Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Upcoming Cataclysm Dispel Mechanics

Upcoming Cataclysm Dispel Mechanics
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    We wanted to introduce some of the changes to dispel mechanics coming in Cataclysm. Our goals were to make dispelling a little less trivial to do in PvP, and to make sure there is more equity in dispel capabilities among healers in both PvP and PvE.

Within the system, there are currently five types of dispellable (or curable) buffs and debuffs: curse, disease, poison, defensive magic, and offensive magic. An example of defensive magic dispelling would be using a dispel to free a polymorphed ally, while offensive magic dispelling would be utilizing a dispel ability to strip away an enemy’s buff or heal-over-time (HoT) spell. The main distinction between these two types is in whether or not you can target an enemy with your dispel.

In Cataclysm each healing class will be getting three out of the five types of dispels, with one of these always being a defensive dispel magic. This design makes sure that finding a healer with the ability to remove magic isn’t restrictive in building teams for Arenas or rated Battlegrounds. It also allows the encounter designers to assume, when designing dungeon or raid fights, that every group can dispel magic.

In addition, we're making the opportunity cost (what the player could have accomplished with different actions) for dispelling a bit steeper. We think the cost is too low for three reasons: 1) The actual mana cost is low. 2) You never waste a dispel. If you try to dispel a debuff that isn’t there then the dispel just won’t go off. 3) We have spells that remove debuffs with minimal input on the part of the player. In Cataclysm we are raising the mana costs, making it possible to waste mana by casting a dispel when there is nothing to dispel, and removing Cleansing Totem, Abolish Disease, and Abolish Poison from the game. With these changes in mind, we are working to plan dungeon and raid encounters where dispels aren’t in constant demand or spammed in order to be successful, though some need for dispels will still be a part of the design.

As previously mentioned, we are providing three dispel capabilities to all healing classes as follows:

• Druids will be able to dispel defensive magic, curses, and poison.
    • Paladins will be able to dispel defensive magic, diseases, and poison.
    • Priests will be able to dispel defensive magic, offensive magic, and disease.
    • Shaman will be able to dispel defensive magic, offensive magic, and curses.

There is some trade-off that is being made in making these changes and we wanted to expand on this further.

• Protection and Retribution paladins will lose their current ability to dispel magic.
    • All shaman will lose dispel disease and dispel poison in exchange for Restoration gaining dispel magic.
    • Restoration shaman, Restoration druids, and Holy paladins will need to talent into their defensive magic dispels.
    • Shadow priests won’t be able to remove disease in Shadowform.
    • Mage, hunter, and warlock will retain their current dispel mechanics.
    • Body and Soul remains the same, and basically any dispel mechanic not mentioned above is currently planned to remain as it is.
    • When possible, we’d like to combine dispels into a single action. For example, the druid ability to dispel curses and poisons might be a single spell with a Restoration talent that also allows it to dispel magic. This part of the design isn’t finalized, however.

As with all of our Cataclysm previews, keep in mind that any of these decisions could change when we’re in beta.

Re: Upcoming Cataclysm Dispel Mechanics

All these announcements Boub must have been right about beta being soon. A magic dispel coupled with other dispells sounds interesting and risky at the same time, but hard to judge without seeing all the changes coming up.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else

My druid approves!
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Interesting stuff... I'm sure there'll be some shaman and paladin crying coming, though.

10+ Year Old Account

I foresee many QQ posts with this one regardless of "changes could be made at any time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Deleted

hmm i dont like so many classes being able to dispell magic :-\
    change for prot and ret pallies seems neat though

Mmmmmm, tasty Cataclysm infos. And Shaman tears, those are yummy too.

No ability to cleanse as ret or prot? that is the lamest thing I have heard in a while.

Sounds like some of the changes will have a pretty big impact on other classes, but I'm glad to see that Druids will only be gaining the ability to dispel magic and not really losing anything. Sounds like moonkins will still be able to dispel poison and curse, and similarly, dispels like a Mage's dispel curse will remain in tact.

Damn Boub. So the beta is in fact going to start in April, you're right yet again. How do you do that? :<
    And Christ said to his disciples, "I shall grant you eternal Salvation!"
    The disciples fell to their knees and replied, "Give us kings n00b!".

I don't like change!

But seriously. It's a stupid change and hopefully blizzard will be able to see the ramifications that are certain to arise in pvp.

Druids benefiting the most from this while shaman are in the middle with the fire and forget changes to their totems. Priests and Pallies will certainly lag behind druids now without some form of compensation for their loss.

Hmmm.

Depspelling magic and poison and curses in one spell for a druid will cause lots of problems with things like UA...

Other than that though it would make for an interesting experience.

I do wanna believe they will balance things anyway but... where's the trade-off for paladins? We only lose something ;D

* Paladins will be able to dispel defensive magic, diseases, and poison.

There is some trade-off that is being made in making these changes and we wanted to expand on this further.

* Protection and Retribution paladins will lose their current ability to dispel magic.
    Cool story bro'.

Quote Originally Posted by Memory
    I do wanna believe they will balance things anyway but... where's the trade-off for paladins? We only lose something ;D
    druids stole it

Deleted

[blizzquote="Zarhym;http://blue.mmo-champion.com/27/24038610691-upcoming-cataclysm-dispel-mechanics.html]In Cataclysm we are raising the mana costs, making it possible to waste mana by casting a dispel when there is nothing to dispel[/blizzquote"] When is the retardation ever going to end? They basically want healers to waste Dispels? Wonderful!

Old content is going to blow without cleansing totem....

No you give me back abolish poison now
    Resto Druids, the best health care system

But, but, but... mah Cleansing Totem... :'(

Oh wellz. Still sounds interesting. Excited to see how the changes play out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti
    No, they (new-gen gamers) are happy. Never happier than when they are crying loudly about the injustices of voluntary forms of entertainment.

"removing Cleansing Totem"

wat

Quote Originally Posted by str4jo
    Stupid, stupid, stupid....

Druids need a dispell... WTF-, seriously do they need anything more? They lost nothing and gained an ability, this is just ridiculous, they will be beyond overpowered...
    Shaman loosing poison and disease removal AND the totem, woah WOAH... what are they now, like the worst healer both pve and pvp wise?- and btw, ele and enhancement shaman will cease to exist in pvp, and so will retribution and protribution paladins...

Also, huge buff for DKs and rogues...
    idd we all know that rogues pounce on enhance shammies as it is now
    rofl @ this change seems no real thought has gone into this from a pvp point of view