Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

<80 Hunters and Dual Spec

So, as I'm leveling through BC content while being Survival spec and I thought of getting dual spec so I can use BM while soloing and Survival for instances. So I spent 1000 gold on that.

What a f*cking waste. As a BM hunter I of course tame an exotic tenacity pet and everything is going great, finally I don't snap aggro from my pet at all times and soloing is going a lot smoother. Now, the problem is when we get to instances.. Some smart guy decided to put Call Stabled Pet at level 80, meaning there is no point in even thinking about getting dual spec as a hunter considering your spec, your damage and your playstyle is linked to your pet. From BM > Surv I can't even use a pet since it's exotic. At 80, this doesn't matter, but honestly, why have a dual spec at 80? Considering the cost of dual spec I almost feel ripped off. I've sent a ticket in hope of getting this process reverted, as it is useless due to a flawed game design.

Anyone else who's experienced this problem? Any words on getting a possible fix for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Re: <80 Hunters and Dual Spec

I was thinking about buying dual spec so i could go BM for group quests, but then i thought about it and saw the flaw in game design that you're speaking of, so i didn't do it :-\
    Quote Originally Posted by yaij9841
    you used the term parry gib... which is a myth

My issue when leveling my hunter

I sat with my pvp spec and my pvp pet out and just sat in cities waiting for dungeons, was n't very proactive as to being able to quest and change pet after.

It should be lowered quite a bit, maybe TO level 40, hell lower than that would be useful too. It's not even giving us something new at the level since we can already change pets.. just m,eans we don't have to go to a town or a city to change.... Okay, made more sense in my mind but it's half 1 in the morning, and i, am a little tipsy : P

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Azuppa
    My issue when leveling my hunter

I sat with my pvp spec and my pvp pet out and just sat in cities waiting for dungeons, was n't very proactive as to being able to quest and change pet after.

It should be lowered quite a bit, maybe TO level 40, hell lower than that would be useful too. It's not even giving us something new at the level since we can already change pets.. just m,eans we don't have to go to a town or a city to change.... Okay, made more sense in my mind but it's half 1 in the morning, and i, am a little tipsy : P
    It would indeed fix the DS problem by lowering Call Stabled Pet to 40, I'll probably be 80 and in ICC gear by then, but at least it would help new hunters. I just find it really sad that they almost never think about the leveling process, but simply just the 80 part (What, does pre-80 content exist..?) They linked Call Stabled Pet to switching spec, but they never thought of the idea to give it to lower-level hunters with DS. How you can miss that is beyond me.
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

I use Dual Spec constantly at level 80 - whether it be for a BM solo spec, a PVP spec or a utility 2nd PVE spec.

Just because you're leveling as BM while solo and love your exotic pet, doesn't mean you have to use it 100% of the time. If you're queuing for dungeons then just get your non-exotic ferocity pet and use it with your BM spec - is that really so hard/bad? I don't think so. There are stables all over the place.

That being said, they definitely should lower the level for Call Stabled Pet. I'm just happy they made the cooldown 5 minutes now, which I find myself using a lot more often than I would have thought - mainly while soloing old instances and wanting my tank pet only some of the time and my dps pet most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Blkangus
    Just because you're leveling as BM while solo and love your exotic pet, doesn't mean you have to use it 100% of the time. If you're queuing for dungeons then just get your non-exotic ferocity pet and use it with your BM spec - is that really so hard/bad? I don't think so. There are stables all over the place.
    That's the problem. Most of the time I'm partied with my girlfriend and running around questing while waiting for the dungeon to pop (anything between 10 min to 2 hours) and I don't really have the time to fly to the nearest stable and switch pet while waiting to accept. Also, I don't think the other members would be so keen about waiting 5-10 minutes for me to fly over to the nearest town.

See it from a warriors point of view for example, DPS spec while questing, Prot spec while instancing. For me it's reversed, "prot" outside and dps inside, the problem is that my specs are limited to a pet that I can only change in town. How would it be if a warriors stance could only be changed while in a town?

Well, my point was mainly to tell you that the $$ you spent on dual-spec won't be wasted at all and that there are many uses for it at lvl 80.

As for your dungeon vs. solo woes while leveling up - it sounds like you run into this a lot, so maybe just don't use an exotic pet at all? Or - go BM in instances, it's not all that bad and sub-80 who's going to really care?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Blkangus
    Well, my point was mainly to tell you that the $$ you spent on dual-spec won't be wasted at all and that there are many uses for it at lvl 80.

