The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Feral-cat or boomkin

I was just curious which is better dps at 80. i am now a feral cat and able to pull 3.5k dps for about 2min and im in blues and a few epics. just wondering how boomkin dps would fare against feral in about the same item lvl of gear.

Re: Feral-cat or boomkin

In my view, they're about the same right now. Feral might be just a hair better though depending on if you can master the rotations... which just got easier in the last patch .
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayron
    Read the link. Quit talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Plaincow
    just wondering how boomkin dps would fare against feral in about the same item lvl of gear.
    A lot of it will depend on the nature of the fight (target switching, movement requirements, etc), and what range ilvl gear you're looking at. Early on (200'sh blues/early purples) you're going to have to spec into some of the regen talents for boomkin or face some mana issues, so will be at a bit more of a disadvantage than ferals in that respect. Both will be far from hitting their respective caps (haste/crit softcaps for balance, crit/arp for kitty). By the time you hit ToC+ gearing (basically once you've done a fair amount of badge grinding), you'll be pushing competitive dps as moonkin, with the recent Starfall buff - though generally speaking, you'd probably still do more damage overall as kitty.

In short, play the one you enjoy more. If it's a toss-up for you, go with that lets your gear more easily map over to your intended off-spec (balance w/ resto, feral kitty w/ bear).

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Might be about the same with trees and the starfall buff... balance is sick damage, tho I've never raided in wrath as feral...

Pick whichever you end up enjoying more. Both do good enough damage to compete for raid spots.

From what I've heard, mastering feral cat rotations are the key to doing well with them. As for my own personal opinion, I found it much easier to press 2 buttons and be awesome as a boomkin

In comparable gear, however, I've seen cats pull 600-900 more DPS than me. Whether that's experience or what, I'm not sure.

In the end, try them both out and do what you enjoy: melee or ranged.

Deleted

It really depends on what you want to play as. Would you really pick feral to do a few hundred more DPS, when you really want to play a caster? And vice versa.

Moonkins are doing quite well after the latest patch, and are very capable of keeping up with the rest of a raid group. I can't speak for cats, but thats probably much the same.

Pick what you prefer