Which TTW/Fire spec is best?

Yeh just like the title says:

Which TTW/fire spec is actually better when we are talking about 25m ICC.

Here is a spec which Ekyu from Ensidia suggests: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#of0Vcu...hVubhst:ViL0co

And here is a typical TTW/Fire spec: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#of0Vck...hVubhct:ViL0co

Basically the difference is in improved scorch and student of the mind.
    The argument for Ekyu's build I guess is that warlocks should provide the raid with 5% crit anyways, but still being fire without scorch feels kinda strange.

So what do you guys think is it better to go spec A or B?

Re: Which TTW/Fire spec is best?

I'm guessing Ekyu's guide is outdated and doesn't factor the 3% fireball crit into Imp. Scorch

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by mehammered
    maybe he has Aff lock in raid with him ?
    perhaps you should read the talent fully?

anyways, ekyu is pretty lol, and taking his advice just because he is in ensidia is pretty lol as well. if it was a paragon mage, i'd be inclined to listen, but ekyu is simply lol.
    BfA Beta Time

As Rugz stated the talent (Improved Scorch) does include a 3% crit bonus for fireball and the like. Dragon's Breath sure is fun (and pretty to boot) but unless there are some fights in hardmode ICC that it would perform exceptionally well on I can't imagine why you would take it. Also the 3 points into Student of the Mind seem laughable considering you get more crit from Improved Scorch, unless of course you are stacking an insane amount of spirit. Plus why risk having to change your spec in the case that the Affliction Warlock doesn't show, respecs, or spontaneously combusts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    I'm guessing Ekyu's guide is outdated and doesn't factor the 3% fireball crit into Imp. Scorch
    I hope so. If that's the kind of mage that gets into a top world guild, lol.

either he forgot that imp- scorch gives you 3% crit on your main nuke in a spec thats infinitely dependant on crit to perform well, or hes a bad...

sotm is pretty much your choice, if you got used to the 30-36 yard range of arcane, you may be thrown off by having that extra few yards, but those 2 points are like at best 80 dps so it doesnt really matter either way, i personally like having the extra room to cast
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgoon23
    My guild leader once went
    "Brb baby is crying"
    5 mins later
    "Okay killed it"
    I lol'ed.

6yard range>>>6% spirit at every boss in ICC. BQL and festergut are probably only bosses where you can just stand and dps without boss ever going out of range or standing futher from boss would make your life easier (Saurfang blood beasts for example). No math provided but if that fight isn't extremely long, even 1 extra fireball should outdps damage gained from 2 extra points in SotM.

yea especially with the loss of t9 2 pc and almost no spirit on the bis gear, if any, (i havent looked at the list in a while i cant remember) sotm has lost what little dps it was giving us, but hey its still a small boost, up to the mage to decide if they want it over range, hell you could put the points in ma if you felt like it
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgoon23
    My guild leader once went
    "Brb baby is crying"
    5 mins later
    "Okay killed it"
    I lol'ed.

Quote Originally Posted by hellpyre
    yea especially with the loss of t9 2 pc and almost no spirit on the bis gear, if any, (i havent looked at the list in a while i cant remember) sotm has lost what little dps it was giving us, but hey its still a small boost, up to the mage to decide if they want it over range, hell you could put the points in ma if you felt like it
    SotM is yet another "depends on your gear" thing. I still have a decent amount of spirit on my gear, so I'm still getting some use out of SotM.

I use http://www.wowhead.com/talent#of0Vck...hVubhct:ViL0co

The 1pt in arcane meditation saves me from having to evocate. ;D

10+ Year Old Account

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...oAToWCW,,11723
    My spec atm.
    After a quick check in rawr it showed a dps loss of 30 dps roughly when i plugged ekyus spec but it is very viable spec idd if you got higher amount of spirits or 2pt t9. Although i would rather sacrifice 2 points in world in flames than imp scorch.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...VllDnzr,,11723

^ Mine is the best dps assuming that range isn't an issue. Consider that base fire range is only 1 yard short of fully improved arcane range, and that as range increases each yard becomes less of a % increase and also less of an issue due to there being exponentially more space to spread out in the further out you are.

While SotM isn't a good talent, it's better for fire than arcane, and there's no other dps-booster to take in its place.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#of0fck...hVubhct:ViL0cz

i think 80 resistance > 4% chanse to clearcast

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless
    I use http://www.wowhead.com/talent#of0Vck...hVubhct:ViL0co

The 1pt in arcane meditation saves me from having to evocate. ;D
    Unless im TOTALLY wrong and if so Im really sorry but I don't think Arcane meditation and Pyromaniac (50% mana regen while casting) stack. So that 1 point is pretty useless and should be changed.

Again I never tested if they do stack and if they do im sorry.
    Apocalypsee 80 Gnome Mage Arcane!!!!

My Mage. Check and feel envy!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypsee
    Unless im TOTALLY wrong and if so Im really sorry but I don't think Arcane meditation and Pyromaniac (50% mana regen while casting) stack. So that 1 point is pretty useless and should be changed.

Again I never tested if they do stack and if they do im sorry.
    they stack, so you can get a max of 100% regen while casting.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypsee
    Unless im TOTALLY wrong and if so Im really sorry but I don't think Arcane meditation and Pyromaniac (50% mana regen while casting) stack
    Rawr simulates these things too - I played around with fight durations, talent points and different gear quite a lot. I'm happy to give up a teensy bit of dps on shorter (and more farmable) fights to prevent having to evocate during the more difficult fights.