Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Gherkin's Take on Warlocks in Cataclysm

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    New Demon:
    Not this expansion please.
    Disagree with your reasoning but agree with your sentiment completely. Demons came a long way in LK and it would suck to not get some time to really get some use out of 'em as they approach "properly balanced".

I like the demon changes. I like your suggestions for fel guard. I am hoping he gets some love. There's lots of stuff you could do to make a new demon and lots of niches to fit into but honestly, I like work going into our pets. Way better than the "new pets" thing hunters got.

Look how well THAT worked out.
    Demonology:
    RNG cooldown reduction sounds.. gimmicky, but neat at the same time. Hard to balance and probably won't make it into Live.
    Probably will. Reasoning in my mind is this: how do you increase the WOW factor of meta without overpowering it in pvp? Simple: make its refresh/cd reduction gimmick something you don't do in pvp or don't do often.

Statistics say if you have say, a % chance to knock off however many seconds of CD, it'll average out over a given fight. Sounds good.

Destruction:
    Shadowburn execute? It'll have to do a HELL of a lot more damage to be viable in PVE, but maybe they're just trying to bring it back for PVP?
    Ya I dunno why they care - fix its mana cost so we can use it as an on the move knock when the other CD is down. Removing the shard thing fixes a ton of issues and hopefully points won't be so tight. I look forward to having options beyond "lifetap" and "lifetap when I'm at full mana" in cats.

Well, and "shadowflame lol I'm not in melee ARGH GOD CAN'T POINT THIS CONE"

Shard System:
    3 Shards per fight (lets say 5 minutes) does not a good cooldown make.
    It's way underpowered in pve right now. For 90% of fights if there's any chance your pet could die, you would do the following:

>3% : Reserve shards for pet summon
    <3% : omg cooldowns woot care

I don't like the idea of having this year after year debate of "shards aren't going away they're a warlock centric thing" turn into "shards didn't go away but who cares"

Good pvp changes though I'm not sure how they work with the in/outs of arena/bg combat.
    Curses:
    I want a new curse if you're only leaving me with two.
    Agreed.

Anyway they at least look like good changes and lots caught me off guard.

FFS Blizzard, we don't want one spell that we will rarely even need to be green, we want them all to be green.
    █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
    This site needs more red.

I think half the Soul Burns are really weak. I probably wouldn't even use the damaging ones in PvE because I'd rather save them for the teleport/summon/etc. in case some bad shit happens.

"Overall, I think we got hosed on the Mastery system. It's simply a raw damage increase to the type of damage we do, rather than an interesting mechanic like Elemental Shamans or Resto Shamans. Yes they can't all be unique and beautiful ponies, but I'd have like a fun mechanic rather than a "lol 20% more damage""
    Blizzard said masteries would be where most of the boring talents would go. This is neither a surprise, nor a disappointment for me personally.

"FFS Blizzard, we don't want one spell that we will rarely even need to be green, we want them all to be green."
    You would get sick of the green after one day.

BTW: Down with moderator tyranny. It's impossible to discuss the individual changes with just one thread.

I am not responsible for the double-standard and as a way of apologizing for the mess I have locked my own thread ~Gherkin

Quote Originally Posted by Torinogut
    "Overall, I think we got hosed on the Mastery system. It's simply a raw damage increase to the type of damage we do, rather than an interesting mechanic like Elemental Shamans or Resto Shamans. Yes they can't all be unique and beautiful ponies, but I'd have like a fun mechanic rather than a "lol 20% more damage""
    Blizzard said masteries would be where most of the boring talents would go. This is neither a surprise, nor a disappointment for me personally.

"FFS Blizzard, we don't want one spell that we will rarely even need to be green, we want them all to be green."
    You would get sick of the green after one day.

BTW: Down with moderator tyranny. It's impossible to discuss the individual changes with just one thread.

Then they could get sick of green after one day. Beats being sick of orange for 3 years.

The condensing into one thread is necessary to avoid a dozen threads on the same subject, each with different points, or duplications of the same points being brought up.
    Most changes are also not independent enough to warrant their own threads since they are still very much related.

Personally a lot of those changes do appeal, but my biggest concern is the limitation of 3 shards during combat since despite the theory, getting out of combat is not always an easy thing to achieve in pvp, and the intention seems to be to make that a necessity, whereas previously particularly vs rogues just the opposite was true to avoid being sapped. It is an impossibility during most pve fights, so it seems that for those the entire mechanism is being largely dismissed which is a huge disappointment.

