Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Petiton to ban gearscore addon

GearScore addon isn't a bad thing, and doesn't say all, it's just a simple and fast way to know your stuff.

When a man doesn't have gs, he inspects you and the sentence is the same, wft your are blue ! or your stuff is a little short.

The only problem I see, are people who ask 6k5 gs to pug icc25. addon isn't a bad thing, it's people who are idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Renivus

Now if you really wanted to complain about something halfway concrete. Blame Recount. If the addon had never existed, nobody would know if you were pulling your weight or not.
    Recount is a great tool for a raid leader to determine who needs to step it up, whether you're in a pug VoA 25 or a ICC 25 with your guild

Quote Originally Posted by darktanker
    GearScore addon isn't a bad thing, and doesn't say all, it's just a simple and fast way to know your stuff.

When a man doesn't have gs, he inspects you and the sentence is the same, wft your are blue ! or your stuff is a little short.

The only problem I see, are people who ask 6k5 gs to pug icc25. addon isn't a bad thing, it's people who are idiot.
    No, when non-retarded people inspect and see a blue trinket, they don't think "gtfo", they check gems, achievements and enchants along with if specced properly instead of just looking at the itemlevel. I don't know who you are or where you play, but I certainly hope you are not a raid leader on my realm if you see a blue item on a player that is #1 damage done on everything in ICC25 pugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo
    Guns and Nuclear weapons aren't bad. It is only the people who use them that are bad.

Oh wait, guns and nuclear weapons are bad, i lied.
    if you want to make a parallel, you should think something good, but that can turn bad if abused.
    like car, good for travelling, bad if used for street races.
    like beer, good for party, bad if someone drive drunk.
    like gs, good for check gear, bad if ... what? what is wrong in checking gear?

10+ Year Old Account

why do people put such a bad name to GS?
    does anybody know that if you are within inspection range of smeone, you can type /gs while targeting them to see any major flaws with their gear (missing enchants, resil, useless stats, ect...) as well as how much raid experience theyve had?
    when used right, gearscore is an incredibly helpful tool when trying to pug something if you are willing to put the time into it. the only reason people whine about gearscore is either cuz they have terrible gear or are too lazy to use it correctly.

i understand that gearscore does not measure skill but it measures potential output. its possible for someone with a 4k gs to out dps someone with a 6k gs but its impossible for a 4k gs to pull 10k dps while it is quite possible for someone with a 6k gs to do that (although it still requires skill)

if you use gearscore right, its a very helpful tool so stop bitching

----------------------------------------
    you are now consciously breathing
    ----------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by fapjackmasta
    why do people put such a bad name to GS?
    does anybody know that if you are within inspection range of smeone, you can type /gs while targeting them to see any major flaws with their gear (missing enchants, resil, useless stats, ect...) as well as how much raid experience theyve had?
    when used right, gearscore is an incredibly helpful tool when trying to pug something if you are willing to put the time into it. the only reason people whine about gearscore is either cuz they have terrible gear or are too lazy to use it correctly.

i understand that gearscore does not measure skill but it measures potential output. its possible for someone with a 4k gs to out dps someone with a 6k gs but its impossible for a 4k gs to pull 10k dps while it is quite possible for someone with a 6k gs to do that (although it still requires skill)

