High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Quitting mining, what to choose?

I'm a PvE-guy, and my professions are Mining and JC at the moment. Mining gives me insane amounts of gold, but it gimps my performance in raids. Having Crusader Aura and a 310% mount makes farming very efficient for me, but it's time to remove mining for something that boosts my performance in PvE.

I've been thinking about BS and Enchanting, and I'm not sure which one is the cheapest to level up to 450. Also, I don't know how easy/cheap Inscription is to level.

That's why I'm asking for help here. I'm currently at 22k gold if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Quitting mining, what to choose?

For buffing your character you should go for BS. But if you want to make more money and arena buff go Alchemist. Also saves you a lot of gold because flask last longer.
    Main shaman: Shaman Alt Paladin: Paladin
    Alt lvl 73 mage: Mage Alt lvl 70 Death knight: Death Knight
    Random dungeon project: Druid Battleground project: Rogue
    Worgen project: Warlock Future alt: Hunter

If you're already a jewel crafter going with alchemy will be awesome. I did it after being a miner/jc but after checking the auction hall recently and seeing prices on low level herbs so high. It may take forever to reap the benefits if your server is anything like mine. And obviously go with transmute spec as soon as you get to 450.

I just spent around 5k gold leveling enchanting. It would be the cheapest to level if you were doing JC and Enchanting at the same time. If you are looking to increase your crit, then level Skinning. I'm pretty sure it's the easiest to level!
    JC and Enchanting imo are the cheapest to powerlevel regardless if you don't do them at the same time. around 11k would be spent on both.

Keeping your Jc and picking up BS will give you the best item bonuses, but inscription you actually make money leveling it. Enchanting and BS are huge gold sinks if you buy all the mats.

15+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't listen to any of these comments. Almost every profession offers the same value of stat, so you should instead look at what the other benefits of the professions is. I prefer jewelcrafting and enchanting, because they give me SP like the other professions (JC gives like 1 more than the other, but the other stay at the same) and they make me less dependent of others when getting new gear when gemming and enchanting. But look at this information overview and calculate what benefits you most stat wise, and then choose what you personally prefer:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/professions/professions-overview-(work-in-progress)/

Just minus the profession value from the normal value.

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    I wouldn't listen to any of these comments. Almost every profession offers the same value of stat, so you should instead look at what the other benefits of the professions is. I prefer jewelcrafting and enchanting, because they give me SP like the other professions (JC gives like 1 more than the other, but the other stay at the same) and they make me less dependent of others when getting new gear when gemming and enchanting. But look at this information overview and calculate what benefits you most stat wise, and then choose what you personally prefer:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/professions/professions-overview-(work-in-progress)/

Just minus the profession value from the normal value.
    Jc and Bs definetly provide better bonuses in most cases.(the only exceptions are the classes who want pure sp stam or ap). Being able to pick what stat your profession bonus gives you is huge for someone trying to min/max.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Conquestaxe
    Jc and Bs definetly provide better bonuses in most cases.(the only exceptions are the classes who want pure sp stam or ap). Being able to pick what stat your profession bonus gives you is huge for someone trying to min/max.
    I thought enchanting was covering more stat areas. Anyway, if those stats (spell power, stamina or armor penetration) were anyway what she/he needed, then I still think enchanting would be as good as blacksmithing, and therefor better to suggest both instead of only blacksmithing.

Its attackpower, not armor penetration.

And i believe that both rets and holys do not stack SP or AP, but int and strength, thus making JW/BS superior to other professions. He probably is no prot, since then he would not have to drop mining.

If you already have JC and mining, logically BS would be the best choice.

-JC's 3 extra gems slot nicely into the two extra gem slots BS provides.
    -With full mining, you can go ahead and get the mats to level BS before you drop it.

It depends a lot on your role and class.

Things to keep in mind: Inscription is -bad- for a tank.
    Your bonuses are on your shoulders, and it's all dodge budget.
    So, you're out ~60 stam already. Compare further to using the gladiator shoulder chant, you're out another 30 stamina. That is a pretty significant EH gap for a tank.

For any plate DPS, you're looking at AP unless you take JC/BS. AP is inferior to strength, certainly, but the gap isn't so huge that I'd let it dominate the decision.

Engineering is a lot of fun. If you want to go with it, investigate whether the haste is good for your class. The rocket is ok dps no matter the spec, since can in theory provide something extra to do when out of range or moving. The haste can be very good or just meh.

Also, consider: This may all be going out the window in Cata. What applies now may be completely changed.

Every profession offers about equal bonuses except skinning/herbalism which offer nothing. If you tank Id keep mining because BS makes 0 gold and mining has same stamina bonus that 2 extra gem slots would offer.

Deleted

You guys didnt reliase that blizzard has made almost every prof to give the same amount of bonuses? The diferense is 1-2 points, so i would say - level enchating, its better then BS, maybe cheaper then BS, and you can make decent money with it. If you're not from the LFW guys, you can always make/sell scrolls. Also you can farm heroics, to get the mats needed and make ench scrolls and sell them on AH etc. Main point is - enchanting gives the same amount of bonuses like BS, but can give you some extra cash

Quote Originally Posted by ohnztad
    I'm a PvE-guy, and my professions are Mining and JC at the moment. Mining gives me insane amounts of gold, but it gimps my performance in raids. Having Crusader Aura and a 310% mount makes farming very efficient for me, but it's time to remove mining for something that boosts my performance in PvE.

I've been thinking about BS and Enchanting, and I'm not sure which one is the cheapest to level up to 450. Also, I don't know how easy/cheap Inscription is to level.

That's why I'm asking for help here. I'm currently at 22k gold if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
    if you want to get as much dps as possible go BS / LW for the chants

I like how people would ditch something they're happy with, for something for a trivial buff in DPS. I bet non-clothies would pick up Tailoring if it gave 2 DPS more than other professions.