Hellfire self-damage being removed was long overdue, and I had seen that ability heading the way of the dodo otherwise.

I agree the mastery buffs do seem a bit "boring" in comparison to the shaman ones, and I was surprised to see a crit buff to affliction as opposed to a haste one, though I suppose that is where the stat itself and the effect it has comes into its own.

Plenty to watch and see what happens particularly come the beta, but that limitation to three shards during combat is my biggest worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I think Fel Flame is promising enough in PvP. One of the things that keep warlocks turrets are the cast times. It's a good change for mobility sake, especially for demo ang destro warlocks.

Would love to see some changes on the demon models though. Please. They're too old now.

Demon Intent is Focus Magic, but completely rng. Oh well, it's OK I guess, the buff makes it interesting.

The Succy change is awesome in PvP, this pet will absolutely be the best pet in rated battlegrounds when soloing.

The Imp stacking dot hopefully will increase our fire damage. They need to incorporate something in this pet to balance destro's burst in PvP.

Here's hoping for some good Meta changes. When they mentioned about the Meta abilities, I really wish they just found some way to decrease the no. of abilities it has. Too many to keybind.

Drain Soul refreshing the dots during execute phase is one huge change in Affliction that I really dig. Not only that we can now use Agony in PvP, it means that we can actually get a channel without interruption of the dots.

Would like to see some crit scaling on Drain Soul and Drain Life.

I really want Haunt to just be a debuff to a target when we cast Unstable Affliction but it still deals damage, like how Imp. Devouring Plague works currently. I just hate the travel time of this spell and without it's debuff it's not even worth casting.

Demon Soul looks promising.

They need to update the curses. Merge Curse of Tongues, CoEx and Curse of Weakness, since seriously, no one uses Weakness, NO ONE. Unless they'd buff it to high levels. Yes, it will be a weaker version of Slow, but I'd get what I can get.

Add another good curse.

Please seriously for the love of god adjust the cone on Shadowflame. When melee is on my face it still doesn't hit. This spell is cool with the glyph, utterly useless without it and has a lot of chance to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel
    Out of curiosity, why is it OK for a moderator to make a new thread about these changes instead of posting in the sticky, but everyone else's threads get locked?
    Do what I say, not what I do.

I am not responsible for the double-standard and as a way of apologizing for the mess I have locked my own thread ~Gherkin

Affliction:
    I'm concerned. Overall the changes are a step in the right direction (no clipping = less hand holding!), but I'm apprehensive about the duration changes. I probably need to see it in action, but if you get X% haste and it extends the duration of the dot, it may not actually give you an extra tick until X+1% haste. This means we will have severe gear issues where everyone wants EXACTLY X, Y, or Z% haste and not a penny more or less because not all your spells will receive full benefit.
    Forgive me if someone mentioned this; I'm lazy and only skimmed over the previous posts, but the way I read it is that haste will simply add more dot ticks to the already-set dot duration.

For example: With 0% haste, your UA has only the baseline 5 ticks, but with X% haste, it'll have, say, 7 ticks within the 15 second duration.

fel flame is what we need , good for aff. to refresh UA , but for destro i think re-casting immo still have a hight DPCT unless moving , and for PvP immo. still don't have dispell resist ...so dispelled immo can't be refreshed ,but still good with something to do while moving

Dark Intent has nothing to say , the mage thing.........the only thing i can think of is lock durid 2v2

i think demon soul give a brust CD mostly just something to use every CD or macro it with meta in PvE, want to know what it do with VW maybe a good PvP buff here

sexybus knokback make it a better pet in PvP , not sure about demon soul VW effect so....still a good thing , but we can change demon easier in cata with soul burn

demon bolt , not sure it will be the filter spell or keep it off CD spell for demon , if it is the new demon filter ,i start thinking again.....SB - why it still a destro spell and imp SB still on destro tree ? a destro spell that never used by destro lock but every other lock use all the time ?

shadow burn if used in PvE ....how about its range ?

baseline DoT crit and haste , this is what we can expect , just how is affect our gear choice with the new way DoT will be hasted

CoA and CoD changed and we have CoE left CoW not getting update CoEx is aff only , lock is now more shadow mage with pet , oh no mages have pet already