Mage spec for 3.3.3

Returning after a 5-6 month break, trying to make my way through the forums to catch up. Still see FIRE/TTW and Arcane mages spreadout evenly and some other talks about Frost on EJ and even FFB still on here. Was Arcane just before I left but enjoyed Fire much more prior to that. I'll spend the time looking up the changes but in the raiders minds, what is the best spec nowadays for probabaly TOTC/TOGC and starting up in ICC? I'm sure I'll have to change specs later on once I get back in the swing of things, but wanted to know if Fire is still viable or if Arcane is the only real raiding spec now, and why. I see alot of info on each spec but not alot of opinions with facts to back them up on which is better and for who. Thanks! This is me... http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Yourmagesty.

Re: Mage spec for 3.3.3

Your current spec in my opinion is fine. Fire is still viable. I'm not sure which spec is better though. It's like mutilate spec and combat spec for rogues. Both are great, but hard to tell which one is "best".

I personally prefer Fire. Most of the fights in ICC have alot of movement and multiple targets whichc favors Living Bomb. Equally geared Arcane Mages are not out dpsing up by much, and in some cases we beat them. Pyroblast has become viable some now that Empowered Fireball and Torment the Weak both increase its dmg. Although the T10 2 piece bonus favors Arcane still, its still very nice for TtW/Fire.

if you look at fights in WoL of some of the best mages, most of them are arcane on most fights

LK everyone is fire
    I prefer fire on Fester - my guild pops lust post 30% tho

other than that arcane will get you more dps if you push it correctly on most fights - in the end tho theres a 100dps difference between specs in optimized situations so play what makes you happy inside

I prefer fire (18/53/0). If you're able to get the gear for it, I feel it's much more enjoyable, albeit much less forgiving if you make any mistakes. I was pulling 9-10k last night in all of ICC on fights like Fester, Putricide, and Saurfang. Hell, I even pulled top 5 as fire on Sindragosa. Ultimately the decision is going to come down to availability of gear and your personal preferences.

^ i use the same spec and last i checked managed a little over 10k on rotface, thats with the 10% buff though, but still i was beating the arc mages so i was happy :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgoon23
    My guild leader once went
    "Brb baby is crying"
    5 mins later
    "Okay killed it"
    I lol'ed.

15+ Year Old Account

wish i could remember what 9k DPS feels like.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    wish i could remember what 9k DPS feels like.
    "Please almighty Swizzle, take me as thy apprentice and teach me your ways."

This what you were looking for?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by hellpyre
    ^ i use the same spec and last i checked managed a little over 10k on rotface, thats with the 10% buff though, but still i was beating the arc mages so i was happy :P
    If you didn't beat the Arcane Mages as Fire on Rotface then you've got a serious problem. :P
    "Welcome to Orgrimmar. Have you come to serve me whores?"

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Teckdragon
    "Please almighty Swizzle, take me as thy apprentice and teach me your ways."

This what you were looking for?
    my point was DPS is relative, and saying you do x amount is silly when others can surpass that, making the number given pretty useless.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Katave
    If you didn't beat the Arcane Mages as Fire on Rotface then you've got a serious problem. :P
    but i did, so its ok lol

my point was DPS is relative, and saying you do x amount is silly when others can surpass that, making the number given pretty useless.
    i was simply saying that fire is competitive with arcane, since you know, thats what the op was asking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgoon23
    My guild leader once went
    "Brb baby is crying"
    5 mins later
    "Okay killed it"
    I lol'ed.

If you want to min max you are either Fire:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#of0Vck...RhIhVubhct:VLi

Or Arcane:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#osoifz...xedcZbGc0o:Nzi ( Note: there are variations on the arcane spec )

I am dual spec'd both fire and arcane and I swap depending on the fight. Fire is my mainspec though. ( For example if I need to keep up orbs on council I go arcane, or if we need improved amplify magic for dreamwalker. )
    I will not debate what spec is better because right now there is no solid proof on one being better than the other.

As Arcane you will need: 8% hit rating WITH a moonkin or shadow priest. 11% WITHOUT one.

As Fire you will need: 14% hit rating WITH a moonkin or shadow priest. 17% without one.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Dodgin
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/67679/

EverQuest (2000-2002)
    Lineage 2 (2004-2007)
    World of Warcraft (2005-Present)
    Age of Conan (2008-2009)
    AION (2009 - 3m)

10+ Year Old Account

Fire=Arcane 3.3.3. They are equal and very viable. Play whichever you like the most. If you're good, no one will even care.
    Vol'jin fanboy

personally i find fire much more enjoyable. when RNG's swinging your way you can beat just about anyone

Quote Originally Posted by taureninator
    if you look at fights in WoL of some of the best mages, most of them are arcane on most fights
    This is slowly changing as mages are getting fireball outfits assembled and trying it out more. Look at the icc25 parses in WoL, more fireball mages are creeping into the top results.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless
    This is slowly changing as mages are getting fireball outfits assembled and trying it out more. Look at the icc25 parses in WoL, more fireball mages are creeping into the top results.
    the sad thing about this is that it simply isn't true. i'm looking at WoL rankings for heroic 25 man, and all i see is that fire and arcane currently split the numbers at 6 bosses favoring each spec.
    BfA Beta Time

i'm looking at WoL rankings for heroic 25 man, and all i see is that fire and arcane currently split the numbers at 6 bosses favoring each spec.
    Exactly - there were no fireball mages in the top parses for the first couple weeks of 3.3.3. It's already an even split now. I didn't say "fireball mages are dominating the WoL parses", I said "more fireball mages are creeping into the top results". I bet we're actually in agreement here.

Fire mages are creeping into WOL as they switch and get the gear. Most people didn't want to switch because it requires you to obtain a few different pieces of gear then Arcane.

As more mages switch, we can see the spec is completely viable.

You also have to understand that yes, in the next 3 months or so WOL will eventually be dominated by Fire mages. As the Sims are showing Fire being highest DPS in BIS (hardmode) gear. So if enough mages end up switching when they pick up their shiny new 277 pieces, the WOL rankings will begin to look different.