New possible odd tanking Blood/Frost build

Im on my DK having just finished OTing Toravon, and I get this crazy idea in my head about a tank spec that would bring both imp Icy talons and Abombs might to the table while still being able to tank stuff... So playing around with some Calculators.. I came up with this.

I know it seems Odd, but I think giving up 5% Dodge for a lot of other early level Frost tanking talents makes up for it. If Disagree with the spec, please do so in a considerate, constructive manner.

Soooo, thoughts?

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jbxGqc0fsfRbsoZhg0thMhk
    -Proud Owner of a Blood Elf Warrior-

Re: New possible odd tanking Blood/Frost build

I suspect they will completely revamp the tree

Oh i know this is for in the mean time while we still have whats available to us..

I would say that if you r raid needed both buffs, give it a shot.
    It just seems kind of silly because there are wasted points in the frost tree just to get the haste.
    Who knows, it may work as an OT.

Try it, see how it goes.

15+ Year Old Account

They won't change the system without changing the talents, this is useless.
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

10+ Year Old Account

Lets see!

* You don't have Bladed Armor, which is quite a significant threat booster.
    * You have Icy Reach, which is completely pointless for tanking.
    * You have Lichborne, which is completely useless for tanking.
    * You have Deathchill, which is as weak as a talent can be.
    * You have Improved DS AND Annihilation. You're only going to use DS or Ob, as they're both FU strikes.
    * You lack Might of Mograine, gimping your HS & DS.
    * You only have 2/3 Bloody Strikes, gimping your HS & DS.

And so on and so forth...

The most basic problem with the spec is that it tries to be a jack of all trades, but is master of none. You do get some neat stuff, but you sacrifice a lot of talent points in things you're not going to use, and you do not have enough talents to go deep into one of the trees to significantly boost the tree's main ability.

This is a really messed up and horrible spec.
    I'm sorry, but i just have to tell you that you are an ignorant, closed minded fool, and you need to chill out, think more, and quit being such a douche. Your responses are shrill, closed minded, and ignorant. You need to think outside the box sometimes, and realize its blizzards game and you are not ghostcrawler.

That's pretty bad dude.

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t44638-s..._tanking/p119/

That page and one or two before it, are dedicated to Frost/Blood hybrids. You're going to give up a lot for Imp icy Talons in a blood spec.

Besides that....

Bloodworms is completely useless for a tank spec.
    Lichborne is nearly useless.
    3/3 Scent of Blood is useless. 1 or 2 is fine.
    Butchery? lol
    Imp Blood Presence... no.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jcErVh...soZhxxxbMhzZ0o

This spec, while still very ugly to look at, would be better (better, in this case, meaning "still bad.") If you wanted you could drop points somewhere in blood for Rune Tap/Imp Rune Tap if you really wanted it. Annihiliation is simply for the crit and to get further down the tree, since any other point spent in Frost at this level is equally worthless.

Be prepared to do a lot of Icy Touch spamming since your threat will suffer from the lack of Blood Gorged and some other essentials.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jcErVh...soZhxbxVMhzZ0o
    You could also try this, which points more points into Killing Machine which you will only use on icy touches (and you'll probably need them.)

In my opinion, you are gonna want to spec into Killing Machine. Since Icy Touch is now your most threat generating attack, and killing machine affects IT. Personally, when tanking on my DK, I use IT every single time until I am about 200k threat above the next person, and then switch to the self healing attacks (IE. Death Strike instead of IT). Other than that it all seems cool.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by starvethedead
    This is a really messed up and horrible spec.
    ^This. It's amazing the people who come on these forums thinking they have some revolutionary new spec build that no one has ever thought of trying and think that it's actually viable.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...moon&cn=Neaera

The frost build is my tanking build.

I've been playing around with my build for a long time and tanked since the class was released. I had a very high threat blood build, but I realized that I don't need all my threat, and I kept ripping threat off of other tanks unintentionally with the change to Icy Touch. So I created this build to cut my threat and maximize my survivability.

My rotation is a little off - I use death strike instead of obliterate for the little bit of self-heals (even though death strike isn't improved, it still works) but I still generate tons of threat, and if I do struggle with threat (usually when trying to tank over another high-threat tank) I just use my death runes to spam IT. It works great so far. The only downfall I've found of this build is if D&D is on cooldown I have no way of grabbing AOE threat if something comes up. But since I raid exclusively with two very good paladins, it's not a problem for me.

The healers complain that they have nothing to heal now. Not saying this build is for everyone, but it's fantastic for me.

i like the idea, though i almost always enjoy it when ppl think out of the box. I really find it sad to see all these randoms thinking that anything non-cookiecutter is automaticlybad, or horrible. Really sad.

back to the topic, I would change some things up though, both in blood and frost trees.

here is my humble suggestion: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jcERVh0Isb0cosZGx0xhMhZ0L

you should be using Obliterate rather than DS, ofc

Flame on

The goal of the Spec was to be able to provide two raid buffs and still be able to tank decently well. I thank everyone for the advice poste don this thread that was constructive to the thread and looking over it to try and tweak it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotarshil
    The goal of the Spec was to be able to provide two raid buffs and still be able to tank decently well. I thank everyone for the advice poste don this thread that was constructive to the thread and looking over it to try and tweak it up a bit.
    i see. then, in my specc, move the points from dodge to get the icy talons in frost

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Renotarshil
    The goal of the Spec was to be able to provide two raid buffs and still be able to tank decently well.
    You'd probably be better off only providing one buff, and let some other class bring the other. It's not worth gimping yourself to the point that you're nothing else than a buff-bot.

I don't mean to troll but I just had to point this out to the OP - your wild and crazy idea for a spec for both buffs has been discussed at some detail, and een given a name over at pwnwear.com - it's called Unbreakable Abomination (sounds way cooler than it actually is) and what you do is spam icy touch for threat. You will not kill LanaThel (at least not til the next iteration of SoW or HW) with the spec, but if no one else is giving either buff it MIGHT be worth a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    Can I give you +1k internetz, Chokaa?

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    You'd probably be better off only providing one buff, and let some other class bring the other. It's not worth gimping yourself to the point that you're nothing else than a buff-bot.
    this, because bringing 2 buffs to the raid is all fine and fun till you get a MM hunter and an enchance shaman in the group then you are pretty useless.

But for the sake of having fun and trying new specs I would go probably go with something like http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0EoqI0IsborsoZhxxxm0hz

**disclaimer: this spec would be for fun only, and would not be viable for any serious content**

I actually bumped into someone using a blood-frost tanking spec yesterday during my daily heroic, and I was really impressed.

It probably gives up loads in terms of survivability, I accept that, but the threat was very impressive. (I pulled 10-12k per boss as feral and with no tricks/md he had DOUBLE my threat).

Very viable for providing some buffs to make your heroics run a little quicker. Probably viable for lower tier raids, and heck, probably viable for ICC if you have decent healers and a bit of gear.

25mans? Probably no point. There's just no way you're going to miss both buffs.

Hardmodes? Probably not. You're going to want to minimise the damage you take.

A nice idea though, it doesn't deserve all the bad responses it's had.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

can instantly see u dont rly know how to spec something properly.

icy reach, lichborn, rune tap, mark of blood, imp blood pres and blood worms.

no tanking talents!

hybrid builds can work, but make sure u get the best out of a tree.

15+ Year Old Account

I think he might've gotten the point, since there was basically a whole page of people telling him why his spec was a bad idea.

No need to kick a dead horse