Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Since no one's talking about the new dispels for Ret...

This just pigeonholes us into holy even more, learn to heal if you want to play in arena.
    They gave us dual spec for a reason, faceroll in bgs as ret (like me) and then when its time to get serious play a real spec... like holy.

shield, check, slow one hander, check, protet spec, check, better burst, utility, survivability and more potential comps than ret, check.

prot baby yeah

lol? prot burst? what?
    any healer with more than 1k resil will laugh at a prot paladin if he doesnt have LOTS of help

Repentance + Freedoming stuns > 6k AS crits and 1 more HOJ per minute. If you've done any Arena above 1100 as both specs you might understand this.

Based on your awful grammar and your point of using 1900 to sound impressive I'd say its safe to say you don't know what you're talking about. And the slow/silence really means shit when as prot you are a prime target for getting chain CC'd and/or drained until you are OOM. You also forgot to mention that one of prots selling points is it's survivability which loses its appeal when they'll train your healer anyway and you don't have the means to force a peel with the shitty prot burst.

Apparently the 1100 rating remark didn't invoke your understanding of the concept known as sarcasm, unless you lack that understanding altogether.
    Here's my ret/prot paladin, one of my 7 80s, I just started PvPing on him this season if you bother to lurk my achievements.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Barr%C3%ACer

Also, who the hell is we? Looks to me like you're the only one championing prot as the superior PvP spec.

Funny thing is, is this would go live now noone would play with a ret

I never said we. Dunno who Sheldon is but you definitely just admitted defeat with that post.

Ret does not bring as much to the table as Prot for PVP. However that discussion is beyond the scope of this discussion. This discussion is about Ret and Prot paladins not being able to dispel magic anymore.

I think this is quite miserable. Playing Ret I do dispel, but not as much as I do as a Prot paladin in PVE at least.

I always felt like being able to self dispel was a niche that Tankadins had (though limited in use) that other tanks did not. The best example is probably tanking Steelbreaker. One of the main reasons I was tanking him was because I could dispel myself and the Druid and Deathknight tanks could not.

The pvp implications are pretty severe for Ret and Prot alike, but I'm confident we will be given something to compensate. Will it be a fair trade? We will find out next week.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by barrierlol
    Dunno who Sheldon is but you definitely just admitted defeat with that post.
    How can one not know Sheldon?

Quote Originally Posted by SunstrikeSC
    Well, dispel isn't our only utility in pvp, using Freedom for stuns, and a good BoP can save matches. It's very crucial though, and will be kind of interesting to see how it all plays out. An interrupt would be cool, but I doubt a distance closer will really solve the issues. Now remember, we can still dispel poison and disease, all-be-it extremely marginal, it's something...right? lol
    this just in, BoP stops magic damage from the casters, also just in most of the comps I face in 3's are infact caster cleaves and the only way to win is to know how to use your dispel. Also, you might not but there are a lot of us who have been playing ret for a very long time and enjoy the current defensive play style. The removal of magic dispel is HUGE and they are going to need something really awesome to make up for it. Somthing so awesome we can't even imagine.

This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

@ Dustin
    Prot: Silence, slow, extra hoj, survivability
    Ret: Pressure, burst, peels, CC, HoF stun removal, sheath, 3% bonus damage... gtfo
    The PvE concern is so minimal that is really isn't worth mentioning, you can probably count the number of times cleansing as a tank has been useful on one hand.

@Piscesthepally
    Agreed. Caster cleaves in 2s and 3s really rape ret paladins. "Something so awesome we can't even imagine." That rings too true in my ears.

@Piscesthepally
    Agreed. Caster cleaves in 2s and 3s really rape ret paladins. "Something so awesome we can't even imagine." That rings too true in my ears.
    I can't even imagine fighting a mage (or comps with mages) without a magic dispel.. it's already hard. I play with a disc priest all of the time in 3's and I can tell you now that all of the comps I have played with him would fall apart instantly if I didn't have dispel.