if you use gearscore right, its a very helpful tool so stop bitching
    Yes, 20% of the RLs do that. 80% of the other people aren't. They just mouseover the player, see the number "5200" and say "sry too low for toc10", they don't even KNOW about the /gs command, they don't even know that you can see the amount of experience in a dungeon or anything. Hell, I've even been declined for ICC10 on my 5400 GS shammy when I've got 11/12 in 25 on it and Kingslayer 25 man title on my main. That's how bad it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by saeros
    like gs, good for check gear, bad if ... what? what is wrong in checking gear?
    The problem is, many don't actually use gearscore to check gear, they only check the number. Somebody could have a nearly 5.5k score, but be wearing garbage, and somebody with a 4.9k score with appropriate gear with correct itemization will absolutely do more. I found a hunter the other day with two (TWO!) 128 hit trinkets, both of the ilvl 245 trinkets, Mark of Suprem. and Shard of the Crystal Heart from badge venders, when a greatness card and a mirror of truth would have served him better. But those trinkets are ilvl 200, and far lower gearscore, so he didn't choose them. This idiot hunter was at over 600 hit rating, because he thought gearscore knew best. And the saddest thing is, a RL that is basing things off of that number alone will ALSO assume GS knows best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpoof
    No, when non-retarded people inspect and see a blue trinket, they don't think "gtfo", they check gems, achievements and enchants along with if specced properly instead of just looking at the itemlevel. I don't know who you are or where you play, but I certainly hope you are not a raid leader on my realm if you see a blue item on a player that is #1 damage done on everything in ICC25 pugs.
    it's your liberty to do icc25, but it's also our liberty to do the other boss, actually good pug make 9-11boss, it take a lot of time to stuff people, it's a step in the stuffleveling, I like helping people but it's not possible to take blue people on lk ...
    They want stuffs? the begin raid as everyone with an average raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann
    Also, Gearscore in itself is not bad. People consulting it like it's some sort of holy text are the ones giving it a bad name.
    So, the solution is quite simple:

Petition to ban people!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Simbert
    So, the solution is quite simple:

Petition to ban people!
    Sounds about right in my misanthropic ears. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kpoof
    If that would be the case, he wouldn't be so incredibly retarded to just make a sum of the itemlevel, but do factor in gems, enchants, achievements that would supply the sum of the gear, just like wow-heroes does. All the GS does is take ilevel and sum it up. So yeah, I dont' think he thought it through at all to be honest.....
    It's definitely not perfect (personally, I do like how WoW heroes works). But I don't know the extent of his knowledge of programming Mods. It may have been a lack of know how or maybe a technical issue . Anyways, I don't believe it was ever meant to be as popular as it is. I thought I'd heard it mentioned it was originally for his guild to use and he just threw it on Curse to do so. Though that was just something I thought I'd heard. Definitely nothing to consider completely true.

As for recount, I agree, it's a good tool. What I meant by my example is that people have always had something similar to complain about yet for some reason I see more GearScore posts than anything. As someone else mentioned, at one point it was "you have to have 5k dps". In other words, Recount was used to determine your ability regardless of any outside factors. Then it was achievements. Then it was GearScore.

As for counting someone out because of a blue or two. Most people aren't going to risk you not performing up to par than to take your word for it. Now if you're a well known damage dealer, sure, you'll get invites. But if not, you're SoL.

10+ Year Old Account

Almost only people with bad gearscore want it removed...
    Vol'jin fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam
    I suppose I'm the exception to your rule, then.

Yes you can type /gs to get a more detailed summary, but the very point is that people DO NOT use that.
    If you have to whisper someone a score and you are rejected or accepted on that alone, which is the majority situation then that itself is proof that whatever function you put in the addon to make it actually useful, if it requires something you cannot put in trade then it will not be used.
    The addon may have caused a lot of damage that was not the intended use, but the author could have easily dropped it long ago and left it to die out.
    No they continued to update it so they may not like what they created, but they enjoy the large download numbers too much to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam
    I want the addon gone because of the way people are judged by a number which is based entirely on gear ilvl, not where it comes from, not how good something actually is for the class, not if something proves comparable to items from several "tiers" later like the greatness trinket.
    Obtaining ICC ready scores without a single minutes of raid experience is more than enough proof in itself that the concept of going by such a score is hugely flawed.

I was in a pug for an ICC 10 rep run, and a 10 minute discussion consisting of a "minimum" gearscore required for a tank came up, and this was already after one tank left due to arguements over buffing with 3 people still short.
    At that point I left since the gearscore was a good part of why it was not running, not the help it is supossed to be, just a hinderance.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

You are playing on bad realms then.
    On my realm its 90% of time: LFM ICC10, Link achievement for 1st 4 bosses and come eventide for gearcheck.
    Oh wait. Now you will complain about linking achievement
    I remember when people kept complaining about "how am i supposed to get achievement if noone wants me to take for that raid without it". Remove GS and people will complain about linking achievement again.
    Meet from a cat.

[Suspended. Locking this thread instead of deleting it to remind people of the rules.]