As for your dungeon vs. solo woes while leveling up - it sounds like you run into this a lot, so maybe just don't use an exotic pet at all? Or - go BM in instances, it's not all that bad and sub-80 who's going to really care?
    Well, I don't PvP and It's an alt, so I won't really do much with it besides do a crapload of damage, so having two specs won't be very necessary.

You do have a point that I can just use a non-exotic pet, but loosing the AP buff and the damage from my Wolf does hurt my DPS. If I wanted to have an easier time by sacrificing DPS, I'd just simply respec, not get dual spec for 1000x the cost. Now, due to this design flaw, I'm still sacrificing DPS for having an easier time, something this system shouldn't do. A warrior doesn't sacrifice his Prot abilities by having a DPS spec while outside instances. I do. Fair? Not really.

10+ Year Old Account

its not like there is a lack of stable masters around OL. If u know ur going to be doing a dungeon hang out near/around a place u know there is a stable master. Also not such a big deal dpsing in BM.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

10+ Year Old Account

haha i was feeling the same way a few months ago. really i dont regret it now tho because i use 1 specc for pvp and one for pve.

if i feel like soloing i will just pay the wimpy 15g to change to bm and then change back when im done

----------------------------------------
    you are now consciously breathing
    ----------------------------------------

I used Dual spec for MM/MM one for single target, the other for aoe. and i just kept a bear around. Worked wonders actually because the bear could keep just enough threat + charge that on single target i rarely had to kite. and the aoe implications of a bear are obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by xxApelxx
    its not like there is a lack of stable masters around OL. If u know ur going to be doing a dungeon hang out near/around a place u know there is a stable master. Also not such a big deal dpsing in BM.
    he is _leveling_, he aint gonna waste he's time sitting around a stablemaster all the time. besides he's DPS so the que time can be between 2 minutes to 2 hours.

My hunter's 2 spec atm are MM for PvE and BM for PvP/soloing TBC heroics and ZG.
    I know I've saved a shitload of gold. I'd rather pay a 1k one off fee than pay for literally 1000 talent tree respecs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerikaya View Post
    There's more bosses after Saurfang?

Quote Originally Posted by Nudi View Post
    I got 99 problems, but a totem ain't one.
    Word.

I can see where you'd be frustrated, but I'd suggest getting a pet that isn't exotic and thus, you could use it whether SV or BM.

I happen to switch specs a lot at level 80, BM as my PVE and SV as my PVP. I remember anxiously awaiting Call Stabled Pet and now that I have it, I'm very happy. It's a level 80 reward for hunters. I agree it would be REALLY USEFUL at lower levels, but so would being able to pop four decoys of yourself if you were a lower level arcane mage.

We can't expect Blizzard to make everything easier for lower levels - what would the reward be for reaching level 80?

Also, with regard to lower level questing, Cataclysm is expected to make some changes to gameplay that ought to make it more enjoyable. Side note done, and back on topic...

If you're looking for a tanking pet to help along with questing, get a bear or turtle. They're non-exotic and both are really good tanking pets. It's a lot of money and I can surely understand your frustration, but I disagree that Call Stabled Pet should be given to lower classes based on your situation.

^what he said. The single simplest solution to your problem is not to use an exotic pet. You still get the 4 extra pet talents in BM either way, and those are worth far more dps/utility than an exotic pet (they just have nice family skills). If you're dual specced and swap from bm to sv/mm, your pet swaps their spec too, so make sure to check their spec in each of yours to ensure that they actually ARE talented.

And of course keep the exotic pet, use it on those days you're not doing a lot of dungeons.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

What exotic pet are you using as a tank?

SV pve & SV pvp

only point of dual spec as a hunter is for pvp/pve

Quote Originally Posted by purleedef
    only point of dual spec as a hunter is for pvp/pve
    Except ofcourse if you have a dps spec and a 'raid-carrying spec'. Or a raidspec and a solospec.

Personally, I think Call Stabled Pet should stay at 80. Why? Because I had to level my Hunter without Call Stabled Pet.

But the OP is right, it should be lowered to 40, because you can get a Exotic Pet switch to Survival/MM, then hit your head on the wall.