Also @everyone arguing that prot is 'better' than ret in 3's/whatever that really is not true. Prot is good, and works really well with say.. prot/arms/rdruid or a list of other comps I can throw out at you. The problem with prot is that your mana is limited.. which means you need to pay attention to things like incoming CC chains on yourself (caster cleaves will have no problem whatsoever CCing you until plea is off) And if you are fighting a team with a priest, the priest is going to be smart enough to burn you after your plea is off. The biggest thing you are forgetting is that you can actually HEAL imagine that? as prot your mana is way to constricted plus you've got a self MS up the entire time. I have a spellpower 1 hander and shield and It gets used a lot. Ret's comps aren't as limited as you think, you just need to know when to do what you are supposed to. In conclusion ret and prot are just very different play styles.. I think they are fairly equal in terms of what the capabilites are. That said I think that ret takes more brains to be more successful with, you sometimes have to think out side of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscesthepally
    The problem with prot is that your mana is limited.. which means you need to pay attention to things like incoming CC chains on yourself (caster cleaves will have no problem whatsoever CCing you until plea is off) And if you are fighting a team with a priest, the priest is going to be smart enough to burn you after your plea is off. The biggest thing you are forgetting is that you can actually HEAL imagine that? as prot your mana is way to constricted plus you've got a self MS up the entire time. I have a spellpower 1 hander and shield and It gets used a lot. Ret's comps aren't as limited as you think, you just need to know when to do what you are supposed to. In conclusion ret and prot are just very different play styles.. I think they are fairly equal in terms of what the capabilites are. That said I think that ret takes more brains to be more successful with, you sometimes have to think out side of the box.
    My sentiments exactly, for 7 posts or so. People who don't understand the restrictions prot has when you are playing anyone with half a brain think prot is better. But I've played both and prot is not only boring and faceroll (to the extreme) but it really has a much lower skill cap. Ret has the potential to do so much more.

i play priest/protret/mage, interesting comp and my protret does stupid damage, whilst also being pretty much self sufficient except vs wizards.

protret damage is absurd, if you think otherwise you've either never played protret, don't know how to gear for protret, or are terrible.

Over 6k AP is plenty to do the expected damage for Prot and the damage isn't as good as ret. Just looking at the damage done at the end of the match says shit about pressure or burst. SoC is cool, go duel a resto druid and see if you get anywhere... ever. Absurd my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsense
    I don't see why you think they'd remove Freedom from Ret and Prot. That has little to do with straight dispelling and is very niche (though infinitely useful). The dispel changes weren't targeting any one class so to take away HoF also would just be silly.
    It was a sarcasm. Look up the term if you don't know what it means.

my protret sits at a static 6.5k AP with bursts of 7.5k and the 2 piece T10 prot bonus gemmed str, avengers shields on resi exceeding 8k crits, HoTR crits exceeding 6k, procced with an extra 500 str from his greatness and libram his shield slams are only a little lower than that, i have seen, multimple times him solo druids who come out of psy scream fully dispelled.

learn to gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathflid
    i play priest/protret/mage, interesting comp and my protret does stupid damage, whilst also being pretty much self sufficient except vs wizards.

protret damage is absurd, if you think otherwise you've either never played protret, don't know how to gear for protret, or are terrible.
    funny enough, I play priest/ret/mage, our mmr is around 2500 currently. I have played prot ret as priest/prot/hunter around the same rating, so I would say I have a pretty good understanding of what strengths and weaknesses are.

Over 6k AP is plenty to do the expected damage for Prot and the damage isn't as good as ret. Just looking at the damage done at the end of the match says shit about pressure or burst. SoC is cool, go duel a resto druid and see if you get anywhere... ever. Absurd my ass.
    1v1 vs a resto druid as a ret pally or protadin u can RARELY get anywhere against the druid >.> unless they're a moron or something. also what chain CC do you speak of vs caster cleaves? i hurd we had two sacrafices to make ccs break and trinket too. ive played both specs and honestally i enjoy prot/ret more, but again its a play style choice, i just choose to be a damage dealer then more of 1/2 heals 1/2 dps, i still cleanse as protadin just like i would as ret so... yeah its a play style choice,