Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Elemental Pve proffesion choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaz89
    as far as prof bonuses go:

Enchanting: 46 sp (ring enchants)

Alchemy: 47 sp

Jewelcrafting: 48 sp (3x 39 sp instead of 23, giving you 48 more)

BS: 2 sockets ending up at 46 sp (2x 23 sp gems)

Engi: Haste proc on gloves, rockets on boots+24crit(instead of tuskarrs), 27 sp on cloak and parachute(instead of 23 haste)

IMO the most benefiting 2 professions (purely by the profession sp bonus) is JC and Engineering, if you know how to handle your cooldowns.

I dont see why everyone keeps claiming JC/BS to be the best, if engineering isnt for you i'd still go JC/Alch instead.
    Bingo, someone who knows his stuff.

In terms of straight numbers for pve, these are right, making JC and Alch the best professions to have. You get more spellpower from these 2 + you get 2 hour flasks which help your wallet.

Engineering is the highest dps profession out there though (the enchants are dps value-wise equivalent to the benefits of other professions according to elitist jerks testing but that was pre 3.3.3 changes to Flame shock haste, so the glove enchant is probably a higher dps enchant now than before), and it provides extra benefits (nitro boots for a class with no innate movement speed abilities and frag belt for extra dps from bombs once or twice in a fight). However if you're bad at using cd's properly, or dont want to completely min/max, jc/alch are you 2 best options.

Quote Originally Posted by windfurybot
    Bingo, someone who knows his stuff.

In terms of straight numbers for pve, these are right, making JC and Alch the best professions to have. You get more spellpower from these 2 + you get 2 hour flasks which help your wallet.

Engineering is the highest dps profession out there though (the enchants are dps value-wise equivalent to the benefits of other professions according to elitist jerks testing but that was pre 3.3.3 changes to Flame shock haste, so the glove enchant is probably a higher dps enchant now than before), and it provides extra benefits (nitro boots for a class with no innate movement speed abilities and frag belt for extra dps from bombs once or twice in a fight). However if you're bad at using cd's properly, or dont want to completely min/max, jc/alch are you 2 best options.
    Thank you all, i can handle my cool downes and with the changes to FS i think it would be a higher dps gain to go to engi from inscription. but my next question is where in alchemy does it give you 47SP?

Mixology, the profession ability you get from being an alchemist, increases the effect of your elixirs and flasks that you are able to make. so if you can make flask of the frost wyrm, which you can at max level, it gets 2 hour duration and gives 172 sp instead of 125 spell power. the difference is 47 increased sp. also consider the flask of the north. this flask is basically the "keep this flask on all the time while questing/instancing/blah blah to have that constant 47 sp up on your gear (since jc/enchanting/etc have that spell power on their gear just from having the gear on). so you get 47 sp from flask of the north or from the mixology increase to your flask of the frost wyrm at all times.

keep in mind that when blizzard changed all the professions in 3.0, they normalized the crafting professions to try to be as close to normalized as they could. JC used to be overpowered because dragon's eye gems were prismatic, so you could fill all your blue sockets with "red" dragon's eyes and get extra socket bonus sp (consider 3 items with socket bonuses due to prismatics, the gain was the normal 48, + 15-21 sp from the socket bonuses. since that was changed, most professions are normalized around 46-48 sp gains. LW bracer enchant gives 46 sp over normal, BS 2 sockets give 46, JC gives 3 prismatics that give 16 extra x3 = 48 sp, etc. so really a few sp doesn't REALLY matter, but if you wanted to min/max, JC/engineering gives the most benefits for elemental dps.

They are all the same, with the exception of Eng. Period. Always always always. And by always I mean: As long as you like gemming for SP instead of something else.
    46-48 SP + a minor benefit. Blizz got tired of the profession QQ and just flattened them all out.
    All. Of. Them. 46-48 SP.
    I dunno much about resto's gemming these days, and enhance is YMMV, so I suppose if you wanted the flexibility to min/max your offspec, go BS/JC. Whatever.

Engineering is a different beast. Cloak you lose 23 haste to gain 27 SP, call it ~4 SP, boots you gain the nitro boosts +24 crit but lose perm 8% run speed. So call it ~4sp + 24crit ~= 15ish SP, gloves is ~68 haste assuming perfect use. If you really suck at haste cooldowns, you can use the pyro rocket for a static (~40 * whatever crit mechanic it uses) DPS boost.

If you can use the hyperspeeds, it's engineering followed by all other non gathering professions which are equal.

As an aside, I don't think you are supposed to use the hyperspeeds for flame shock. I suspect (total speculation, haven't mathed it) that losing 1 sec of your 12 sec haste to cast a hasted FS would wind up being less DPS than using that extra second to cast LBs and LvBs. Don't quote me on that though.

This question really should be stickied, though.

Edit: I may or may not have lied. Tailoring might be better than the other ones. Depending on stuff I am too lazy to math out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawka
    Well it always comes down to what works best for your guild but I imo, blow hero on the 2nd raging spirit phase. Instead of having 2 up, you will only have 1 and it's almost dead going into phase 5. Because if you lose a tank, it can get nasty if you have no brez.

But Arthas for us is such an easy fight now, we one shot it everytime on normal. Heroic of course is a lot more difficult lol.
    Yup talking about heroic here, not normal ;p

Again, why is everyone skipping over Tailoring?!! This quote from wowhead is in regards to the cloak enchant you get with tailoring, Lightweave

In 3.1 this will be changed to give 250 spell power for 15 seconds on proc. Given a 45 second cool down like similar abilities have and a decent proc rate this should come out to 250 * 15 / 45 = 83 sp. If the math is right this will now be the best caster enchant for the cloak in the game hands down and will definitely make tailoring worth picking up. I would say that this will make tailoring and jewel crafting the two best professions for any caster/healer that is min/max.

What comes close to 83sp from profs?

Simply put, if you're not only a min/maxer but interested in making gold/reducing hassle, go Tailoring/Alch

I've also made a fortune crafting ICC patterns for people. Tailoring/Alch provide so much more than other profs.

Stop telling people to go jc or bs at all. Engi is in consideration too, but if its competing against alch (as 53 haste vs 83 sp no thanks) I'll take my 2hour flasks, transmute proc x4 majestic zircons, crazy alch potions, and more, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bstore2
    In 3.1 this will be changed to give 250 spell power for 15 seconds on proc. Given a 45 second cool down like similar abilities have and a decent proc rate this should come out to 250 * 15 / 45 = 83 sp. If the math is right this will now be the best caster enchant for the cloak in the game hands down and will definitely make tailoring worth picking up. I would say that this will make tailoring and jewel crafting the two best professions for any caster/healer that is min/max.
    it was further updated to 295 sp btw, and 295 sp for 15 seconds tradeoff for 23 haste enchant is good, and assuming you get full benefit of the proc (doesnt proc as you're moving, get bone spiked, etc/whatever) i think it turns into a ~98 sp - 23 haste increase to stats. so in effect, as long as you get full benefit of the proc you get ~75 sp compared to 47 sp from other professions. personally i dont like procs like this esp for high movement fights in icc because i dont always get full benefit from them. i would rather use the proc myself (i.e. trinket or ele mastery) when i want it to increase my dps when i need it. but for stand and nuke fights, yes tailoring is a higher value profession overall (just doesnt provide the static increase in stats, though you get cheap leg enchants)