Enhancement Crit Cap

Hello everyone!

So, I've been reviewing the BiS lists for a while for enhancement, and I realize that you are supposed to gem Hit so that you can raise your personal crit cap and thus crit more with white swings etc.

But how can I calculate my crit cap? What hit do I need for that? Can anyone give me a thorough explanation? I've browsed EJ to find this, but the concept is so vaguely written there...Is there a formula I can use? Thanks for the help!

Me: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...t4NKACuqzbdqIc

Re: Enhancement Crit Cap

-24% glance (all melee have 24% chance to glance)
    -5% crit reduces chances (bcuz boss has 3 lvl higher than you)(-2% if u have a +3% chance to crit debuff on boss)
    -Your chance to miss
    -Your chance to be dodged

= Your crit cap

Chance to miss? I still don't follow....>_>

Quote Originally Posted by mnm
    -24% glance (all melee have 24% chance to glance)
    -5% crit reduces chances (bcuz boss has 3 lvl higher than you)(-2% if u have a +3% chance to crit debuff on boss)
    -Your chance to miss
    -Your chance to be dodged

= Your crit cap
    This is called crit depression, which reduces your chance to crit to boss by 4,8%, but it doesn't cause your crit cap to go lower, instead, it makes it higher, as you can just increase your crit rate even after your sheet says you are critcapped.

So instead, the crit cap would be 100%-glancings-miss chance (since you shouldn't have any dodges due to expertise, I'm just gonna leave it out).

P.S. For chance to miss affecting it, easiest way to explain is: you can't crit what you can't hit, so if the attack you make wouldn't "hit" the target, it can't crit it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden
    This is called crit depression, which reduces your chance to crit to boss by 4,8%, but it doesn't cause your crit cap to go lower, instead, it makes it higher, as you can just increase your crit rate even after your sheet says you are critcapped.

So instead, the crit cap would be 100%-glancings-miss chance (since you shouldn't have any dodges due to expertise, I'm just gonna leave it out).

P.S. For chance to miss affecting it, easiest way to explain is: you can't crit what you can't hit, so if the attack you make wouldn't "hit" the target, it can't crit it either.
    Doesn't WoW use a 1 roll combat system meaning an attack either hit crits or doesnt hit not its rolled for hit and then rolled for crit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    I play horde.

I smash my keyboard repetitively while yelling "MAKIN SHIT HAPPEN" over and over at the top of my lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by epard
    Doesn't WoW use a 1 roll combat system meaning an attack either hit crits or doesnt hit not its rolled for hit and then rolled for crit?
    Hit Table:
    Miss
    Dodge
    Parry
    Glancing Blow
    Block
    Critical Hit (subtract 4.8% for crit depression)
    Regular Hit

Let's say your stats are 0% hit, 26 expertise, 60% crit. The table would be:

Hit Table:
    Miss - 27%
    Dodge - 0%
    Parry - 0%
    Glancing Blow - 24%
    Block - 0%
    Critical Hit - 49% (55.2% total, 6.2% pushed off the table)
    Regular Hit - 0% (pushed off the table)

It's a one-roll system, but there's 6.2% crit being wasted. Add 5% hit chance and you'll have:

Hit Table:
    Miss - 22%
    Dodge - 0%
    Parry - 0%
    Glancing Blow - 24%
    Block - 0%
    Critical Hit - 54% (55.2% total, 1.2% pushed off the table)
    Regular Hit - 0% (pushed off the table)

Adding 5% hit allowed 5% of all swings to be converted from misses into crits. And if you somehow had a miss chance of 50% then the percentage of all swings that were critical strikes would drastically decrease, because crit chance would be pushed off the table much sooner.

So. I might be visualizing the attack table a bit incorrectly. I'm not entirely sure. This is how it makes sense to me, though. Even if it is slightly off, it still illustrates the point that an attack must first be able to hit before it can crit.

hit chance: 27%-6%(talents)-12.45%(random number repesenting your melee hit chance through hitrating)-1%(if you are draenei) = 7.55%

crit cap: 100%-24%(glancing blows )+4.8%(crit depression)-7.55%(the miss chance resulting from above numbers)
    = 73.25%

so assuming you were a draenei with 12.45% hit chance through hit rating, your soft melee crit cap would be 73.25%

absolute melee crit cap would 100%-24%+4.8% = 80.8%

which you have after hard capping hit ( 688 hit-rating as horde, 655 as alliance )
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t87972-e...s_tow_hotc/p2/
    When I looked at this thread a month or so ago it had an excel file you could dl to plug in your numbers and it would tell you your crit cap, there was a version 3 of the file when I had looked so maybe u should start from the last page and go backwards to find any newer ones