Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is mandatory for WoD raiding?

You are free to play however you want, nothing is really mandatory.
    However, why not opt into choices which improve your raid performance (more healing, Damage, Survivability) vs those who don't.

This is what I found:

-Enchants for your Gear
    -Flaks, food, Potions
    -Garrison Buildings for Gear and Asphexis Crystals = Valor
    -Health Tonics (Crafted by First Aid or purchased from the Auction House) - Heal more than Healthstoens or Potions and have an own Cooldown category.
    -Racials for some Specs. (Racials are closer now, but some are still worth more, such as Crit Racial for Fire Mages > Haste Racial, or Crit Damage Racials are better than others for Specs with Guaranteed Critical Attacks such as Frost DK, Destruction Warlock, Elemental Shaman etc. There are also Racials which benefit Tanks so you are better off picking a Race which has them vs. a Race which does not, like Nelf awards 2% Dodge vs. Worgen which gives nothing in terms of survivability)
    -Weekly bonus Loot quest - Thanks, Zenway

Now it is your, the MMO Champions', turn to enhance this list. Maybe some aspects were forgotten or became obsolete by now.
    Last edited by Fincher; 2014-09-28 at 08:12 PM.
    Capitalism, Ho!

What a great way to see how preparing for raiding works.
    I think if we also brought 9 or 19 of our friends would be innovative.
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

I don't see gems on this list

A computor and electricity, and spare time. (Which most people don't seem to have anymore nowadays according to all the whining).

Skill.....welllllll...on some level at least
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    However, why not opt into choices which improve your raid performance (more healing, Damage, Survivability) vs those who don't.

This is what I found:

-Enchants for your Gear
    -Flaks, food, Potions
    -Garrison Buildings for Gear and Asphexis Crystals = Valor
    -First Aid Profession(Tonics heal more then Heal Potions or Healthstones)
    -Racials for some Specs. (Racials are closer now, but some are still worth more, such as Crit Racial for Fire Mages > Haste Racial, or Crit Damage Racials are better than others for Specs with Guaranteed Critical Attacks such as Frost DK, Destruction Warlock, Elemental Shaman etc. There are also Racials which benefit Tanks so you are better off picking a Race which has them vs. a Race which does not, like Nelf awards 2% Dodge vs. Worgen which gives nothing in terms of survivability)

Now it is your, the MMO Champions', turn to enhance this list. Maybe some aspects were forgotten or became obsolete by now.
    Played in a pro raiding guild for two expansions. Never used First Aid, never used potions in combat.

Pvp gear offers a viable route for gearing up for pve early on. The gladiator gear is 660 pve/690 pvp so just below Highmaul heroic in quality. Picking up a pvp piece or two for slots where you have bad gear is a good idea, especially since Highmaul doesn't have gear for every slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Samiran View Post
    No shit, Sherlock.

I'm pretty convinced outside of mythic the only things you'll need to raid is four hot keys and a computer.
    "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!"

Quote Originally Posted by Taneo View Post
    I'm pretty convinced outside of mythic the only things you'll need to raid is four hot keys and a computer.
    yeah, it's ok that I am using 31 spell on 90% of boss fights, I should be using more, why ability pruning?

Quote Originally Posted by Samiran View Post
    I count all permanent gear enhancements as Enchants, including Gems, Belt Buckle, Leg Armor, Shoulder Inscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravasi View Post
    Played in a pro raiding guild for two expansions. Never used First Aid, never used potions in combat.
    As said is free world, people can do what they want. I remember someone bragging to be in World's best Logs as a NightElf healer despite Nelfs having no racial bonuses which improve healing. But when you could use potions to get effortless Boost of Damage (DPS), Healing or Armor (Tank), or HPS/Mana(Healer) why would you not.

Quote Originally Posted by IplayHorde View Post
    What a great way to see how preparing for raiding works.
    I think if we also brought 9 or 19 of our friends would be innovative.
    The mocking part with picture I get but as for the text: don't know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by Fincher; 2014-09-30 at 03:04 PM.
    Capitalism, Ho!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravasi View Post
    You wouldn't want to use healing potions in combat ever since they made all potions share a one-per-fight cooldown. However in WoD healing potions (now called tonics) will have a separate cooldown from potions, instead sharing a cooldown with healthstones.

That said, first aid itself still won't be mandatory because you can just buy healing tonics off the AH if you need them.

The mocking part with picture I get but as for the text: don't know what you are talking about.
    Most of your list is so obvious that what he means is: For WoD raiding mandatory are other players to fill your raid :>

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Most of your list is so obvious that what he means is: For WoD raiding mandatory are other players to fill your raid :>
    I think the purpose of the post was to see what ELSE is needed, besides the obvious (listing the obvious to make those posts unnecessary). That seemed pretty obvious, but I figured I would point it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    I think there are some significant Changes in WoD, such as having to bring Healing Tonics & doing stuff in your Garrison being added, or having primary professions being removed.

Racials changed also and are very close to each other so only mandatory for certain Specs or Talent choices( f.ex. Kindling) (instead of now where for Example Troll is best for all Casters )

If all those are so obvious to you then feel free to enlighten us with other (for you) trivial aspects of Raid minmaxing.
    Last edited by Fincher; 2014-09-28 at 07:12 PM.
    Capitalism, Ho!

Of course you can choose whatever you want. However, there are certain things that you Must have. If you don't, no one is going to take you to a raid. If they do, don't expect to get anywhere near the last boss.

-Enchants for your Gear: This is one of those things. If you do not have these, don't expect to raid anything beyond LFR. If by a miracle you get into a raid, once they inspect you your gone. Defiantly don't expect a full clear unless you are paying.

-Flaks, food, Potions: Not required. Can honestly get by without these. They are pretty required though in organized raiding among guilds who are progressing.

