Shadow Priest DPS Problems

Hello, I've just started playing my shadowpriest as I have had played my enhancement shaman for some time now, but sometimes my guild needs me to log my shadowpriest, but I'm having some DPS problems. Before I started my shaman, my DPS was even better than it is now, and I had worse gear back then (Ulduar gear), and I only managed 4,5k dps on Heroic Training Dummy. Here's a link to my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...yon&cn=Conkrus

I'm always having VT, Devouring Plague and SW:P up ticking, and burning Mind Blast when it's off cooldown, and when there's not anything else to do, I'll just MF, yet I only managed 4,5k on dummies. Any tips? Would be very much appreciated.

Re: Shadow Priest DPS Problems

Let's see...

First of all, I would recommend going over the Shadow DPS 101 Sticky very carefully. It has all of the information about rotations and talent spec, so I won't bother repeating it here. Now, as for your gear, you are about 100 Hit Rating over the cap, you could do with replacing the Ward of the Violet Citadel with Shriveled Heart and your Haste rating is very low, it is one of the best stars for Shadow so grab it where you can.

I would also recommend Nevermelting Ice Crystal from Heroic PoS, the 30% crit will stay on Shadow Word: Pain for an entire boss fight if you keep it refreshed.
    As for Addons, I use ForteXorcist to track my DoTs, and Quartz to track Mind Flay ticks.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Pretty sure I read 800 haste is the softcap for shadow. :/

Predicting damage - the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Minia
    Pretty sure I read 800 haste is the softcap for shadow. :/
    There is no soft caps for shadow, I really do not know where you're getting that info...

There used to be, before our DoTs scaled with haste you wanted enough to be able to get off 2 full Mind Flays between Mind Blast. Now days, it's almost as good as straight Spellpower, do the more the better generally.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Drop some hit, get some haste.
    Replace Sundial with Abyssal Rune from TotC5 normal (Not Nevermelting Ice Crystal), get Shriveled Heart, don't ever use Nightmare Tear.
    Download an AddOn to track your DoTs.

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    There is no soft caps for shadow, I really do not know where you're getting that info...
    Of course there are soft caps. The main ones are just so high that no one cares, or completely unobtainable, or so low that you can completely ignore it.

GCD cap w/ Lust = 220
    GCD cap w/ Pot = 769
    GCD cap = 1269
    MF cap w/ Lust + Pot = 2052
    MF cap = 4301

Good luck on those last ones. Hard cap is somewhere up around 30,000 haste so... not gunna happen. 1269 is about the only point you might want to consider stopping. It can cause problems with WoW's spell queue system if you drop under the haste cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscrub
    I'm always having VT, Devouring Plague and SW:P up ticking, and burning Mind Blast when it's off cooldown, and when there's not anything else to do, I'll just MF
    You pretty much stated right there how a shadowpriest works, its up to you to actually perfect this in order to increase your dps.