instead of expertise gems.
    Now, let's get the expertise from normal gems. So 5x20 expertise gems, making you 1 rating overcapped, so little it doesn't matter, and you gain (34-20)x3=42 extra haste from the JC gems.
    So, not only does JC expertise gems make you slightly undercapped, they also make you lose 2 haste rating in exchange. Tho, the situation ofc isn't the same with BiS gear, in which you take some of the socket bonuses with different gems. But, you got the point.

Also, pointing it to OP, keep your own professions, not only does engineer bring you a lot of useful things, it's not much behind JC, if at all. Also, the point I made above also applies to JC gemming on other races than Orc, just that the end values will be different due to needing to put a few extra normal expertise gems, but you'll still be wasting some of the rating value of those JC expertise gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden

Let's assume all gems in your gear are haste and expertise, be it jc or not. Now, you gem all your expertise from JC gems, giving you 32x3=96 rating, making you 3 rating off the cap, but let's not go there, since in BiS ToGC gear Enhancement shaman was 2 rating under cap as well. In exchange, you gain 2x20haste gems instead of expertise gems.
    the dragons eye expertise gems are 34 a piece which would put you at 102, 3 rating over cap for those with the orc racial. IMO best course of action is 5 20 exp gems used to meet socket bonuses as needed. Keep your professions i know it feels bad to be gemming exp, but its really is the best way to go about it with ICC gear.

Deleted

Incorrect. I'm an Orc JC and I have my 26 expertise using only 3 Dragon gems.

When playing enhancement you really have to forget what feels good and what feels bad and just go with what actually is the best thing to do. This is especially true with gemming. Many people seem to think gemming a lot of exp is bad when in fact even our BiS gear has 0 expertise from gear only. This leads to people taking subpar items like the ring from Festergut (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50025) when in fact the ring from Marrowgar (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49949) is almost always superior. Other thing what people do is to gem expertise with jewelcrafting gems which almost always leads to going over the exp cap.

To the op - don't lose your professions, they are almost perfect. With jewelcrafting you would only get two more haste (assuming you get to keep all the socket bonuses) so in the end it's really not worth it.
    The game rounds the number in the character screen down but you are also 3 rating over the cap.

cant say it often enough it seems.

nothing bad about socketing expertise AT ALL

slap 7 exp-gems into your sockets and stop worrying about the stat.

if you want to maximise your dmg output, go jc/engi. if you´re simply thinking about changing professions because of expertise, it´s not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

you are very wrong here assuming you gem haste you choose either 102 expertise (2 over cap) or 102 haste + the best solution you get tud of your red sockets with ap/haste so in general it's quite a bit moar haste and min maxing is all about that

Quote Originally Posted by Butu
    When playing enhancement you really have to forget what feels good and what feels bad and just go with what actually is the best thing to do. This is especially true with gemming. Many people seem to think gemming a lot of exp is bad when in fact even our BiS gear has 0 expertise from gear only. This leads to people taking subpar items like the ring from Festergut (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50025) when in fact the ring from Marrowgar (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49949) is almost always superior. Other thing what people do is to gem expertise with jewelcrafting gems which almost always leads to going over the exp cap.

To the op - don't lose your professions, they are almost perfect. With jewelcrafting you would only get two more haste (assuming you get to keep all the socket bonuses) so in the end it's really not worth it.The game rounds the number in the character screen down but you are also 3 rating over the cap.
    The ring from rotface is still better than gemming expertise if you still dont have the heroic ring from marrowgar.
    Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by KassieDS
    The ring from rotface is still better than gemming expertise if you still dont have the heroic ring from marrowgar.
    I've simmed this so many times with different gearsets and I've always came to the conclusion that Band of the Bone Colossus is better even if you were hit capped without it; however if you could give me your armory link I would be happy to prove myself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bitrix
    the dragons eye expertise gems are 34 a piece which would put you at 102, 3 rating over cap for those with the orc racial. IMO best course of action is 5 20 exp gems used to meet socket bonuses as needed. Keep your professions i know it feels bad to be gemming exp, but its really is the best way to go about it with ICC gear.
    Bleh, that's what you get from posting at that hour...Oh well my other argument still stands, since the extra 2 expertise rating are worth nothing, whereas extra 2 haste are at least worth something ;p