-Garrison Buildings for Gear and Asphexis Crystals = Valor:Not required in the least. Beyond the initial gearing process, useless. Unless you can manage to build the materials fast enough to get the gear before a piece in raid drops for you. Then it depends on optimization. There where times when crafted or Valor gear looked awesome, but raid gear is often times a lot better. Especially if the crafted or valor comes at the cost of a tier slot.

-First Aid Profession(Tonics heal more then Heal Potions or Healthstones):Not required in the least. Bandages are unusable in a raid realistically since they can be canceled by any damage taken, and you are staying still while using them. Tonics do not appear to require first aid to use. So this shouldn't even be on the list. First aid is of no requirement even by a min/max perspective as long as tonics do not require first aid to use.
    http://wod.wowhead.com/item=109223

-Racials for some Specs. (Racials are closer now, but some are still worth more, such as Crit Racial for Fire Mages > Haste Racial, or Crit Damage Racials are better than others for Specs with Guaranteed Critical Attacks such as Frost DK, Destruction Warlock, Elemental Shaman etc. There are also Racials which benefit Tanks so you are better off picking a Race which has them vs. a Race which does not, like Nelf awards 2% Dodge vs. Worgen which gives nothing in terms of survivability): Not required unless you wish to min/max. The racial bonuses are so small they really don't help in the long run. Defiantly wont be yelling at someone for having the "wrong race" for there class.

-Weekly bonus Loot quest - Thanks, Zenway: Only required providing you still need loot. Once you get a good piece of gear for a slot, tokens are just annoying. These are more of a quality of life thing.

My own

-Gems: Provided your gear can use them, these again, are pretty mandatory in order to be taken to anything outside of LFR.

-Repair money: Required. If you cannot repair your gear to use said gear, you will not remain in raid.

-Knowing your class: If you can't even play well enough to survive, heal, or dps to the levels you need, you'll probably be removed.

Over all, again, while you can do what ever you want, there are things that are expected and are required if you wish to raid beyond LFR. Especially when you're in a guild. No guild will take a raider who has no gems, no enchants, and sometimes no flasks. The only places you Might be able to raid without gems and enchants are pugs. Just don't expect them to get far if they are not even requiring That much.

- - - Updated - - -

I think there are some significant Changes in WoD, such as having to bring Healing Tonics & doing stuff in your Garrison being added, or having primary professions being removed.

Racials changed also and are very close to each other so only mandatory for certain Specs or Talent choices( f.ex. Kindling) (instead of now where for Example Troll is best for all Casters )

If all those are so obvious to you then feel free to enlighten us with other (for you) trivial aspects of Raid minmaxing.
    Honestly, everything you said is trivial for min/maxing only. Racials don't make a dent, garrisons certainly wont make me get in just for my raiding, and tonics are not required if a warlock is handy.

Racials are not now, nor ever have been mandatory beyond the smallest amount of min/maxing for that few 100 points of dps.

Keep in mind that gem sockets will be a lot more rare in WoD. When you're just getting into raiding, you probably won't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post

-Enchants for your Gear: This is one of those things. If you do not have these, don't expect to raid anything beyond LFR. If by a miracle you get into a raid, once they inspect you your gone. Defiantly don't expect a full clear unless you are paying.

-Flaks, food, Potions: Not required. Can honestly get by without these. They are pretty required though in organized raiding among guilds who are progressing.
    That is a weird view. Why do you believe some permanent buffs are mandatory but not others?

Example: Best Enchant except Weapons right now is Wrists for +180 stats while Flask gives +1000 stats, food +300. Potions give +4000 Stats during the Burst phase where Classes do Triple to Quintuple of their total their DPS.

-First Aid Profession(Tonics heal more then Heal Potions or Healthstones):Not required in the least. Bandages are unusable in a raid realistically since they can be canceled by any damage taken, and you are staying still while using them. Tonics do not appear to require first aid to use. So this shouldn't even be on the list. First aid is of no requirement even by a min/max perspective as long as tonics do not require first aid to use.
    That is correct, will update the list. Health Tonics are still required though as you get an extra free heal.

Not required unless you wish to min/max. The racial bonuses are so small they really don't help in the long run. Defiantly wont be yelling at someone for having the "wrong race" for there class.
    They do help especially in the long run. On a single fight it does not matter if you crit a few times more for example but on the long run you are bound to have a few close calls where it matters. In my opinion roughly comparable to a single Item enchant.

-Weekly bonus Loot quest - Thanks, Zenway: Only required providing you still need loot. Once you get a good piece of gear for a slot, tokens are just annoying. These are more of a quality of life thing.
    I think you will always still need loot in WoD because of the chance for improved Items Your post mentioned the following:

-Gems: Provided your gear can use them, these again, are pretty mandatory in order to be taken to anything outside of LFR.
    Bonus Roll can award an Item with additional Gem socket (among other bonuses such as improved ilvl or movespeed)

-Garrison Buildings for Gear and Asphexis Crystals = Valor:Not required in the least.
    Garrison awards chance of Loot for better_than_your_current_difficulty. That is only not required if you clear Mythic in Week 2 and get all Items in every slot.

Note: I left some awkward or hardly relevant methods out such as Kafa Press, Headless Horseman's Slicer, Tarec'Gosa Staff Ruby Hare etc.
    Last edited by Fincher; 2014-09-28 at 08:19 PM.
    Capitalism, Ho!

Who would require optimal racials?
    I would require the person requiring it to pay for my race change.
    Beyond expansions and sub fee i refuse to spend an extra penny on WoW.
    (Well I suppose I built a powerful gaming desktop, and have a mouse, keyboard and headset all with WoW in mind(and other games))
    But still.